Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Starting Again

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

If your impressed with Gorbtrack, then the simplicity of will blow you away. You did check the link to it I posted above & figured out how to drive it, didn't you?
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Mannoz,

May I suggest that you first go back to your receiver, and delete any channels that you previously scanned in on the original scans.

To start off with a fresh receiver is like gold...never forget this when setting up.

As Fernbay suggests, then go and set up all the frequencies in your C1 menu...they should be there anyhow.

Doing what you are, going up and down the ladder is hard work, but alas, sometimes is the only way when $ are short, you have no other telly, or don't have a willing helper!
    If you have a helper, they have to be very patient with you, as all they have to do is tell you the result of any movement you do, and what impact it has on the signal strength indicator they are watching on the receiver menu.There's is a VERY IMPORTANT job...tell them that, and respect each other that this sometimes becomes very confusing for both of you. Get the helper everything they need, with no reason to leave the area, otherwise you will be yelling your lungs out, with no reply from below.Make sure he or she has a pen to record how high or low a signal was, so you can reference back to it each time, to improve where you can. Also, clear off what marks you have on the dish now and start a fresh. Mark as you go along so you do keep track of what you are doing.

Connect up to your lnb ( make sure you always have the receiver disconnected from the power outlet, otherwise you run a good chance of blowing your lnb, or the caps in your receiver, as it is running power through there) and select an appropriate transponder, ala 12407 30000 V 2/3 and have a look at signal strength. Gently undo lnb bracket and optimise signal via SKEW, picking strongest position, gently tighten lnb. Swap to a Horizontal transponder, say 12438 H 27800 3/4 and look at signal strength here. You need to get both right, otherwise your lnb will be slightly out. If you are receiving good signal, and happy at this stage,tighten up your lnb. Next, yes there is a next, go to your dish. Flex it up/down and sideways l/r ( do gently, and have someone watch your signal strength)..if by pressing one way or another, the signal improves any, then you need to again undo the dish, and adjust your up/down or l/r to the strongest signal. When you do that, tighten up, and get off the ladder.

Stop, have a break...

Then go to your receiver, and scan those transponder frequencies. They should load all Aurora, and pay tv. Remember, all will not work without the required card, but there is a line up test channel on Aurora you will see to make sure you got it.

Trying to be calm and rational is my best advice, although it is VERY VERY frustrating at times. In a little while, you will wonder how you had such a fuss, and in future, I guarantee you could do all this within 15 mins or so of connecting a dish on apole.

Keep going, and report back to everyone for help.

Good luck !

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to viewer For This Useful Post:

C-Bandit (29-01-10),Fernbay (27-01-10),mannaoz (26-01-10)

Thanks

Hi Viewer thanks for the suggestions. Actually been doing most of those things you have put down with the exception of tuning the set off first. But will do from now on if I have not buggered anything up in my initial stages.
    My helper has been a large mirror positioned at the door reflecting back into the room and TV set so I have not been totally blind as what has been happening inside whilst outside.
    I really think I have the positioning of the sats worked out as I always mark starting points so as to be able to go back their.I use white tape and a black pen easy to take off and start a fresh. Bit like spreading the bread crumbs on the trail. I have been in the professional photographic industry for many years so having to work things out that are not clear is normal for me. LOL But its the tuning in of the receiver thats got me baffled but I will once I have that down pat marry the to together and have it sussed as it seems this is the only problem I have now. The extra channels NITV and the ABC stuff I am sure is only a matter of fine tuning.

Its the receiver and holding what I enter then having that marry up to the satellite is my stumbling block.

I will win here that's for sure.
    Appreciate all those sending in suggestions as its just the trek you don't know can make the difference
    Last edited by mannaoz; 26-01-10 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Forgot a point.

Banned
    Thanks

Wow..I have googled for an hour, and cannot find your user manuals for the Mediastar or Space anywhere. I was hoping to help in that way. Perhaps another person has access to one for you?

At least your mirror doesn't answer you back!!
    Last edited by viewer; 26-01-10 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Put in last bit

• The Following User Says Thank You to viewer For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (27-01-10)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    Wow..I have googled for an hour, and cannot find your user manuals for the Mediastar or Space anywhere. I was hoping to help in that way. Perhaps another person has access to one for you?
    I wasted an hour this morning doing that for him too. No sign of anything on the net

As I said, it might be best to get them going first on a neighbors/relatives known working foxtel dish
    ಠ_ಠ

Thanks

Thanks to you guys for doing that. I have been through this process many times. Will be talking to Mediastar as their website is less than impressive for what they are trying to sell. Sorry Fernbay but its not a good back up site. Thanks for your suggestion but I am on top of the tuning process of the dish I have moved on and just need to find the solution to the receivers. I a will buy a new one if that shortens the process as its great to play but its boring to hit ones head on the wall so many times.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mannaoz View Post
    Dyslexia what more can I say about that. Skew is what I mean from the Google instructions. I have since screwed the skew to the other side and have a better signal as you can see in the 1st pic. But still missing NITV. Sorry brothers will be there soon.
    The receiver has preset sats programed into it. I have pix to show its easier than trying to type.
    this shows I have C1 signal strength and quality.
    So thats OK
    This one shows the pre-installed satellites and at the bottom one can see there is a space for a new setting to be added infact there are many spaces but only wanted to show one so as not to confuse the issue. how do I reprogram the unit to have the new satelittes added or just to do this on a manual one at a time basis.
    G'Day Cobber,
    The first Pix comes up as an error. Would be nice to see.
    The second one is fine, edit your post to do the first one the same way.
    Like the others, I have searched extensively with little success.
    I do have a Space CDVB5300A and the manual. It is a rebadged Co-Ship, but not happy that the Menus are sufficiently similar to be of help.
    Last edited by beer4life; 26-01-10 at 07:38 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to beer4life For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (27-01-10)

Banned
    Thanks

Just a very quick thought after looking at the 2nd photo again.....in the menu, is lnb 2 enabled, and set to 11300/on ?

Usually a receiver would show the main lnb as lnb1.

Just a thought, that you'll probably blow me away with??

Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    Just a very quick thought after looking at the 2nd photo again.....in the menu, is lnb 2 enabled, and set to 11300/on ?

Usually a receiver would show the main lnb as lnb1.

Just a thought, that you'll probably blow me away with??
    This may or may not clarify the menu.

Mediastar DC-8.

Last edited by beer4life; 26-01-10 at 10:19 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to beer4life For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (27-01-10)

Thanks

Reset the pic for Beer4Life . Yes that's the Mediastar Unit I have. Might just have to buy a new unit seems this is about 9 years old. Dam
    Last edited by mannaoz; 27-01-10 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the linl. LOL

Thanks

Wink

Reset the pic for Beer4Life . Yes that's the Mediastar Unit I have. Might just have to buy a new unit seems this is about 9 years old. Dam
    G'Day Cobber,
    Now we are making more sense.
    That TP 12358 H 27800 is a Foxtel one and is encrypted, so you won't see Pix.
    A better TP for C1 is 12367 V 27800 and has Aljazeera English FTA.
    It is a unique Frequency TP not on nearby Satellites and will confirm that you are indeed on C1. It also has some Aurora channels, but they are encrypted with Irdeto 1 and 2. A simple Goldie will overcome that as well as other Aurora channels.
    If no provision for blind scan, you will have to manually enter the other TPs for C1.
    It is better if you set up a separate Satellite for D3, although they are Co-located. Restrict the scan for D3 to 11700 to 12200.
    Now I think you will be well on your way without being sidetracked.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ". Semantics, pfft.
    Last edited by beer4life; 27-01-10 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Correct scan range for D3.

Thanks

Thanks for that.
    OK will try the instruction see what I get.
    looking at a new receiver if I am going to try Select seems the DC 8 may be too old for the job.
    I have an old gold card from the days of analog Foxtel but I think that is usless now.

Banned
    Thanks

Seeing the first picture is now a bonus to us.
    I would hazard a guess, that once you have the signal that is evident, you must just have to press the blue or green button on the remote to make it scan, and then figure out the save option....probably another coloured button, or "ok" to save.

You should really look for a receiver that can blindscan ( independently searches all the satellite on it's own and plays any channels either fta or via an appropriate smartcard.), has an embedded card slot than can play multi encryptions (CA) and has Irdeto onboard if you want Selectv, even with the possibility of a cam slot (CI). Maybe a cheap Strong, an Openbox x810 etc etc

Good luck...still here to help if needed.

Thanks

Thanks Viewer.
    I still think the signal is a tad weak
    I believe I had around low ninties before.
    Will wait for a clear day to play again as its been a bit grey here today.
    The receiver I want is not a cheapy as you only get what you pay for in past experience.
    But sometimes gems do show themselves

Banned
    Thanks

Ah...

Maybe something like this will future proof you? Seller a regular on here.
    Some other hd units around at the moment too.

Thanks

Wink All that glitters is not gold!

Thanks Viewer.
    I still think the signal is a tad weak
    I believe I had around low ninties before.
    Will wait for a clear day to play again as its been a bit grey here today.
    The receiver I want is not a cheapy as you only get what you pay for in past experience.
    But sometimes gems do show themselves
    Don't be conned into buying a high priced receiver.
    Many of the lower priced ones are every bit as good or even better, achieving that on volume sales with good backup and support around many forums.
    Just learn by your current ones, that have faded into antiquity and cause much frustration. "Horses for Courses."
    Be warned, many Providers are looking at tying their services to their own proprietary boxes.
    Particularly if you are a channel chaser, "Blind Scan" is essential.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Just get a >expletive< dreambox & stop looking backwards
    ಠ_ಠ

Banned
    Thanks

That's good advice too.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice I will look for one.

Thanks

What do the judges of humanity think of a strong 4990. I forgot I had one of these sitting under a pile of other things I have brought from Catchofthe day. May be this will be the launching pad to my better understanding. Then I don't want to proceed if its not in the interest of this austere group

• Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast