Thread: Help in choosing a good pda with GPS?

Thanks

Default Help in choosing a good pda with GPS?

Hello all,

Would anyone be able to suggest a good pda that has GPS functionality combined?

I need a pda that will allow me to sync with my outlook calender to keep track of my appointments, tasks, etc (my M600i is playing up :S). At the same time I need a GPS for while I am on the road driving between states and I am heading over to Europe this might come in handy (tho optional at this stage). Other functionality I have found includes the following (from other posts):

* non-glare screen (essential)
    * WinCE 5.0 (essential for Tom Tom)
    * Good battery life (for walk'in 'bout)
    * 400MHz processor
    * TMC ready
    * a 12 months warranty
    * and maybe an FM transmitter (to listen to it via the 'sound system')

Any suggestion on what good pda models are out there and an idea on the price?

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Have a look at the Asus range.

normally have a few on their website

Thanks

Hello sanity,

Thanks for the link, had a look and the only one that I can see that might fit the bill is Asus A696 With Copilot Live Australian Maps at $699....

Are there any other suggestions?

Cheers,

yots.

Thanks

Try the PDA section, this may also help

Administrator
    Thanks

You get what you pay for. There are numerous cheapies on Ebay which may suit your needs , I have an Asus A636 which has a couple of things the cheaper ones dont.

Windows Mobile 5. Windows CE is the cheap stripped down version.
    An excellent battery life. It has one of the best battery lifes in its class.

You havent mentioned your budget , which does come in to it. If you after a sub $200 type unit , check back through threads as there is one about a cheapy that a few people have bought and done some things with.

Do you want something that you plan to keep for a while or are you happy to bin it when you cant get a new battery for it in 2 years ? Many things come in to it , you did mention a GOOD PDA so I would expect that you would be paying around the $400 mark. Note the below example price is just that , an example. I am sure with some Googling it could be got cheaper.

Example , Asus A696 $479

I have an A636 which hasnt missed a beat in the probably 3 years I have owned it. It plays movies perfectly via Core Player , runs any GPS application perfectly ( I run Tom Tom and iGo ) and has Wireless so I am connected to my wireless network when I turn it on.

So , back to the question of what you want , you need to give a bit more information as to your budget , requirements and whether you after something quality or cheap ( you generally dont get cheap and quality in the one item )

Thanks

Thanks for the info Newton, that pda looks great but out of stock

Sanity, I am after something that is the best quality for the buck.... My budget is around $400 markish, but if I can go cheaper while not sacrificing quality and functionality that would be great. The link you have is the one without the gps software. Would TT run on this unit? I am also after something that is all in one as well (not pda and external receiver for gps), for ease of carrying it around.

Administrator
    Thanks

TomTom will run on any PDA that runs Windows Mobile 5 and 6 , which is the latest version. The Asus has a Sirf Star III GPS chip built in.

With Windows Mobile 5 you can run a lot more applications than with Windows CE such as Word , Excel , Powerpoint and Outlook if need be. There are a HEAP of applications and software that will work with the Asus.

I can help you out with GPS and other types of software if you wish to *trial them

Bluetooth is another handy feature to have , as is Wireless ( you can connect to unsecured wireless networks while out and about to access the Internet ).

I would suggest Googling the A696 for reviews and prices , prior to the " data kaboom " there was a lot of posts from happy Asus owners and a number of members own A636's. The 696 is the newer model and is slimmer I believe.

Thanks

OK I will check out some reviews

I have emailed Calculator @ Organiser king to see if they have any in stock atm, so will see what they come back with tomorrow...

Thanks

mio 168 or navman pin are good older units will run all maps
    are about 150 - 250 on ebay

Thanks

Hello Mick,

Thanks for the info. I am looking for a new one so I can salary sacrifice as well.....

Thanks

i also have the asus a636n and love it. It has everything, wireless, bluetooth, GPS etc. The speaker is conveniently located such that whilst using as a gps you can hear it loud and clear.

I have had mine for about 2 years and it has not missed a beat. they sell for about $400 check out gamedude. It comes with a great sturdy mount for the car and there is plenty of software available including all the gps software you could need. feel free to pm if you need help in finding some.

Thanks

Sweet thanks for the information. I have on order a A696 and now waiting for it to arrive in the next day or two. I have had a few bad experiences with gamedude in the past and also they didnt have the case I wanted, hence I ordered it from Calculator and Organiser king.

I will keep your offer in mind for finding software

Thanks

I'm looking at buying this

Administrator
    Thanks

Thats a lot of stuff packed in to to one unit.....I dunno if I could use one as a phone as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alligator View Post
    I'm looking at buying this

That is one sweet looking phone.. For me tho I perfer not to have everything in one (IE. crappy 1.3MP camera) and something with a slightly bigger screen. I have had a good look at a few at hardly normal here and anything smaller than 3.5 really do look very small.

Now if that unit is a 3.5 or a 4" screen without the crappy camera, then I would pick that up in a few seconds.