Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver (as sold on ebay)

Thanks

Just purchased a TomTom XL340 Live in the USA, this has AWSOME Traffic features... check out my mini review..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_DLwP-KL4]YouTube - TomTom XL340 Live Review[/ame]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 862 Posts

Well ,who cares??
    This thread is for TMC in Australia and your ideo shows the US model.
    Your "review" is nothing else than getting more hits for your video and completely useless for any Australian model that uses the TMC receiver
    If you get all features working for Australian maps please post another review with tutorial on how to get it working with the TMC receiver instead of live services

But ,would be nice if TT and Suna would offer a working service for all areas and for free like on the Garmin models.....
    Last edited by Downunder35m; 30-01-10 at 10:00 PM.
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Thanks

Hey.. sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone.. I can delete the post if you all feel it inappropriate...

I posted it to also show what we are missing out on in Australia.. I have given up on Suna with my Tomtom GPS in Australia.. after all the emails and replies, it does not even work in Sydney when I tested it last week..

Also, I searched high and low for a real user video of the Tomtoms with Live services and couldn't find one.. so hopefully it will benefit someone...?? even aussies visiting the USA??
    Last edited by rob2160; 01-02-10 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks

No offence at all!
    But it might be a good idea to open a new thread with that info ,otherwise it will be hard to find in the forum.
    The thread is about the RDS receiver and noone would look for the Live services here

Thanks

I live in Brisbane and operate a GO720 with the TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver and I find it pretty good.
    The traffic updates frequently and the estimates it gives for delays are usually spot on.
    I do however have a little issue with it quote average speeds for congestion in MPH's, however this may be just a setting I haven't come across.

I also like the fact that it warns you that there may be unexpected delays when sporting events are on (such as cricket at the Gabba)

My weather service also operates the same as that shown in the video, so I don't understand why that it so special
    (however, mine reads it in Fahrenheit)

One question if I may Downunder35m.....Is there a way of updating the list of mobile phones for pairing with the unit?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Downunder35m View Post
    That sounds for me like the normal receiver for Europe - I don't think it will support the SUNA service ,only free TMS receiving.
    Maybe you should contact SUNA tell them that you bought this device from a reseller that claims it works for SUNA.See what they say.....
    Tomtom RDS-TMC receivers work with Suna in Australia. It is the same system world wide, whether it is Suna in Australia or whoever in Europe or the USA.

I bought my Tomtom RDS-TMC receiver from the UK and it works fine here in Australia.

Thanks

Well ,who cares??
    This thread is for TMC in Australia and your ideo shows the US model.
    Your "review" is nothing else than getting more hits for your video and completely useless for any Australian model that uses the TMC receiver
    If you get all features working for Australian maps please post another review with tutorial on how to get it working with the TMC receiver instead of live services

But ,would be nice if TT and Suna would offer a working service for all areas and for free like on the Garmin models.....
    Downunder - normally I wouldn't bother commenting, but in this particular instance, you just keep harping on with the same old nonsense and you obviously don't know what you are talking about. I wish you would just stop your tirade about RDS-TMC and Tomtom.

As above the Tomtom RDS-TMC receiver works anywhere in the world with a Tomtom GPS, with whoever is supplying the service, end of story.

There is only one standard, not different ones for each country, although different Tomtoms use different connectors so you need to get the one that plugs into your model of Tomtom.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MyComputer View Post
    Downunder - normally I wouldn't bother commenting, but in this particular instance, you just keep harping on with the same old nonsense and you obviously don't know what you are talking about. I wish you would just stop your tirade about RDS-TMC and Tomtom.

As above the Tomtom RDS-TMC receiver works anywhere in the world with a Tomtom GPS, with whoever is supplying the service, end of story.

There is only one standard, not different ones for each country, although different Tomtoms use different connectors so you need to get the one that plugs into your model of Tomtom.

alright then smart ass, if you know everything, then can you be so kind in telling everyone as to WHY thousands of people buy these stupid TMC devices and they never work ?

Are these thousands of people stupid / illiterate / dont know what they are doing? if so, please say so and prove me wrong...

IF DU dosen't know what he is talking about, then thats fine, but if your going to make a comment like that, at least back yourself up and explain and expand on what you said... (have you actually read through this whole thread or did you just read the last few and make decisions/comments from there ?)
    Last edited by hollowman; 01-02-10 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added more "tell off" lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
    if so, please say so and prove me wrong...
    Instead of trying to attack me why don't you start off by simply reading my post above. Also please note "exaggeration" does not improve your reputation here. I'm sure there are NOT thousands of people who have bought these receivers and cannot get them to work. Do you have any proof at all about your claim?

Also note comments like "added more "tell off" lol " also add nothing to your credibility.

I bought a Tomtom RDS-TMC from the UK and it works perfectly in Australia.

The RDS-TMC system is a standard used world wide. There is not one system for the UK and another for Europe and another for America and another for Australia.

I have no idea why DU has a vendetta against the RDS-TMC system here in Australia, but almost every post I've read from him over the past few months has been negative. Like I said, normally I wouldn't bother, but it is about time someone set the record straight.

Even the some of the Australian distributors are telling you it works (read above post from another user), but still the negative comments come out about "it doesn't work, you must have one for a different country" blah, blah.
    Last edited by MyComputer; 01-02-10 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballbelter View Post
    I live in Brisbane and operate a GO720 with the TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver and I find it pretty good.
    The traffic updates frequently and the estimates it gives for delays are usually spot on.
    I do however have a little issue with it quote average speeds for congestion in MPH's, however this may be just a setting I haven't come across.

I also like the fact that it warns you that there may be unexpected delays when sporting events are on (such as cricket at the Gabba)

My weather service also operates the same as that shown in the video, so I don't understand why that it so special

One question if I may Downunder35m.....Is there a way of updating the list of mobile phones for pairing with the unit?

Sorry ,the only way I know is by replacing some files when using a SE Navcore ,but would have no idea in which _Navcore a certain phone odel is supported.

If it would be nonsense than I would not post it!
    I'm happy for you if your service is working and you like it.
    As a matter of fact the RDS-TMC receivers don't wok everywhere - that is why you need a special receiver for the US for example.
    So much for your knowledge and your comment "There is only one standard, not different ones for each country"
    The European models work in Australia because the same standard and the same frequencies are used.
    Only problem is that they use the free available frequencies and not the SUNA service - that is why for example in Melbourne you would be lost as there is only one station left with a non SUNA signal (and the service is to slow and not up to date).
    One other fact is the the older models (which are still being sold on Ebay) have poor reception qualities and would not work at all downunder.
    For these models Tomtom has offered a free update to the newer model.
    I don't want to offend you ,but as a matter of fact you can find my name in several other GPS forums -and not always as a user. So maybe I might know what I'm talking about?
    I'm doing Tomtom's for some years now , so please don't try to lecture me in your way.

Thanks

Instead of trying to attack me why don't you start off by simply reading my post above. Also please note "exaggeration" does not improve your reputation here. I'm sure there are NOT thousands of people who have bought these receivers and cannot get them to work. Do you have any proof at all about your claim?

Also note comments like "added more "tell off" lol " also add nothing to your credibility.

I bought a Tomtom RDS-TMC from the UK and it works perfectly in Australia.

The RDS-TMC system is a standard used world wide. There is not one system for the UK and another for Europe and another for America and another for Australia.

I have no idea why DU has a vendetta against the RDS-TMC system here in Australia, but almost every post I've read from him over the past few months has been negative. Like I said, normally I wouldn't bother, but it is about time someone set the record straight.

Even the some of the Australian distributors are telling you it works (read above post from another user), but still the negative comments come out about "it doesn't work, you must have one for a different country" blah, blah.
    man which bus did you get off ???
    you lost ALL your credibility when you opened your mouth and said that DU doesn't know what his talking about... yes you are right i lost my credibility, i went down to your level, stupid me !!

my reputation is here is just fine thank you very much, and lots of people respect me for all the help iv done here...

Do you have any proof at all about your claim?

yeah i do, just type it in google and let your mouse do the searching and you will find lots of proof... i actually dont need to prove anything to you... i know what i know

So much for your knowledge and your comment "There is only one standard, not different ones for each country"
    (that is exactly right... same concept of NTSC and PAL) not all work in all countries !!
    just because the retail outlets says it work, doesn't mean it does, they dont know eveything !!
    Last edited by hollowman; 01-02-10 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks

Just read the posts since my last..

I can say.. direct from Suna and TomTom, that it will NOT work in Perth..

They advised me it would work in Sydney but it did not work for me.. I could not pick up any traffic and after a 15 minute period it disconnected each time.. I just gave up.. I'll used my Garmin in Aus...

Its all good guys.. everyone is here to help, even if we get it wrong sometimes...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballbelter View Post
    delays when sporting events are on (such as cricket at the Gabba)

Really? I didn't know TMC gives you weather also.. That's cool. I can't get mine to work at all.. Its a TMC receiver purchased in the last 2 months from Tomtom on a brand new XXL 540 with the latest maps...

As for the 340 Live unit in the video.. it was set to Fahrenheit but I changed it to Celcius in the "Set Units" page..

Thanks

As a matter of fact the RDS-TMC receivers don't wok everywhere - that is why you need a special receiver for the US for example.
    RDS-TMC in the US uses the same FM frequency band as that used in Australia, UK and Europe. The Tomtom RDS-TMC device scans the entire range and will lock onto which ever frequency is in use in the area you are in. If you wish you can also manually set the local frequency and over ride Tomtom's automatic scan.

Only problem is that they use the free available frequencies and not the SUNA service - that is why for example in Melbourne you would be lost as there is only one station left with a non SUNA signal (and the service is to slow and not up to date).
    I'd suggest you look at the Suna website and you will see Tomtom IS supported. Tomtom has agreements, or licenses if you like, worldwide (including with Suna) which is why the devices work anywhere in the world.

fyi, here is a link on the Suna website relating to Tomtom.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob2160 View Post
    JI can say.. direct from Suna and TomTom, that it will NOT work in Perth..
    It will work in Perth, Suna transmit information in Perth:

Quote Originally Posted by rob2160 View Post
    They advised me it would work in Sydney but it did not work for me.
    I use mine in Sydney and it works fine.
    Last edited by MyComputer; 02-02-10 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
    (that is exactly right... same concept of NTSC and PAL) not all work in all countries !!
    just because the retail outlets says it work, doesn't mean it does, they dont know eveything !!
    Do you even have a Tomtom and RDS-TMC?

With all due respect, I'd say you are talking out of your posterior.

Thanks

yes im talking out of that, ok
    no i dont have one and i wont buy one because there are just to many reports that it just dont work...

simple

Thanks

you can find some background info on the data is collected and handled.

Thanks

It will work in Perth, Suna transmit information in Perth:

I use mine in Sydney and it works fine.
    Yes, I saw all the advertising literature as well.. but trust me.. I have personally spoken with a senior Tech from Suna and Tomtom..

Suna is in Perth.. Yes..

Does Tomtom have a licensing agreement with Suna for Perth -- NO!

This was confirmed in a phone call directly from both Suna and Tomtom...

So don't beleive all the advertising hype...

They did advise me it would work in Sydney but mine didn't...

As for the TMC working in the USA.. again.. absolutely NOT.. when I connected it to my XXL540, with the Latest USA map.. it said that it was not compatible with this country.. (I don't remember the exact words and I'm in my hotel in Wichita right now.. but I will hook it up tomorrow in the car, take a video of what it says and post it here as proof...

The locally purchased XL340 Live works perfectly...
    Last edited by rob2160; 03-02-10 at 01:53 PM.

Thanks

RDS-TMC in the US uses the same FM frequency band as that used in Australia, UK and Europe. The Tomtom RDS-TMC device scans the entire range and will lock onto which ever frequency is in use in the area you are in. If you wish you can also manually set the local frequency and over ride Tomtom's automatic scan.

I'd suggest you look at the Suna website and you will see Tomtom IS supported. Tomtom has agreements, or licenses if you like, worldwide (including with Suna) which is why the devices work anywhere in the world.

fyi, here is a link on the Suna website relating to Tomtom.
    Advertising CRAP... Trust me.. It does NOT work in Perth, Nor does the GPS even accept the TMC receiver in the USA.. I will get you a video tomorrow to prove it....

I would have agreed with you based on everything I read prior to purchasing a TMC receiver.. a genuine item from TomTom, purchased on the TomTom website... But after many frustrating days in Perth testing, emailing both Suna and Tomtom and finally getting some response.. it was confirmed to me by a Suna Senior tech that it will NOT work in Perth due to their licensing agreement with Tomtom...

Wait till you see my video tomorrow...

Stuff it.. I'm motivated now... I'll go out to the car right now and video it for you...
    Last edited by rob2160; 03-02-10 at 01:55 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to rob2160 For This Useful Post:

hollowman (04-02-10)

• Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast