Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ness D8X / D16X Serial Comms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by auMatt View Post
    Stuff now available freely on Ness' website. I'm going to release my monitoring software for Windows soon.

It has a simple user interface but generates a web page. Fully configurable. Looking at providing remote arming and maybe disarming etc

Matt
    I will be very interested in this, please upload when you can :-)

Thanks

Ive uploaded my test for you guys to play around with

Unrar the files, move the alarm folder to where you have your webroot, the others file (exe, ocx, ini etc) move somewhere where you can run the program.

Edit the ini file to match your config.

Launch the program and away you go.

It will poll the alarm on start up to try and figure out which zones are current active, then it will sit there monitoring the alarm serial port for data. Will send an email if system is armed and a zone is triggered.

Let me know any criticism or improvements you would like to see.

Matt

Thanks

Unrar the files, move the alarm folder to where you have your webroot, the others file (exe, ocx, ini etc) move somewhere where you can run the program.

It will poll the alarm on start up to try and figure out which zones are current active, then it will sit there monitoring the alarm serial port for data. Will send an email if system is armed and a zone is triggered.

Matt
    Going to get myself a serial interface and test this out soon, glad I have a server running at home.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

I've tried using your program to monitor my NESS D16X Alarm Panel but have run into a couple of issues that you might be able to help with.

When I run the executable file after configuring the INI parameters to suit my system I get a Windows Error dialogue box saying something about executables not registered. I've manually registered the two DLL's contained in your zip file. I need to come back to you with the exact error message.

Are there any other requirements, like a particular installation of DotNet Framework or similar that needs to be installed? I'm running on Windows 7.

Secondly, I've found that using the NESSCOMMS software over the serial interface that I need to be in Installer Mode before I can communicate with the panel. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the firmware that I'm running (v 5.8) or some other issue.

I was wondering if that would be an issue when it comes to using your software to recieve status info from the panel? I've turned on all the settings associated with ASCII mesage reporting in the panel but until I can get your software running, I wont know if it works.

Incidentally, Nesscomms software has a page that allows you to review "current" status such as Zone Status and Alarm Messages etc, but I can only read the Alarm history if I am once again in Installer Mode.

I cant' get the "Current Status" page to work at all which is a bit of a worry.

All this made me wonder if the firmware version of the panel is too old and will prevent your application from working correctly. Any ideas/suggestions?

Elio

Thanks

This particular software is written in VB6, Im thinking its probably an issue between the 64bit version of windows thats causing the issue, do a google search on registering ocx files under win64.

Cheers

Matt

Thanks

The error message I get when I try running NessTester.exe is a dialogue box with "Run-Time error '429' " "ActiveX component can't create object"

Im running Windows 7 32bit. I've registered both OCX libraries with the RegSvr32 command and copied the OCX files into the System32 directory but still no joy.

I'm trying with a direct connection to the alarm panel over serial before buying an IP Serial Server so this should rule out any misconfiguration issues with comms hardware.

Thanks, Elio

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Venturis View Post
    The error message I get when I try running NessTester.exe is a dialogue box with "Run-Time error '429' " "ActiveX component can't create object"

Im running Windows 7 32bit. I've registered both OCX libraries with the RegSvr32 command and copied the OCX files into the System32 directory but still no joy.

I'm trying with a direct connection to the alarm panel over serial before buying an IP Serial Server so this should rule out any misconfiguration issues with comms hardware.

Thanks, Elio
    Did you register the vbSendmail.dll also?

Matt

Thanks

Hey all,

Interesting to see how you're using the ASCII protocol to do things like this, always great to hear people playing with it!
    I am sorry it took so long to get a reply, unfortunately sometimes we are snowed under, and so replies take a while!

I'd like to point out that the ASCII protocol we include is a broadcast only, and as such there can always be problems with the data coming back. That said, using the IP232 interface and the $10 iPhone/iPad/Android app, you can do exactly what your program is trying to do, without running it on your computer.
    Alternatively we have a piece of hardware that does this with way more consistency.

If you don't want to go down either of those paths there is no problem with you playing around with the ASCII protocol, it is there to be played with
    Personally I love trying to do weird things in the office here - such as turning on our kettle when I press CTRL+F1, through our network. (Using a python script, and the D8's relays).

If you have any questions etc, send me a PM and I can either email you info, or talk over the phone.
    Happy playing!

FYI the ASCII protocol is available:
    Last edited by woody2371; 03-04-13 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the response, at the time of my coding this program the IPhone app wasnt released. I run my own server anyways for mail, web and energy monitoring so adding the alarm functionality wasnt an issue. I havent played with it too much recently but I wanted to add an Arm function to it, so I can atleast arm it if I forget to. The code is still very bugger, doesnt handle error gracefully and still doesnt process everything correctly but im hoping to get some time in the near future to get it up to a much higher standard.

In regards to the Iphone app, I heard that you cant access it from outside your local network, is that true? And it would be nice if it worked with my Serial-Ethernet converter also Does the app have the ability to alert you if a zone is triggered under armed status?

Thanks again

Matt

Thanks

Hey Matt,

Some people seem to be under the impression it doesn't work outside the network. Our D8/D16 in the office here reports to my phone perfectly okay when I am out and about .
    It's just a matter of port forwarding, and a static IP address. Sometimes we have issues with iiNet, but this can be solved with a little port troubleshooting (it's their end blocking it).

As for reporting when the zone is triggered under arm status, at the moment there is no push notifications, as I'm sure you're aware the Apple push server really isn't that reliable.
    Instead we suggest using some kind of reporting feature (call over GSM for example) to notify you that the alarm has been activated, and then you have the ability to open up the app to check the status.

That said, push notifications are coming, however as they are not reliable I never suggest using that as the central reporting feature of your alarm.

Thanks

Hi Guys,
    I would be interested in seeing how the app/software is coming along .

Also, as we have the Serial to IP converter since the serial port on the D8X/ D16X is free flowing then you use this data.
    IP232 ETHERNET TO SERIAL BRIDGE (bi-directional) Part Number : K-6002
    The NESSCOMMS is strictly for programming so it is not good for what you need BUT there is a SDK available and this is perfect for correlating the data and producing an app or software around the serial data.
    Do you have the SDK ?

regards

Ness Corporation

Proudly Australian Owned and 40yrs Strong
    Last edited by MCman; 04-04-13 at 03:49 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the response woody2371, I'll have to buy the app then top see if it works with me RS232/IP Interface.

MCMan, I dont have the SDK, I would be interested in having a look at it though

Matt

Thanks

Please see private message including the link from me
    Enjoy
    Last edited by woody2371; 05-04-13 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks

Thanks guys.

Thanks

No problem

Thanks

Default Raspberry pi

Hi Guys,

I have tried many different avenues to source the Nesscomm software, no one including Ness want to help. I am basically looking at programming an Arduino to communicate with my D16X, which will then communicate to my server and display realtime activity of my system over the web. I have worked out the majority of the protocol but there are some things I need to use the Nesscomm for.

If any one could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Matt
    Hi Matt

I have just finished installing my D16X and I was hoping to put my Raspberry pi to a similar use to what you're doing with Arduino, I was wondering how you've gong with this, and even though they're different devices I'd be interested to see what kind of hurdles you've come across.

Cheers,
    Stephen

Thanks

Quick tip guys,
    you need to enable free flowing RS232 in programming otherwise the port is limited to upload/download via nesscomms.
    Check the manual for the exact location.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoog View Post
    Hi Matt

I have just finished installing my D16X and I was hoping to put my Raspberry pi to a similar use to what you're doing with Arduino, I was wondering how you've gong with this, and even though they're different devices I'd be interested to see what kind of hurdles you've come across.

Cheers,
    Stephen
    Stephen,

Never got around to doing the Arduino stuff, mainly because I got my Windows software working, then sort of lost inspiration again

Matt

Thanks

Fair enough Matt

I just ordered a compatible USB-RS232 adaptor and USB wifi dongle, I'm hoping to have the pi log the events that the D16X generates and drop them into a mySQL table, so I can then draw info from that logged data with a simple PHP web interface, as well as be able to control the system via the same web interface.

We'll see how I go, as I haven't delved this far into programming before, and this is a few pieces of functionality that I have to tie together.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zoog View Post
    Fair enough Matt

I just ordered a compatible USB-RS232 adaptor and USB wifi dongle, I'm hoping to have the pi log the events that the D16X generates and drop them into a mySQL table, so I can then draw info from that logged data with a simple PHP web interface, as well as be able to control the system via the same web interface.

We'll see how I go, as I haven't delved this far into programming before, and this is a few pieces of functionality that I have to tie together.
    If you need any help with anything let me know

Matt

• Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast