Thread: How do I get rid of drwt32.exe?

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Default How do I get rid of drwt32.exe?

WinXP machine with browser running in the background using up to 99% CPU. Doesn't matter if Firefox or IE are default.
    Browser window is not actually open and machine is practically dead (very slow).
    I shut down the browser process in the task manager, fan is quiet and machine runs smooth for a few seconds until browser pops up by itself again.

drwt32.exe keeps reactivating itself twice in the startup menu and keeps coming back when I delete it in windows/system32 folder of course.

Google info is confusing, sometimes drwt32 is claimed to be a sign of virus but I find no decent, working removal and is often mixed up with drwtsn32.

Avast, Kaspersky and Trojan Remover find nothing maliciuos!
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Ok follow these steps and hopefully it will get rid of it for you.
    1-disable system restore.
    2-boot into safe mode, go into MSCONFIG and remove it from the startup window.
    3-delete it from the file it's in, try C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Local Settings\Application Data most of the time it would be there. you need to view hidden folders to get into this.
    4-Clear all temp files. I would do another full virus scan in safe mode
    then reboot normally and see if that serves you.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Aboulaly For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (30-12-09)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Thanks, I forgot all about "safe mode", been using Ubuntu too long.
    There seemed to be two instances of drwt32.exe but they stayed deleted this time.
    One might have been a legit file and the other a virus with the same name. Just shows how unreliable the virus scanners can be.
    Anyhow, runs now ultra smooth without it.
    It must have sneaked in through a USB stick as this computer is never connected to the net under Windows.
    Who knows what damage this virus/trojan might have caused if it had been, with it's persistent browser activity.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 30-12-09 at 06:56 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Good to hear its fixed.

It might be worth turning off system restore while trying to clear nastys as they can hide there and be restored after cleaning.

Malwarebytes is a really good free scanner plus you will find a few good utilitys on there site.

These utilitys will delete anything - Including stuff you need for the system to work

Last edited by SystemRat; 30-12-09 at 08:31 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SystemRat For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (31-12-09)