Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: GPS Apps & Tutorials for Windows Mobile, CE, PNA/PDA & iPhone

Thanks

Default GPS Apps & Tutorials for Windows Mobile, CE, PNA/PDA & iPhone

Welcome to my thread. Here you will find a collection of my tutorials that I have created from scratch for all of you to read and follow. I am hoping this thread will be a sticky and is for general information only in regards to no name GPS units. The links to my tutorials are below.

Firstly, I would like to say that my tutorials only support devices that run Windows Mobile 5.0 to 6.5, PNA and PDA's that run Windows CE 4.2 & 5.0. They do not support TomTom or other brand name PNA's (eg: TomTom navcore / Garmin) - reason being, I don't own a TomTom PNA. There are a lot of brand name PNA's that you can unlock and use other GPS apps, but I will not get into that right now.

I'm going to start this thread off by teaching newbies how to obtain and run multiple GPS applications on your "Chinese brand" GPS unit (or no name GPS's that come from China/Hong Kong) - Yes, these units are cheap and nasty but good for a begginer to learn on and they do the job just well. Don't expect to much from them, however I do own 2 and I have not had any issues. My friends also own some and they also find it very useful. Anyway, lets get down to business........

Oh one more thing, I always tell people this in all my threads, but I thought I will add it in again. Before you ask questions, please remember to use google first, I know forums are here to have your questions answered, but please don't expect people to do the searching for you. DONT be lazy. Eveyone here is willing to help but if you do a search, you will find that your question has already been answered in another thread that is the same or similar. Click on the google image below to ask the world your question ! - If you can't find your answer, please, by all means post your question.

OBTAINING A CHINESE OR NO NAME BRAND GPS UNIT
    1. My first option would be , all you need to do is type in the search field "5.0" inch Bluetooth GPS 2009 MAP FM AV Rearview Camera" or "5.0" GPS BLUETOOTH FM TRANSMITTER MP3 MP4 2GB SD" or words to that effect. This will bring up many results. Choose carefully, as some GPS units don't come from China and don't have a select path, so make sure you ask the seller first before you buy. (we will get to select path soon) - or click to have the search already done.

2. is from Hong Kong, they also sell the same units. Sometimes cheaper then eBay!

3. Here are some sample photos that I borrowed from eBay for educational purposes, so it gives you an idea of how they look like - I'm not trying to sell them, just showing you ! - The below pictures are the All-in-One GPS/DVD car unit and the portable 5" inch unit. The pictures are samples only, and they will differ from unit to unit. They are not all the same but use the same principle to run.

This is the main menu of the All-in-One GPS/DVD car unit

This is what it looks like where you can select your EXE path

They usually have 2 SD card slots, one for GPS apps and one for media files such as AVI/MP3/WMV/WMA/JPG/MPEG/MP4 etc.

NOTE: To have all the GPS apps installed, you need a 4GB SD card, but you can get away with a 2GB if you only want some of them. I have a 4GB in my car for GPS apps.

This is the portable 5" unit. I have purchased this for friends of mine, and they love it. Its the same as the car one, but portable.

WHY NO BRAND GPS ?
    1. Good to learn on.
    2. Does not matter if you stuff it up as they are cheap.
    3. Can load/install as many GPS apps on it as you want.
    4. Plays media files (mp3, avi, etc) that other brand name ones dont.
    5. Enhances your skills in learning all sorts of GPS apps.

WHAT IS A SELECT NAV PATH ?
    This is the important part! - Select EXE File path is where you can search for the exe that tells your unit which exe/app to load. Once you copied your app to the SD card, you can search the EXE and load the GPS application. NOTE: The image below is a sample only, they dont all look like that but it just demonstrates most of them. Its the same principle.

WHY DO I NEED 20 DIFFERENT GPS APPLICATIONS ON MY PHONE OR PNA/PDA ?
    You don't ! - to put it simply. Its personal preference. I load them all on because I like to use a different one every so often. All GPS apps have advantages and disadvantages. For example, iGO8 has TTS but is hard to use, on the other hand route66 is easy to use but doesn't have TTS. Its a bit like having a different girl every week LOL !

WHICH GPS APPLICATIONS CAN I LOAD ON THESE DEVICES ?
    These are the ones I have got working. You can click on the links below to view the tutorial that I have created. Just note however, you may need to read through the thread a little bit to obtain newer versions of maps and software etc. At the time I created these threads, I didnt know about link protection, but downunder35m showed me the light !

(I have seen Navigon to work on these PNA's but I couldnt get it working on any of my devices - No tutorial for this one sorry, but click to download it. Pass MN74)

Here is the latest

(if needed)

IPHONE GPS APPLICATIONS
    I have not writen tutorials for these, but here are the links to download them.

1. You need your iPhone jailbroken.
    2. If you dont know what jailbrake is, then don't even attempt to read further.
    3. Google is your friend, USE IT ! - it will show you how to jailbreak, alternativley go .
    4. You can find info on this forum about these apps.
    5. Blackra1n is available , its the offical website.

a) Thread is - thanks to hoe
    b) Thread is - thanks to dazza60
    c) Thread is - thanks to hoe

Trivia - iGO for iPhone is actually Nav n Go Amigo.

Here is a app that I found that may come in handly for people that hate itunes like me.
    and

Last edited by hollowman; 17-12-09 at 10:39 PM.

2. The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to hollowman For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

aalyasseri (31-07-10),acejas (21-12-09),adam1979 (10-06-11),Axil (07-06-10),Barcode (15-01-10),CInfernus (02-03-10),cowabunga (18-04-10),CrAiGzEE (23-02-12),Godzilla (24-07-10),jasonliu234 (21-01-10),juanjomez (16-10-10),kicamp (26-02-11),kochimurali (16-04-10),Koolio_au (31-01-10),lucky-phill (29-12-09),marty 17 (08-01-11),mattyg (27-05-10),millencolin (27-01-10),noodle181 (07-02-10),nuevo (25-05-10),OpB3 (06-03-10),otlo (14-08-11),Ozkman (17-08-10),pedro99 (10-07-10),Peterpop (24-01-10),phi005 (19-08-10),sdrambo (23-01-10),Seymour Butts (24-01-10),snowball (22-08-11),Stefancpt (04-03-11),Stormz (22-05-10),tomtindall (06-02-10),tristen (13-01-10),waslost (06-07-10),weirdo (02-03-10),WhiteFalcon (21-01-10),wii_key2 (28-02-10),ZoomZoom (20-02-10)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Chinese units can have different ways to unlock, shell, txt, path, exe, ect, see whats on the sd or flash
    Shell.ini
    \VDisk\Navigator\Navigator.exe
    YFGo2CE.bld

Thanks

Thanks Hollowman this is a most enlightening forum and your threads are outstanding. I have recently purchased and installed a Chinese 1 din all in one with 7 inch screen. I notice you have a 4G SD card. My question is do these units read 4G, I was lead to believe that they could only read 2G cards. If so is it a 4G SD or a 4G SDHC. If mine can read 4g it will save me the hassle of carrying multiple cards.

Regards
    Barjop
    1 Din Chinese all in one
    Garmin IQue M5

Thanks

Hey guys,
    does anyone know how to create or where I can find an plugin that allows me to select a map application without selecting the path every time? The idea is to use a plugin which runs as your applciation. This is more like a GUI that loads up 2 or more icons (iGo, tomtom etc) on the screen. You then select a map depending on your mood.
    I did have a hunt around for one of these and all i could find is that there is a program called Wolf ncu but couldn't find program or any info in English on the topic.
    Any ideas?
    Matt

• The Following User Says Thank You to digoptions For This Useful Post:

oldsalt (03-01-10)

Thanks

dig, thats a good idea... yeah it would be good if someone could make a really simple one with icons.... i wonder if these will work ?

or miopocket ?

Thanks

Try these links, the 1st also has a link to the 2nd link.

In the 2nd they talk about a piece of software that is a file manger GSFinder and has a small tutorial on how to use it. I tried with my chinese all in one but have had no success and with the error message in chinese I have no idea. If any one else has an idea i'm all ears

Hope Xmas was good for all
    Regards
    Barjop
    Chinese all in one
    Garmin IQueM5

Thanks

I have also tried it, I also got Chinese writing, although I could see Y on the buttons and rightly assumed it was for Yes.

I installed it all ok, however, the resolution is so low I could hardly use the program.

When I did get it going it was more of a hassle than just selecting a path as normal.

Welcome aboard DigOptions from ya old SA mate.

Thanks

Default poi

can u email me, or tell me how i can get your poi's please. ta
    Michael

Thanks

why email ? share it with us so we all know.... thats what forums are for ???

Thanks

Ok, got my ebay unit today,same as this one
    Have Igo and Garmin running.
    Cannot get TomTom to load.
    Have installed gpsunlock from here
    Good app.
    When I go into file explorer it`s all in chinese. Don`t suppose you know how to change the language on windows ce?

Thanks

dogsfoot, have a read of this thread

Thanks

Did you end up changing the language?

Thanks

nah couldnt work it out... its got something to do with the rom, no idea. but id love to know

Thanks

Thumbs up Multi GPS apps on DoubleDIN units

Quote Originally Posted by hollowman View Post

or miopocket ?
    Hi Hollowman

I've just recvd a new all-in-one GPS/AV/DVD/SDetc doubleDIN unit with 800x480 res (great for mapping!). I've got GarmXT(wCE5) going (albiet slowish) & OziCE & IGO8 (along with the supplied R66). I'd like to unlock the unit to get into the sys to enable mutli GPS icons etc (rather than changing the GPS icon to different paths). I'm worried about Mio unlock apps breaking the system - have u had any luck with these later units?

PS: Thanks for the great threads you've put together.
    Hoddo

PC/Tablet/HTCsmartphone/Atlas
    OziExplore & CE
    G-MapSource/GarmnPC/GarmnXT/GPSmap
    IGO8

Thanks

hoddo, have a read of this thread. You dont need to unlock your unit and i wouldn't recommend you do that...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
    hoddo, have a read of this thread. You dont need to unlock your unit and i wouldn't recommend you do that...

Hollowman
    I use the term 'unlock' to mean get access into WinCe (file_explore etc). I have already achieved that (cant remember the name of the baisc routine - but not MioPocket - far simpler). Anayway got it all going with a custom skin and three GPS apps running along with a few basic apps - very happy. 800x480 res makes all the difference. Can you please assist with how to change the language? - the installed apps present English prompts, but the WinCe apps present chinese - any ideas? Regards

Thanks

Default Is this a PNA and what is the OS?

I'm a newbie and I've purchased a GPS from China but not sure what it is called or what the OS is. I've attached a picture of it.

This is what i get when I tap on the Info tab:
    RomVersion: 7DB82C.YF.F.1211
    Software version: V3.0.9.11
    OEM Info: Custom Information
    Platform ID: 5946504E44383244
    Device ID: 2D8655AA01000164

Is this called a PNA?

Does this use WinCE?

It's a 4.3" unit. How do I find out what the resolution is?

Thanks very much for the thread hollowman. Very very helpful and much appreciated.
    Last edited by Barcode; 15-01-10 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks

its the same one as i have pictured in my first post.... its WINCE 5.0, im not sure what the res is, thats something you find out from the seller that you purchased it from

• The Following User Says Thank You to hollowman For This Useful Post:

Barcode (15-01-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barcode View Post
    I'm a newbie and I've purchased a GPS from China but not sure what it is called or what the OS is. I've attached a picture of it.

This is what i get when I tap on the Info tab:
    RomVersion: 7DB82C.YF.F.1211
    Software version: V3.0.9.11
    OEM Info: Custom Information
    Platform ID: 5946504E44383244
    Device ID: 2D8655AA01000164

Is this called a PNA?

Does this use WinCE?

It's a 4.3" unit. How do I find out what the resolution is?

Thanks very much for the thread hollowman. Very very helpful and much appreciated.
    res is 480x272
    heres a good page for your device
    Last edited by dogsfoot; 16-01-10 at 09:36 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to dogsfoot For This Useful Post:

Barcode (17-01-10)

Thanks

this link/thread will be of interest to people using chinese gps systems or unlocked pna's

thanks to xr5adam

• Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast