Thread: solar power and hot water

Thanks

Default solar power and hot water

ok as the title suggests , we currently have solar hot water , however we will be moving soon and may not have it .
    question is does anyone have experience with the different things available and ititial set up costs to period that we will see savings (I also understand that power prices will soon be skyrocketing)
    ok solar hot water
    do you go solar hotwater
    evacutated tube solar hot water
    or heat pump ,
    all these are covered by the govt rebate

also for solar panels to cut down costs
    how is the pricing for these things and what sort of benefits . I figure we could almost be independant on a 3kw system as currently we spend approx $350/quarter ?

anyway , first hand experience ? links , prices etc ?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Only $350? Last bill here was over $500 and some friends have had back to back $800 bills.

I would say heat pump for hot water. I have heard of a few problems with solar and cold mornings. Might not be a huge problem for you north of the border.

A grid connect 3kw system based on the website of a dealer here in Newcastle is listed as $19,000, cost price before rebates. That is made up of 18 x 170w panels so roof area may not allow for a system that size.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I'd steer away from a grid connected system if financially possible. You have no power storage , mains power goes off , your power goes off as well.

But it depends on your reason for going solar. Mine would be to totally disassociate myself from the power companies and have self sufficiency. I would have no desire to have to sell power to them for X amount only to have them sell it at a massive profit to others.

Grid systems dont allow you to have batteries. What you create during the day you use , any extra goes in to the grid. You are buying back off them at night, unless you have created enough extra.

Power prices are a joke though , but in all honesty if I was only paying $350 a quarter I wouldnt bother going solar.

Thanks

installed a heat pump 6 months ago and with the rebates it was cost free
    power bill has gone down a little but its permently connected not off peak
    nice on the back veranda when its running

Thanks

i will change the hot water system , but I was just thinking about the solar electricity . with the rebates and 10 grand interest free loan it seems like an ok thing to do .
    am also thinking about switching to gas for cooking . Atthis place we have induction which also uses a lot less power , but gas would be easy and conveniant for when there is a power outage

Thanks

Its a shame you arent supposed to use wind power in residential areas. I mean how much noise could a small unit make?

Someone really needs to figure out how to generate using a wind setup attached to the whirlybird roof vents. They usually turn even when there is no wind.

Off to the shed of invention i go!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,800 Times in 974 Posts

I have heat pump hot water and it was the best thing I have ever had installed. I have 250lt unit which is 90lts more that the old electric one.

It will still heat the water @ -10 degrees temp. It only uses electricity for the compressor, fan & electronics. It has no element and at the moment I am saving a $1.10/day on my electricity.

All up cost to me after rebates was $1,700.00. This included relocating the unit outside and the electrician to do the wiring.
    Some people need to get their finger out of their arse so that the brain can get some oxygen"

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    I'd steer away from a grid connected system if financially possible. You have no power storage , mains power goes off , your power goes off as well..

It depends what inverter you choose...

see here...

It's australian made and designed...!

But it depends on your reason for going solar. Mine would be to totally disassociate myself from the power companies and have self sufficiency. I would have no desire to have to sell power to them for X amount only to have them sell it at a massive profit to others..
    With the SP pro you can achieve it all.

Please note that you now get in Victoria 66cents per Kw for power you upload and pay 26c for download.

It's a win-win at the moment, especially Victoria.

Grid systems dont allow you to have batteries. What you create during the day you use , any extra goes in to the grid. You are buying back off them at night, unless you have created enough extra..

See above re-batteries...

Please also note that at night ALL your power is at 9c a Kw...so all the power you use is as if it were connnected to your hot water discounted rate.

A very fair arrangement at the moment.

Power prices are a joke though , but in all honesty if I was only paying $350 a quarter I wouldnt bother going solar.
    With the generous feed in tarriffs you can make money out of legislated feed in tarriffs...an excellent way to screw your power company...

But it all starts at 3kw...don't bother with 1 kw systems
    Last edited by BF2010; 01-02-10 at 12:32 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to BF2010 For This Useful Post:

iwacelect (02-02-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xnavyman View Post
    I have heat pump hot water and it was the best thing I have ever had installed. I have 250lt unit which is 90lts more that the old electric one.

It will still heat the water @ -10 degrees temp. It only uses electricity for the compressor, fan & electronics. It has no element and at the moment I am saving a $1.10/day on my electricity.

All up cost to me after rebates was $1,700.00. This included relocating the unit outside and the electrician to do the wiring.
    I also see you can have these installed and retrofit the current hot water tank which would cost even less .

Thanks

This thread covers quite a lot that has already been discussed on this topic.

BF2010 , most of what is needed to run the above setup is not covered by any subsidy , it's classed as a luxury , Even if it were covered 10K would only give you a deposit on something like this.
    Well worth looking into if being independent of your power company motivates you .

BTW there are quite a few very informative threads already regarding Solar Hot Water if this is your main focus.
    Last edited by Joey; 01-02-10 at 03:26 PM. Reason: more info

Administrator
    Thanks

You sure you dont want to post the link again BF ? Just in case anyone missed who you work for.

Thats all good and fine if dont plan on claiming a government subsidy. I am yet to see anyone " making money " other than a few dollars. But I would suggest reading some of the previous threads as there has been a number of recent discussions on the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey
    BF2010 , most of what is needed to run the above setup is not covered by any subsidy , it's classed as a luxury , Even if it were covered 10K would only give you a deposit on something like this.
    Thats more the point But it all depends on what the individual wants and why they want it.

Thanks

If you have natural Gas

A solution for electricity and hot water

Last edited by pieces; 01-02-10 at 05:37 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to pieces For This Useful Post:

exited (03-02-10)

Thanks

You sure you don't want to post the link again BF ? Just in case anyone missed who you work for.
    Hmmm...no response. I wonder if your right Sanity?

Banned
    Thanks

Well excuse me .

I saw an opportunity to enlighten you guys with a link to some of the latest technology, instead of being misinformed.

No, I don't work for the manufacturer.

Maybe if you guys were a bit friendlier you might learn something.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozchips View Post
    am also thinking about switching to gas for cooking . Atthis place we have induction which also uses a lot less power , but gas would be easy and conveniant for when there is a power outage
    Beware of state and local planning laws if installing gas, as found out that in our area if you have a gas conncection, and your electric hot water service dies, the plumber has to replace with a new gas unit! Unsure how this works with solar hot water services, although have seen these with gas backup!

We delibrately got our plumber to install a larger capacity copper piping to run cooking for now with ability to expand heating and HWS down the track, with no bottlenecks in supply! As for cooking, notice the difference burnt a few pots dry in the beginning as its so much more efficient!
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BF2010 View Post
    Well excuse me .

I saw an opportunity to enlighten you guys with a link to some of the latest technology, instead of being misinformed.

No, I don't work for the manufacturer.

Maybe if you guys were a bit friendlier you might learn something.
    First post and 2 links to the same site......what do you expect me to think ? 99% of the time I see the above its spam. Apologies if you are the 1%.