Thread: Ademco Vista 12 Trouble

Thanks

Default Ademco Vista 12 Trouble

Hi all,

I have a vista 12 alarm system in my house, my brother is a sparky and installed it for me, and we are having a few probs...

the external siren (12v 700ma) is very, very quiet when in alarm, and the strobe isnt working. all programming and connections to the trigger module are right for the strobe. My only thought is the aux drain may be too high... but im only running 3 pirs, a wireless receiver, and 2 lcd keypads from it, and this should definately not affect the siren as the bell output is 2amp.

Also it was tried with an ademco 744 siren driver and an 8ohm horn speaker and all that acheived was total loss of power for a second followed by ''bell failure'' on keypads!... i would prefer to use this instead of the 12vdc siren.

If it is a lack of power, what should i do?, or if its not what has been done wrong??

any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance, Rick

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by too_good37 View Post
    Hi all,

I have a vista 12 alarm system in my house, my brother is a sparky and installed it for me, and we are having a few probs...

the external siren (12v 700ma) is very, very quiet when in alarm, and the strobe isnt working. all programming and connections to the trigger module are right for the strobe. My only thought is the aux drain may be too high... but im only running 3 pirs, a wireless receiver, and 2 lcd keypads from it, and this should definately not affect the siren as the bell output is 2amp.

Also it was tried with an ademco 744 siren driver and an 8ohm horn speaker and all that acheived was total loss of power for a second followed by ''bell failure'' on keypads!... i would prefer to use this instead of the 12vdc siren.

If it is a lack of power, what should i do?, or if its not what has been done wrong??

any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance, Rick
    Try calling a Licensed Security Tech who knows how to install and program a security system

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Security Man View Post
    Try calling a Licensed Security Tech who knows how to install and program a security system
    I knew someone would say that but i would really like some help with this as i cannot afford it and my brother (who is a sparky) is licenced to cable and connect to telco. the only reason i have an alarm is because of my insurance company...

Thanks

best advice is get a tech in but...

what do you mean by loss of power? as in your get a quick shitty sound from the siren, or the kp pirs ect. all lose power? if it all does get a new panel....

to test the 12v siren put it straihgt over 12volts from somewhere (just put it over the battery) and as long as its not flat or old this will tell you if its the siren or the panel playing up.

Thanks

I knew someone would say that but i would really like some help with this as i cannot afford it and my brother (who is a sparky) is licenced to cable and connect to telco. the only reason i have an alarm is because of my insurance company...
    Just because your brother is a "sparky" that does not mean he knows how to install security systems or that he is licensed to install security systems, a cabler's license only lets him run cables not install security equipment.

You need to call someone who knows what there are doing, not someone who thinks he knows just because they are a "sparky"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ya_mums_bum69 View Post
    best advice is get a tech in but...

what do you mean by loss of power? as in your get a quick shitty sound from the siren, or the kp pirs ect. all lose power? if it all does get a new panel....

to test the 12v siren put it straihgt over 12volts from somewhere (just put it over the battery) and as long as its not flat or old this will tell you if its the siren or the panel playing up.
    Thanks for that response,

the siren is fine, and by loss of power when using the siren driver i mean TOTAL loss of power... the keypads and all turn off for about a second then come back on with keypad saying "bell failure". my thoughts were this is because the siren driver draws too much power?
    You think i need a new panel?, this one is only a month old!

Thanks

ok mate well sounds something around the lines of drawing to much or programing being wrong. Ive not really had any experience with those panels so not sure on the type of fuse/fuses and programming... might have to call a tech in... but again the siren being quite when its powered through the panel output sounds like a panel fault

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ya_mums_bum69 View Post
    ok mate well sounds something around the lines of drawing to much or programing being wrong. Ive not really had any experience with those panels so not sure on the type of fuse/fuses and programming... might have to call a tech in... but again the siren being quite when its powered through the panel output sounds like a panel fault
    thats no good!

i will bite the bullet and pay for a security tech, and if i need a new panel does anyone know what it would cost me?

Thanks

One thing to remember is a lot of panels when they go into alarm draw power from the battery to run sirens and just because you read 13vdc with a meter accross the battery terminals doesnt mean there is enough current in the battery to run the alarm system correctly i.e sirens and strobe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FordTech View Post
    One thing to remember is a lot of panels when they go into alarm draw power from the battery to run sirens and just because you read 13vdc with a meter accross the battery terminals doesnt mean there is enough current in the battery to run the alarm system correctly i.e sirens and strobe.
    ok then,
    anyone want to sell me a bosch solution 16+ panel and lcd keypad?

Banned
    Thanks

Rick,

I would disconnect all wires from Terminal 3 on the panel, trip the panel into alarm. If the codepad still blanks off for 1 sec and doing the same thing, then there a high chance of panel fault. If not, then there is a problem with whatever is connected to terminal 3 (strobe, sirens etc.) on the panel.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Thanks for that response,

the siren is fine, and by loss of power when using the siren driver i mean TOTAL loss of power... the keypads and all turn off for about a second then come back on with keypad saying "bell failure". my thoughts were this is because the siren driver draws too much power?
    You think i need a new panel?, this one is only a month old!
    If it is only a month old replace it under warranty, and if you have recently upgraded the alarm system but not the devices and sirens, then thats the risk you take.

Thanks

The LCD codepads do draw alot of power.
    Aux Power is rated at 700mA
    Keypads about 200mA each when in alarm
    Strobe 150mA
    So theres 550mA already plus radio rec and PIRs

Did you measure the voltage at the strobe terminal, Aux Power and Alarm Output? When in alarm, this will give some idea if overloaded.

I would disconnect a few things first, eg 1 keypad and strobe and put into alarm and see if it functions right then add things back in 1 at a time testing after each.
    Also Strobe neg on Trigger 2 and Strobe pos on Aux + on the trigger board.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by secure View Post
    The LCD codepads do draw alot of power.
    Aux Power is rated at 700mA
    Keypads about 200mA each when in alarm
    Strobe 150mA
    So theres 550mA already plus radio rec and PIRs

Did you measure the voltage at the strobe terminal, Aux Power and Alarm Output? When in alarm, this will give some idea if overloaded.

I would disconnect a few things first, eg 1 keypad and strobe and put into alarm and see if it functions right then add things back in 1 at a time testing after each.
    Also Strobe neg on Trigger 2 and Strobe pos on Aux + on the trigger board.
    thanks secure,

got the strobe going now i used gnd instead of trigv on the trigger module. You mentioned that aux output is 700ma which i already knew, but that shouldnt be the reason for a very quiet siren as the bell output is rated at 2amp?

Thanks

Did you check the voltage output for the siren on terminals 3 and 4 when in alarm?

Do you have an inside siren and outside siren?

Have you cut the wire jumper with a red loop on it and enabled the siren supervision? (I don't do this) This wire jumper is located above terminal 2 and 3.

Make sure the battery is good as this supplies the current to the alarm output.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by secure View Post
    Did you check the voltage output for the siren on terminals 3 and 4 when in alarm?

Do you have an inside siren and outside siren?

Have you cut the wire jumper with a red loop on it and enabled the siren supervision? (I don't do this) This wire jumper is located above terminal 2 and 3.

Make sure the battery is good as this supplies the current to the alarm output.
    I really appreciate your help with this,
    the voltage is fine and so is the battery i already checked this. no i havent enabled siren supervision. i only get the bell failure message when using the ademco 744 siren driver, not when using a 12v siren (12v siren is very quiet and the siren driver obviously doesnt work at all!). yes there is an internal siren just a top hat screamer.

Thanks

so when you use a 12vdc siren, does this overload as well?
    what kind of cable have u ran to the siren box for the acual siren.
    ??
    try and run the current from the siren through your meter to see how many amp's you are pulling through?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keef82 View Post
    so when you use a 12vdc siren, does this overload as well?
    what kind of cable have u ran to the siren box for the acual siren.
    ??
    try and run the current from the siren through your meter to see how many amp's you are pulling through?
    thanks for that

it is actually working now all by itself... nothing was changed it appears to have fixed itself!... wierd

thanks to everyone who helped. Rick