Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Large Hadron Collider is ramping up.

Thanks

Default The Large Hadron Collider is ramping up.

CERN announced early Monday that the Large Hadron Collider has become the world’s highest-energy particle accelerator. The LHC pushed protons to 1.18 TeV (trillion electron volts), surpassing the previous record of 0.98 TeV held by Fermilab’s Tevatron.

mechanical failure just a week after it fired up for the first time in September 2008. Now, 10 days after it turned on again, scientists are celebrating with their fingers crossed that the machine is safely on its way to the physics experiments they plan to begin next year when the LHC has reached its target energy of 7 TeV.
    So before the end of this year we should know if a man made black hole will supersede global warming as the threat of the decade.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

oh no, the sky is falling.............

Thanks

we are all doomed

NS
    The Early Bird May Get The Worm But Its The Second Mouse That Gets The Cheese!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I am damned if I can see what the hell all the money is spent on to force atoms/protons/neurons around a bloody great circle.
    Its as useless as recently finding galaxies and planets so damn far away as to run out of Zero's on an adding machine.
    They babble on about Carbon footprints and Global Warmings caused by power generation and you have this humungus magnet drawing power faster than Tonne of Vince's ShamWows to prove what at the end of the day ?
    I am fascinated by Science and marvel at what they have built but the reality to me is its just a Massive useless BoyToy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

I'm sure it has some incredibly useful purpose to help further the research of science and make life better for all, although I have absolutely no idea what that is.

I wouldn't mind my own personal black hole though. I already have one for money, but was thinking one for scraps and garbage might be useful. Ah there you go I've just thought of a use for it - to rid the Earth of pollution.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
    I'm sure it has some incredibly useful purpose to help further the research of science and make life better for all, although I have absolutely no idea what that is.

I wouldn't mind my own personal black hole though. I already have one for money, but was thinking one for scraps and garbage might be useful. Ah there you go I've just thought of a use for it - to rid the Earth of pollution.

Might not be a Hadron Collider, but this might get you through until you can afford one.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I am damned if I can see what the hell all the money is spent on to force atoms/protons/neurons around a bloody great circle.
    Ah, but this is the problem science has with the general public.
    They don't get to see the relationship between these kinds of projects and real life. I can of course see a parallel with the arts. Millions of dollars for a piece of canvas with paint splatter on it.

So I'll try and give the readers a very brief history of how this kind of thing has directly helped their lives. Starting with a fella called Wilhelm Röntgen.
    He was playing around with a very small kind of particle accelerator known as a Crookes tube and later a Cathode Ray tube. His experiments and observations led to the discovery of X-rays. The crookes tube is the for runner to all electronic valve tubes. thermionic diodes, triodes, pentodes, klystrons, magnetrons, traveling wave tubes, X-ray machines, cathode ray tubes (used in oscilloscopes, televisions and computers) and later particle accelerators like cyclotrons, betatrons and syncrotrons.

Röntgen's work also lead to Henri Becquerel discovering radioactivity in minerals. Which lead to the Curies discovering even more radioactive elements. Which lead to the discovery of the various forms of radiation alpha, beta and gamma as well as subatomic particles like protons, electrons, photons, neutrinos and particularly, Neutrons.
    Otto Hahn and Lise Meitner discovered that colliding neutrons with other atoms could not only transmutate them, but cause nuclear fission.
    This of course lead to nuclear power and nuclear weapons and the nuclear medicine.

Particle accelerators like cyclotrons are owned by various hospitals for making short lived neutron depleted isotopes for medical diagnosis and treatment.
    Neutron spectroscopy is used for determining the chemical structure of drugs, proteins and other complex chemical structure like viruses.
    The discovery of the structure of DNA was done using X-ray crystal diffraction. This has lead to huge advances in genetics, biology and medicine.

More complex experiments like the LHC may seem more removed, but the information learned will have real world applications even if they are not obvious now. One example I can think of is that will directly benefit is fusion power and antimatter research.
    If it provides a better understanding of gravity, we may even be able to one day control gravity like we control electricity or light. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to know how useful that kind of knowledge would be.

