Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C64 impulse buy

Thanks

Default C64 impulse buy

I was surfing around the other day and somehow my interest was sparked by the old Commodore 64 - so to cut a long story short I bought a small device that lets me plug a 1541 disk drive into the pc so I can backup all my old c64 disks. I reckon I have about 600-1000 disks in the shed somewhere, and I reckon the whole lot of them will fit on 1 dvd (maybe even 1 cd ).
    The device turned up last night, but I haven't had a chance to play around with it as yet. I'll try to do that over the next few days.
    Then I'm finally going to turn my attentions to the 8-9000 amiga disks I have in the shed and about 30-40 backup tapes (2.5gig each) - Just have to find a way to read the disks into my pc (they are on 5 1/4 inch disks). Although I still have an A2000, and an A3000 I might fire them up and try to store the files on the hdd ... hmmm that could work
    Anybody done something similar and have some advice ?

Cheers.
    When I was a kid, I used to have an imaginary friend. I thought he went everywhere with me. I could talk to him and he could hear me, and he could grant me wishes and stuff too. But then I grew up, and stopped going to church.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I have seen the X1541 cable before. The only reason I didn't buy one was because all games are easily found on the net anyway, so I thought it was a waste of time converting all of them....The cable is a great idea....download VICE and run you files through that and the memories will come flooding back.....LOAD"*"8,1

When In Doubt - Make It Into A Coffee Table.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mods View Post
    Then I'm finally going to turn my attentions to the 8-9000 amiga disks I have in the shed and about 30-40 backup tapes (2.5gig each) - Just have to find a way to read the disks into my pc (they are on 5 1/4 inch disks). Although I still have an A2000, and an A3000 I might fire them up and try to store the files on the hdd ... hmmm that could work
    You can wuss out and just download the most popular Amiga stuff, or if you really wanna do it all yourself you need a Catweasel and a 5.25" FDD. The catweasel set me back maybe $200 and the FDD was about $US75 posted....

Much cheaper to download the stuff you want, and then sell those Amigas to me.

Thanks

I still ask myself,
    why in the bloody hell am I still holding on to 8 Cdore/amiga monitors?

Thanks

I had heard that the C64 monitor was a mythical and exciting beast and that if I was ever to encounter one, I should grab hold of it and never let go!

Was all of this a lie? Is there nothing really that exciting about them?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by closershave View Post
    I had heard that the C64 monitor was a mythical and exciting beast and that if I was ever to encounter one, I should grab hold of it and never let go!

Was all of this a lie? Is there nothing really that exciting about them?

RGB via Scart goodness...Beautiful picture with the right cable...

Thanks

i ahve quite a few busted monitors , but cannot bring myself to dump them , they are too good
    back on topic though
    Mods , try Aral he has ripped thousands of disks for an emu place in the UK he should be able to help

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmc96 View Post
    I still ask myself,
    why in the bloody hell am I still holding on to 8 Cdore/amiga monitors?
    Because they are really good monitors. We have one about our household I would be very reluctant to part with as the picture on this is fantastic, although a little small!

Quote Originally Posted by Mods View Post
    I bought a small device that lets me plug a 1541 disk drive into the pc so I can backup all my old c64 disks. I reckon I have about 600-1000 disks in the shed somewhere, and I reckon the whole lot of them will fit on 1 dvd (maybe even 1 cd ).
    As to this device, its because you can! Its that goodness to know that you have resurected your old media than relying on google Just a little concerned as to the condition of the disks - as they don't last forever!
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Thanks

A friend of mine still uses his c64 regularly, i'm not sure on the specific's but he has a hdd hooked up to it and has a different os using a cart. There's also a heap of switches and buttons all over it too, he also has a 5 1/4 drive in his pc which he uses to download demos from the net to play on the c64's disc drive. Im not sure what the drive though but it fits in a pc case could be a hacked c64 one with some sort of converter.

Theres some new flash memory cart he's been talking about, some sort of "ultimate c64 mod " , i think it gives networkablity and a lot of other newer functions.

And the monitors were great Ive been through 3 of them myself. I used them for ages as a tv from a video player and for my consoles after i put my c64 away.

Thanks

They are heaps of mods for the C64 IDE interface, MP3 player, Ethernet connection, Super CPU speeds it up to 20Mhz extra ram, the ability to use SDHC cards to load software and using and old PC for server thats just off the top of my head their is heaps more out their and more in the pipeline. The machine will never die. I'am currently working on building a C64 in a HTPC case and going from there.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies - seems I'm not the only old bloke around here who had a 64
    I've been transfering some disks - bit hit and miss at the moment - I have ot take the 1541 apart and give it a gentle head clean as I'm geting a few errors. At first I suspected faulty media, but a few disks had no problems reading the first time, then they wouldn't read at all. I suppose 15 years of 'shed dust' took it's toll
    When I was a kid, I used to have an imaginary friend. I thought he went everywhere with me. I could talk to him and he could hear me, and he could grant me wishes and stuff too. But then I grew up, and stopped going to church.

Thanks

In the mid 90’s I took over as manager a couple of remote power stations (each 4xCat Diesels). The local guys had a problem with the “sequencer”. To cut a long story short, the sequencer was actually the guts of a C64. It had replaced a failed purpose built unit as an interim measure by someone who had long since moved on. That thing had happily dispatched the engines for years without anyone being the wiser. Did a bloody good job of it! Problem was no one knew how it worked or what it really was. All hell broke loose when its secret was discovered.
    Last edited by Driftabout; 20-01-10 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks

Ahh, the good ol' C64. I bet I could still do a little bit of simple coding in 6510 assembly.

Hope you didn't spend a whole lot on the cable, XE1541 or XA1541 adaptor cables have either 4 x schottky or 4 x transistor + resistor gates in them... that's it!

As for the Amiga solution (still have my A500 with 1Mb swift-board!), I have a bit of software that uses two PC 3.5" floppy drives to read Amiga disks. It won't read anything thats got any form of copy protection - except perhaps the very earliest CinemaWare titles (remember them?)

will turn any MFM format disk into a disk image, including Amiga, Atari ST etc.
    Only problem is it won't run under NT, 2000 or XP. Seems as if the author has been at work with it recently too, as he's added CGR format disks to its abilities too.

Thanks

Sorry to be off topic slightly, But seeing that this thread has the attention of die hard C64/Amiga fans, does anyone want any of these monitors? I've had orders to clean up the third shed and most of them have just gotta go. I'm in Warnervale (Central Coast) NSW. Only one or two didn't work properly otherwise they're all goers. I'll probably keep two.
    All freebies BTW.
    Back on topic.

Thanks

I'm sure you'll get some takers for those monitors - they really were an excellent little monitor. My last one (1902 ?) ran for about 6 years as a bedroom tv before it finally gave way.

Thanks

mate I would take them if you were driving through Ipswich , cannot see that happening though lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozchips View Post
    mate I would take them if you were driving through Ipswich , cannot see that happening though lol
    Errr, a couple of years too late buddy. I went through there in the middle of the night with a truck loaded with heli spares. We were heading for the VRD cattle station in NT.
    Actually, a mate goes to Townsville on a reasonably regular basis with a semi, don't know if that helps?

Thanks

my missus wouyld kill me , especially since we are wanting to move lol
    how many were there mate ?

Thanks

I can see 8, there's a few different models amongst them.

Thanks

tempting as it is , I do not think right now is a great time as we are tryingto sell and move a little more country way
    but that said if you do not get rid of them ask again in a few weeks

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast