Thread: Can you redirect Foxtel twin signals to separate hardware?

Thanks

Default Can you redirect Foxtel twin signals to separate hardware?

Hey guys,

I've got no idea what I'm doing (anymore) with technology and am lost with terms like LNB and STB . . . . I have Foxtel with twin tuners, and just bought a Sony HDD/DVD recorder (single tuner.) Can anyone tell me if it's possible to separate the twin signals, so that one goes to DVD recorder, and one goes to TV? Would like to be able to record both at once . . .

My biggest problem right now, is that ALL our TV, incl free to air, comes through Foxtel, as our signal is so weak . . .and with three small children at home, as soon as one changes the foxtel channel, there goes the recording!

Would be VERY grateful for ANY help!!

Cheers,
    Nel

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Hey guys,

I've got no idea what I'm doing (anymore) with technology and am lost with terms like LNB and STB . . . . I have Foxtel with twin tuners, and just bought a Sony HDD/DVD recorder (single tuner.) Can anyone tell me if it's possible to separate the twin signals, so that one goes to DVD recorder, and one goes to TV? Would like to be able to record both at once . . .

My biggest problem right now, is that ALL our TV, incl free to air, comes through Foxtel, as our signal is so weak . . .and with three small children at home, as soon as one changes the foxtel channel, there goes the recording!

Cheers,
    Nel

Please clarify whether you are on a Cable connection or a Satellite?
    You've posted in the cable section, but appear to have satellite?
    Either way, you can only split the signal after the decoder with your current setup.

Thanks

Either way, you can only split the signal after the decoder with your current setup.

oh dear . . .I said I was tech-challenged!

Yes, I have a satellite, and two co-ax cables coming from it, to the foxtel. What do you mean by a decoder? And how would I split the signal after it?

Thanks

I'll try and get a Moderator to move this to the correct forum first and then answer.

• The Following User Says Thank You to beer4life For This Useful Post:

Elf (29-12-09)

Thanks

Wink

oh dear . . .I said I was tech-challenged!

Yes, I have a satellite, and two co-ax cables coming from it, to the foxtel. What do you mean by a decoder? And how would I split the signal after it?

G'day Cobber, we've arrived in the correct forum.
    The Decoder box is your STB, be it Satellite or Terrestrial. Referred to as a Decoder Box as that is where you need to put your Subscription Card.
    You do indeed have a quandary.
    If you need to spit the signal before the Box, you would need two Boxes and cards.
    If you can't record one channel locked, and the other switchable due to the itchy fingers, one recourse is to have a second decoder and card (at additional cost), or perhaps a little complicated for you, a suitable Dream Box with in house card Sharing.
    Perhaps others will let you know if there is a way of isolating one tuner?

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Last edited by beer4life; 29-12-09 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks

Please provide the details (model) of your Foxtel Box (with the twin tuners) as this may help with providing an accurate answer.

Seems strange your Foxtel box has twin tuners, if it doesn't have a HDD?
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkchops View Post
    Please provide the details (model) of your Foxtel Box (with the twin tuners) as this may help with providing an accurate answer.

Seems strange your Foxtel box has twin tuners, if it doesn't have a HDD?
    We had Foxtel IQ (Foxtel insisted) for 12 months free, and now the monthly charge is kicking in. I've asked Foxtel to lose the IQ, and they will be disabling it next week, but leaving the unit as is. The box is surprisingly short of model numbers etc. . . .any ideas where I'd look? It is an IQ (not IQ2), complete with HDD (which is soon to be inaccessible.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post

If you need to spit the signal before the Box, you would need two Boxes and cards.
    If you can't record one channel locked, and the other switchable due to the itchy fingers, one recourse is to have a second decoder and card (at additional cost), or perhaps a little complicated for you, a suitable Dream Box with in house card Sharing.
    Perhaps others will let you know if there is a way of isolating one tuner?

Hey Druid,

Thanks for the tech-speak lesson

I think that the Dreambox is unfortunately a little out of my price league at this point, but thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks

We had Foxtel IQ (Foxtel insisted) for 12 months free, and now the monthly charge is kicking in. I've asked Foxtel to lose the IQ, and they will be disabling it next week, but leaving the unit as is. The box is surprisingly short of model numbers etc. . . .any ideas where I'd look? It is an IQ (not IQ2), complete with HDD (which is soon to be inaccessible.)
    No further information required - as infromation you supplied above answers my question.

Sorta defeats the purpose of the dual tuner in the IQ, as can't imagine you would be able to use more than one after the changes occur!
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkchops View Post
    Sorta defeats the purpose of the dual tuner in the IQ, as can't imagine you would be able to use more than one after the changes occur!
    Which is kinda the reason for wanting to separate the signals from foxtel to the DVD and TV!

. . .although, now I'm wondering if Foxtel will also disable one of the tuners . . . they aren't great at providing information on anything that DOESN'T include IQ now.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

You can separate the Foxtel Signal by using a Spaun Multiswitch, (about $30 on ebay)

this is done by connecting the Two Input cables from your IQ STB to the Two input places on the Spaun Multiswitch & you will then have 8 Foxtel output cables for eight devices,

Problems are
    1. You will need a Foxtel card & STB for each output to decode the Foxtel signal,
    2. Your DVD recorder will not work connected to a separate Foxtel line unless you have a Satellite tuner in the DVD recorder, & then you will need another Foxtel card too,

You may be able to connect your DVD recorder to your Foxtel IQ, if it has a VCR out, but may not be able to record successfully because of copy protection used by Foxtel

If you want to view different programs on different TVs you should get an extra STB from Foxtel, (Multiroom)

Good Luck
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

Elf (29-12-09)

Thanks

If you are getting all of your TV stations including FTA thru the Foxtel box you might not have an antenna.
    Maybe you could get an antenna & watch FTA stations in another room.
    iam a bogan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    You can separate the Foxtel Signal by using a Spaun Multiswitch, (about $30 on ebay)

Problems are
    1. You will need a Foxtel card & STB for each output to decode the Foxtel signal,

You may be able to connect your DVD recorder to your Foxtel IQ, if it has a VCR out, but may not be able to record successfully because of copy protection used by Foxtel

Good Luck
    Ah. I'm beginning to think that what I want to do is also known as "stealing cable." Oops . . .

Thanks everyone for the input. I've got a much better understanding of how this all works!

NB The DVD is recording Foxtel just fine
    Last edited by Elf; 29-12-09 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to add stuff

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mate View Post
    If you are getting all of your TV stations including FTA thru the Foxtel box you might not have an antenna.
    Maybe you could get an antenna & watch FTA stations in another room.
    mmm . . .the antenna's not great, but we live in a valley and we're not the only one with problems. However, if the kids (or me) are desperate enough . . . might be worth putting some effort into improving it.

"When I was a little girl, we only had a tiny little black and white TV, and only three channels to choose from . . .. "

Thanks

Question

How much extra are you talking $10? I thought that is included in the new iq pakage or are we going to be charged an extra $10 at the end of contract.

Thanks

Hey guys,

Cheers,
    Nel
    There is another option