The efforts of the Curies who spent a lot of their time crushing rocks and dissolving them acid may have seen futile at the time. But their work has lead directly to the use of nuclear power.

Our abilities to reach so high are because we stand on the shoulders of giants, who themselves stand on the shoulders of giants.

• The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

anyone (09-01-10),BillyGoat (09-01-10),Bluedog (12-01-10),croozer (10-04-10),CrYpto (07-04-10),Gerbertron (08-04-10),Learjet (09-01-10),porkop (13-04-10),SCT (06-04-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

That's a pretty good explanation, thanks. Like the butterfly effect now makes large changes later on, many of the applications built upon it are not foreseeable at this time.

Thanks

Yeah all true trash, But I'd be more committed to the project if I could be assured of being supplied with one of Learjet's garbage gobbling black holes.

Thanks

its for the answer to the great question. how the four fundamental forces interact and what creates them.

strong force (nuclear) - unexplained through quantum physics, gluon

weak force - unexplained through any model, gauge boson

gravity - unexplained through any model, graviton

electromagnetism - unexplained, photon

in short, to understand nature, because at the moment we understand very little that we cannot observe. ie quantum physics sucks and may in the end being completely wrong about everything! (expect a response from this statement hehe)

of course fusion is not hard to create, you can do it in your back yard-

but no matter how much money is spent finding a self sustaining reaction, it has not happened. the energy created needs to expended on either massive heating or creating the reaction, so there is none left over. the answer to this lays in the link posted above, i am sure.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Dont you just hate it when a well and clearly explained posting like Trash's reduces One to a mere less than usless lump of protoplasm wallowing still in the primoval sludge of existance??

I shall now return, suitably chastened to await in my bed of Primoval Sludge, for the next phase of evolution to perhaps include me in the stream of creation.

Thanks

Dont you just hate it when a well and clearly explained posting like Trash's reduces One to a mere less than usless lump of protoplasm wallowing still in the primoval sludge of existance??
    Not at all Gordon, During my life I've never been short of people who were only too happy to make me aware of my place in the broader scheme of things.

Evolve, grow a thick skin...

Thanks

What! You mean you haven't been following the search for the Higgs Boson? Quantum mechanics is a bizarre field.

I loved this one. Some prominent physicists published a paper on this not long ago...

Thanks

There is usually a really simple reason for things too.

The reason for the LHC, well some of us just like to slam stuff at high speed into other stuff.

Also like, The Higgs Boson.
    the reason why they haven't found it is because ..... it doesn't exist !

Ok, well that's just my slightly educated guess. But don't be surprised if in ten years or so they start to say... our understanding of matter isn't quite what we thought it to be and now we have to find another explanation for the missing particle. Why doesn't it exist?

Personally, I'm still a little puzzled as to why the nice folks down at the gravity detectors haven't remembered the last two guys (Michelson & Morley) who played with the same type of equipment and what they learned from not getting any results from it ?

Thanks

* October 19, 2009 12:20PM

SCIENTISTS claim the giant atom-smashing Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is being jinxed from the future to save the world.

In a bizarre sci-fi theory, Danish physicist Dr Holger Bech Nielsen and Dr Masao Ninomiya from Japan claim the LHC startup has been delayed due to nature trying to prevent it from finding the elusive Higgs boson, or "God particle".

They say their maths proves that nature will "ripple backward through time" to stop the LHC before it can create the God particle, like a time traveller who goes back in time to kill his grandfather.

“One could even almost say that we have a model for God,” Dr Nielsen says in an unpublished essay.

“He rather hates Higgs particles, and attempts to avoid them.”

"While it is a paradox to go back in time and kill your grandfather, physicists agree there is no paradox if you go back in time and save him from being hit by a bus," Dannis Overbye wrote in the New York Times.

"In the case of the Higgs and the collider, it is as if something is going back in time to keep the universe from being hit by a bus."

“It must be our prediction that all Higgs producing machines shall have bad luck,” Dr Nielsen told the New York Times.
    SCIENTISTS claim it's true, So like Global Warming it must be true.

oday's quCollider-caused quakes is popular conspiracy theory

Is it possible that the CERN Large Hadron Collider is acting like a giant tuning fork that sets off all these earthquakes?
    The first time I read this I decided it was just too silly to use. However, I checked it out a bit and it turns out that this earthquake idea is very popular among the tin-foil beanie crowd.
    Do we all know what the CERN Large Hadron Collider is? It is a giant underground racetrack sort of thing beneath France and Switzerland. Arizona almost got one several years ago, but the idea fell through. It's a long story.
    The LHC allows scientists to shoot high-energy beams around at great speeds until they collide and create subatomic particles called mesons. The hope is that this will lead to the as-of-yet theoretical Higgs boson. What one would do with a Higgs boson if one found it, I'm not sure. I suspect scientists just like shooting beams at other beams because it makes a cool picture.
    Anyway, according to the conspiracy crowd, all of this will create black holes large enough to swallow Earth or set off earthquakes or whatever. All of this has been said to have been predicted by Nostradamus or the Book of Revelation or maybe even chicken entrails. I don't know.
    However, what the collider does is re-create the natural phenomena of cosmic rays under controlled conditions.
    The LHC folks said this sort of thing goes on around the universe millions of times every second and the universe doesn't seem to be any worse for the wear.
    One other thing: According to the National Earthquake Center, there are about 50 earthquakes around the world every day and the number of large quakes — magnitude 6 or greater — remains fairly constant at about 120 a year.
    If they said they were looking for, A Huge Bosom instead of A Higgs Boson, A lot more people would show an interest.

Thanks

[QUOTE=BlackDuck;284410]
    SCIENTISTS claim it's true, So like Global Warming it must be true.

QUOTE]

No, scientists claim it's the best theory we currently have and it agrees with every test ever carried out. Which is the best anyone can hope for in the real world.

Thanks

Danish physicist Dr Holger Bech Nielsen and Dr Masao Ninomiya from Japan claim that the LHC is being jinxed from the future to save the world.

They are both scientists, They are both making this claim.
    ergo:
    like Global Warming it must be true.

This daily saving of the world must get tiresome.

Thanks

All claims by scientists are of the "best current theory" sort. Even if they don't say it, it's implicit in the fact that they are talking about theories, theories are all there is.

This is taught in schools so we all understand it. If someone wasn't paying attention, that's not the fault of the scientist making the claim. Those who didn't pay attention should go back and learn or keep their opinions about matters that don't understand to themsleves.

By your logic, if you have two scientists making opposite claims, both would be true. An impossibility. Not a a useful concept.

Is the idea that people might actually care about the future of the world and dedicate their lives to understanding it impossible to comprehend? I'd have thought it's a better way to live than caring only about yourself.

People seem to think scientists do what they do for personal gain. It's not, it's about pure curiosity. I far more noble aim than personal wealth and power.

Thanks

The LHC is being jinxed from the future to save the world, is the best current theory where. The X files?

I was being a little Tongue in Cheek with my comments about these 2 being "Scientists" and yet they are seen to be by the fact that they both have doctorates.

By my logic, if two scientists make opposite claims, one may be right or both could be wrong.

I care about, and despair for, the future of the world, especially when I see so many of the general public being hoodwinked by self serving politicians and so called Scientists, into wasting $billions on unproven theories, purely for personal gain and/or self aggrandisement of the perpetrators.

• The Following User Says Thank You to BlackDuck For This Useful Post:

sdrambo (08-04-10)

Thanks

I tried to get funding for colliding two greenies together.

The government said they'd already funded this research where logging and mining companies had already smashed up greenies. They found their constituent components not to be made of any real substance.

Don't worry BD, as long as the money is spent is what is important.
    There are worse things than spending money on stupid shit, like not having any money to spend at all. When money is spent on stupid shit, that money flows out into the greater stupid community and creates a stable stupid society.
    An unstable stupid society .... well I can think of a few countries that fit that description.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast