Thread: Transmitting Humax UHF Signal around the house

Thanks

Default Transmitting Humax UHF Signal around the house

I'd like to transmit my Humax 5400 on a UHF channel over my existing TV antenna cabling so that I can tune the other TV's in my house.

My brother told me how he's done this with his Foxtel box... what he did is took out any splitters he had in the roof and he connected all his cables together (just by twisting them) so he didn't have to worry about IN's and OUT's of splitters....
    At one end of the house he just has the RF out plugged into the wall socket, then on one of his other TV's in another rooms he has an AMP to boost the signal. To change channels he is using a wireless remote extender. (from his experience and mine, the picture was crappy when trying to transmit the video and sound as well, but the remote works fiine which is why he has the video going via his antenna cabling)

So now back to my senario...

Currently I have an antenna on/in the roof.... that goes to a splitter (non powered) this splits off to 3 connections and the 4th goes to another powered splitter/amp, which splits off to 4 more connections throughout the house..... I'm currently only using about 3-4 of the outlets (the rest might get used when I get kids .

I tried connecting my humax box to one of the outlets off the first splitter and also tried off the second splitter.... both with similiar results... the other TV's picked it up... but very very pooring....

So can anyone suggest how I could do this to get the best picture on most of the TV's??

Am I wasting my time trying to hook this into one of my existing connections so they are all connect to the OUTs of the splitters? If not, could an amp coming from my RF out into the wall socket help?

Or do I really need to hook this in series with my antenna before it goes to any of the splitters??? Will this stuff up my other channels signals?

(I've been doing my testing with a really long cable coming from my dish there is definitley no problem with this cable cause if I plug the RF out directly to a TV I get a perfect picture).

One last question while I'm here....
    If I get a new TV that has a built in Digital Tuner, will it still pick up analog channels? ie if I get the above system working, will I still be able to get the UHF channel?

Thanks for anyones suggestions/comments.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

one solution, you can use a diplexer and hook that into the cable between the antenna and splitter. an amp may need to be used, but see how it goes. the diplexer is so that you do not transmit your humax to the neighbours.

Thanks

Yikes I never thought about that! So my antenna could become a transmitter which others could tune into??
    Does a diplexer have any benefits for my system? Or just stops it going out?

Thanks

Thanks

A diplexer is only to combine both Sat/Terrestial on one cable.I have used this if u can't drop another cable (for satellite) thru a wall cavity due to a frame-steel or very thick wood within the cavity.
    If u are feeding the signal from your Humax throughout the house I suggest EITHER
    buy a 2.4 or 5.8 ghz video sender with multiple receivers on each room thru AV output of your Hummy..
    OR
    Run another coax cable from RF Out of your Hummy to your splitter BUT before you join it to your splitter,use another splitter as a combiner in reverse from your antenna cable or a Tap..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CONAXLE View Post
    A diplexer is only to combine both Sat/Terrestial on one cable.I have used this if u can't drop another cable (for satellite) thru a wall cavity due to a frame-steel or very thick wood within the cavity.
    If u are feeding the signal from your Humax throughout the house I suggest EITHER
    buy a 2.4 or 5.8 ghz video sender with multiple receivers on each room thru AV output of your Hummy..
    OR
    Run another coax cable from RF Out of your Hummy to your splitter BUT before you join it to your splitter,use another splitter as a combiner in reverse from your antenna cable or a Tap..
    I don't want to link my Antenna with my Satelite coax.... I just want to hack into the antenna cable with the RF out from my hummy....
    Could you elaborate a bit more on your second comment? Normally a splitter has 1 in an 2(or more) out.... So would I still use a diplexor??? the RF out and the terestrial antenna will go in one side of it, and the out will go to my existing splitters? Is this what you meant by "combiner"?

Thanks

Thanks

What ive done.
    My set up is one sat reciever on one side of the house and a tv next to it and a tv on the other side of the house.
    The house antenna goes into the rf input of the sat receiver.
    The rf output from the sat reciever is split with a splitter.
    One of the splitter outputs goes to the tv next to the sat reciever.
    The other is run back into the wall, over to the other tv on the other side of the house.
    This tv has all terestrial channels as well as whatever sat channel is on the sat receiver.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by global88 View Post
    What ive done.
    My set up is one sat reciever on one side of the house and a tv next to it and a tv on the other side of the house.
    The house antenna goes into the rf input of the sat receiver.
    The rf output from the sat reciever is split with a splitter.
    One of the splitter outputs goes to the tv next to the sat reciever.
    The other is run back into the wall, over to the other tv on the other side of the house.
    This tv has all terestrial channels as well as whatever sat channel is on the sat receiver.
    Nail on the head global88................or if more TVs use the reverse 2 way splitter for the sat rf and tv antenna into another splitter to multiple tvs..................this has worked for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shonkster View Post
    I don't want to link my Antenna with my Satelite coax.... I just want to hack into the antenna cable with the RF out from my hummy....
    Could you elaborate a bit more on your second comment? Normally a splitter has 1 in an 2(or more) out.... So would I still use a diplexor??? the RF out and the terestrial antenna will go in one side of it, and the out will go to my existing splitters? Is this what you meant by "combiner"?

Thanks
    No you don't need a dipexor,Yes that is what I mean using a splitter as a combiner.I have the same setup as Global88 so refer to his post if you still can't work it out.

Cheers..

Thanks

OK well I ran my cables but one thing was overlooked which stuffed me up....
    I have a mast head amp (I think thats what its called) which is powered....

So the original setup was... from the amp, to a two way splitter.....
    The two way splitter goes to two 4-way splitters then off to the TV's.
    Off one of those 4way splitters is an inline power module.

I ran a new cable from my amp to the RF in on my Humax box, then from the RF out on the Humax back into the IN of the first two way splitter....

When I do this I get nothing....

I had to disconnect the humax and just put a straight through cable between each plug to get the rest of the system working....
    So I guess the Humax can't put power through to my amp......

So now what?
    Its a bit late now to get up in the roof but I'm after more suggestions for when I can get up there again....

On the amp, it doesn't actually have an IN and an OUT.... Could I put the power module inline with the Antenna going into the AMP? That seems like the only way?

Thanks

Thanks

hmm... maybe, if applicable, you could diplex the humax output, and the cable coming off the antenna, and have that going to a distributor/amplifier, then split to the other rooms.

Thanks

all you need to do is
    extend cable from the first splitter after the amp and run to stb then out of stb to where it went into splitter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mickc View Post
    all you need to do is
    extend cable from the first splitter after the amp and run to stb then out of stb to where it went into splitter
    Thats pretty much how it is now.... But like I said above, the power module is connected through one of the outputs on one of the splitters via the power pass ports.....

When the Humax is in series with the amp and the splitters it looks like the power isn't getting through to the amp.... My amp doesn't have any LED indicators but I'm making this assumption because all of my other TV's don't work any more. (Same effect when I disconnect power to the amp)

Thanks

ok here is the simplest thing for you to do. Dont worry about what works for others just worry about what you need to do yourself.

where your masthead amp runs to your 2 way splitter, unhook input from Masthead, and run another two way splitter (must be an all power ports passive one) in reverse, run a coax from your humax RF out up to the spare input on the 2 way splitter used in reverse and your in buisness.
    You might have to set UHF output on humax to a slightly different mhz setting as its close to one of the local stations and might cause interference.

see how you go.

Thanks

Just trying to understand what you mean.....

From the Masthead amp it will go into one output of the new two way splitter,
    The other output will go to my existing two way splitter. And the input on the new splitter will go to the RF out on my Humax box.
    Then the RF In doesn't need to go into the Humax at all? Is that right?

Thanks

I know this isn't what you are realing talking about...............but why not just get an AV sender unit, and a couple of receivers units, and your done the newer slightly more expensive once don't even interfer with wireless internet and the wireless phones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mudcrab View Post
    I know this isn't what you are realing talking about...............but why not just get an AV sender unit, and a couple of receivers units, and your done the newer slightly more expensive once don't even interfer with wireless internet and the wireless phones.
    Yeah I've ordered one of the 5.8Ghz ones
    I just wanted to be able to tune all the TV's into the UHF channel... From my experience I get very crappy picture and sound from using those things.... I could be proven wrong with a new style one.... I'll know in a day or two.
    I thought it would be an easy enough task to broadcast to all the TV's in the house without the need of the reciever units.... And I was hoping to get good quality picture out of it. Changing channels would be an issue but not concerned about that as much....

At least with my old AV Sender, the remote extender part of it worked so I could change channels.... but I had very bad sound and picture quality... See why I'm trying to do this?
    Sound and video via coax.... use the entender for changing channels....

I've already ordered this thing now... but are there units that can just extend the remote (not line of sight)
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shonkster View Post
    Just trying to understand what you mean.....

From the Masthead amp it will go into one output of the new two way splitter,
    The other output will go to my existing two way splitter. And the input on the new splitter will go to the RF out on my Humax box.
    Then the RF In doesn't need to go into the Humax at all? Is that right?

in first splitter (used in reverse) have masthead cable in 1 output and run coax from humax rf out to 2nd ouput,(your just using outputs as new inputs, combiners work aswell if you can get one of those) then the input into other 2 way splitter input..

Remember the splitter has to be power pass passive