Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ku motorised dish advice

Thanks

Default ku motorised dish advice

Hi guys, I have an motorised ku dish setup of which I've just haven't had the time to properly align, I'm going to try and align properly this weekend,

how "critical" is it to have the pole mount to the vertical? I know its critical with cband but is ku band the same principle?
    Last edited by osci; 13-03-08 at 12:34 PM. Reason: error

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by osci View Post
    Hi guys, I have an motorised ku dish setup of which I've just haven't had the time to properly align, I'm going to try and align properly this weekend,

how "critical" is it to have the pole mount to the vertical? I know its critical with cband but is ku band the same principle?
    It is dead critical, spend most of your time making sure it is vertical. 89.5 degrees is not good, you'll need 90 from two directions if you want to see all satellites.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    It is dead critical, spend most of your time making sure it is vertical. 89.5 degrees is not good, you'll need 90 from two directions if you want to see all satellites.
    cool thanks heaps - I'll make sure of it

Thanks

yep
    its gotta be dead vertical mate, or youll have trouble getting the birds on the end

too bad none of the data's come up (vyking) and some others helped me out heaps when i was setting up mine. plenty of good info.

make sure dish is pointed 100% north as well, otherwise ull miss sats as well.

gl

Thanks

Default Ku motorised dish advice

I have a generic motek on a 120cm dish. I used Gorbtrak to find the time that the sun's shadow of a thin stick was at due north. Using a plumb bob I swung the dish till it met the chalk line of the sun's shadow. I suspended the plumb bob off the LNB so that it was centre.

After that I was easy. From where I live there is a satellite a couple of mickey hairs east of due north and I set the dish elevation to that using a crappy decoder that came with the TFC subscription - just the signal strength bars and quality and it worked OK. Once that was done, using the Clarke Belt charts it was a piece of piss the pick up all the other satellites using the micro switches on the drive motor.

With such a big dish and the slack in the motors drive gears the dish wobbles a bit in the breeze but it never seems to affect the reception.

Nifty
    Cootamundra NSW

Thanks

I think this is a collection of the very best practical advice I've seen.

Vertical pole, true north plus a satellite 'round true north' and your done.

Thanks

geez guys, I'm really impressed with the advice.....
    thank you all very, and will update ya all when I have it done

cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nifty View Post
    I have a generic motek on a 120cm dish. I used Gorbtrak to find the time that the sun's shadow of a thin stick was at due north. Using a plumb bob I swung the dish till it met the chalk line of the sun's shadow. I suspended the plumb bob off the LNB so that it was centre.

After that I was easy. From where I live there is a satellite a couple of mickey hairs east of due north and I set the dish elevation to that using a crappy decoder that came with the TFC subscription - just the signal strength bars and quality and it worked OK. Once that was done, using the Clarke Belt charts it was a piece of piss the pick up all the other satellites using the micro switches on the drive motor.

With such a big dish and the slack in the motors drive gears the dish wobbles a bit in the breeze but it never seems to affect the reception.

Nifty
    Cootamundra NSW

Nifty, I'm gunna have another go at finding true north tomorrow, but I'm a bit confused on just where you placed your stick
    ie: directly in front of dish & if so how far ect or directly beneath the dish with solar compass, I know you said you hung the plumb bob off the lnb and then when the shadow struck your reference point you were able to then align the plumbob with the reference point of the stick, can you expand a little on this?

Thanks

Use this CSIRO Sun/moon calculator to cast a shadow and determine true azimuth. Best around the middle of the day (and when the sun is shining).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmsky View Post
    Use this CSIRO Sun/moon calculator to cast a shadow and determine true azimuth. Best around the middle of the day (and when the sun is shining).

Farmsky do I check eastern standard time EST or eastern daylight time EDT?

Thanks

Depends if you do it b4 or after daylight saving ends this Sunday.

Or maybe you didn't advance your clocks .... so EST will be fine?

Thanks

Depends if you do it b4 or after daylight saving ends this Sunday.

Or maybe you didn't advance your clocks .... so EST will be fine?
    weather permitting.........we're still daylight saving here in vic, until, of course sunday.

Thanks

Hey guys. This is a copy of my set up instructions that used to be in the Tutorials section before Armageddon hit Admin's server. Hope this is of some help. (This is how I did mine - plus some other members instructions at the end - in Wollongong).

1. Make sure your pole is ABSOLUTELY plum and the Moteck is centred on ZERO. This is critical!

2. Set your elevation (in my case Figtree Wollongong 49.63 degrees) on the Moteck and dish mount declination (34.44 degrees for Figtree). The motor is critical – the dish declination only needs to be rough as LNB angle to dish can vary depending on LNB mount and you will be fine tuning this later. Set these up as per the calculations on the other attached instructions (both Moteck and the attached files).

3. Roughly line up the dish with C1 (I used my second dish as a reference), leaving the Moteck to pole bolts loose enough to spin it around on the pole.

4. I had a sat meter hooked up on the roof. To get the correct position I spun the whole set up around the pole in very small steps whilst adjusting the dish mount to Moteck ever so slightly until a got a full signal on the sat meter.

5. Then I rotated the Moteck with the motor drive on the motor and watched the sat meter signal. When it registered a reading as it moved past each satellite, I knew I was close.

6. Then I just kept making very slight adjustments (both the dish declination AND spinning the whole set up on the pole until I had the arc correct.

7. Finally I went back down to the tv and commenced to search and store each satellite into the Hummie using the Hummie instructions.

The following pages are cut and pastes from other examples of how-to from the Austech website. I’ve included them here as I used them to finally set mine up, but alone they didnlt EXACTLY work for me, so here is my hybrid version of (hitting the SEARCH button). Thank you Pam, UGG (I hope you have permission to use this name!) and sorry for the unknowns at the end. Thank you all for the help. I hope this helps some people.

Moteck Set Up for Dummies.

1. Find out your longitude and latitude (I used this site Astro )

2. On the Motec set your Latitude on the scale on the side

3. Mount the dish onto the Motec and then all onto the dish mount (Dish mount must be 100% straight) do not worry about the dish lining up just yet

4. Lookup your declination angle from the table towards the back of the Motec instructions and set your dish mounts angle up to 40deg minus declination angle (e.g. 33deg latitude = 40 - 5.377 = 34.633deg on the dish mount)

5. Once you have all of the vertical lining up done make the dish mount line up 100% straight to the motec... I did this by tying a piece of string to the mounting pole and making a straight line from the pole through the centre of the motec pole up the LNB stem on the dish

6. Connect your decoder to the motec and go to USALS setting and punch in your longitude and latitude settings and then select the satellite you have previously channel searched (e.g. C1 = 156.0deg) and hit Goto. The motec will then move to the required setting.

7. Connect the LNB to the motec and line up for your prescanned satellite (e.g. C1) do not adjust the vertical lineup or alter the mounting of the dish on the motec pole... only move the whole lot on the main mounting pole

You may then wish to adjust your LNB to get a nice medium setting for the satellites you wish to view... Congratulations you should now have a fully functional well setup motec HH positioner!

1. Placed the dish 'support-mast bracket' on motor 'square'.
    2. Put motec on mast and fit the reflector back to the mast-support.
    3. Once Motec and Dish assembled - aimed at C1 and adjusted dish elevation for clearest quality - tightened the bolts. (Do NOT overtighten the supplied bolts - risk of de-threading).

4. Zeroed the Motex via Diseq command on box. This put C1 out of RX - no prob. Now;

5. Used the receivers Diseq 1.2 'Installer' mode to drive West-East to lock onto C1 again (the dish is adjusted for elevation above). Once you get Quality you press most any button on the remote for it to stop at that point. 'Drive it back' if you must.

You then drive it to other Sats - enter the frequency say i701's French FTA, Measat 2, Pas 8, Pas 2 (no FTA going service on P2). Be prepared to stop movement once you get quality on your channel search.

5. Press 'Store' to save each Sat. - DONE.
    These are a few more. I found UGG was a big help. I’ve compiled them into a few different sets of instructions.

Hi,

I’m no expert but this is how I set mine up for Sydney.
    Most people will tell you to start with B3 but knowing B1 has a weaker signal I sated with it.

First make sure your pole is 100% plumb. Mount your Moteck so it points north (don’t do the bolts up to tight yet)

I than manually turned the Moteck to 9 deg. West using the marks on the bottom of it.
    You will need to change the “9 deg.” To what ever your Longitude is. To get it, you minus your Longitude from 160.deg (B1 location). Mine was 160 – 151 = 9

Mount your dish to the Moteck as per the manual.

Follow the settings in the manual 100% for elevation and declination.

For me:- Sydney – Latitude 33, Elevation angle 57 and Declination angle 5.377

In the manual it tells you to set the Declination angle on your dish to 40 deg. So what you do is minus 5.377 from 40 which gave me a 34.623 Declination angle for my dish. Remember to replace 5.377 to what ever it the manual tells you for your latitude.

Tuned my receiver to 12356h sr3688 fec ¾ moved the whole motec unit around until I found B1 and then I tightened up the bolts. You may need to twist the LNB a little too fine turn some satellites but that’s about it.

I now receive NSS6, Measat2, C1, B3, B1, Pas8, Pas2 and 701 on a 90cm dish with a universal LNB.

Pam.

If you are at 17 degrees Latitude, you should set your your elevation on the Moteck mount to 73, and set your declination angle, which is the adjustment on the dish mount, to 37.048.

i used the exact method as described in the in stallation manual, paying careful attention to the long and lat settings,aimed at c1, (best signal without adjusting any settings ) then manually moved moteck 11deg to east (using west button on moteck,i'm in melb )then used humax east-west adjuster to got back to c1 and bingo all sat were easily located only ever using adjustments on humax..................no more adjustment on moteck !!! once its set leave it alone

you must fine tune your LNB skew angle with i701 because it has the weakest signal -- this is probably all you need to fix your pixelation. Other than that, I would fine tune elevation and declination angles for i701 (less elevation, more declination, a step east or west) -- if you go back to B3 and it still works, then leave it alone.
    setup success
    I thought I would tell you of my setup experience.After playing for a few days and getting B3 easily and then going to I701 and getting pixelation I knew I was close, But when I adjust it for I701 and go back to B3 I was out there. I finally decided to get on the roof again and pull it down and start from scratch. This is what I done.

Assuming you have the latitude and longtitude setup in your STB.

1. Check the pole is perfectly plumb.

2. mount the bracket to the Moteck, The washers are a pressed washer and they have a raised lip one side, If you find when you tighten the nuts the bracket is moving off the setting then make sure the washer has the sharp edge up towards the nut.

3. Hook up the unit to your stb and zero it.

4. Remove the dish from it's mounting bracket. Much easier to work with just the bracket.

5. The dish bracket is a two part unit that clips together with a locating lug. At least mine is. that is allright for normal use , But it moves all over the place when you try to alter the elevation. What I done was drill a 1/4inch hole through the locating nipple and put a 1/4inch bolt in it. That way it swivels on the bolt.If your bracket swivells on one bolt and only has one adjustable slot, Like the drawing in the instructions.It should be fine.

6. Mount the dish bracket to the Moteck. Do this work on a bench or something. Much easier than the roof and you can set it up so that the centre line on the Moteck shaft is centre on the dish bracket. It is just about impossible to see the centre line if you try this on the roof with the dish assembled.

7. Somthing minor but use right angle rf connectors. They are in an awkard position.

8. Up on the roof and mount the Motech to your main pole. Not too tight, make sure you can swivell it. Bolt the dish and arm back on. Aim it somewhere towards North. You dont have to be to accurate because when you select B3 on ths STB and the Moteck
    turns to B3. I setup my portable tv screen the I told you about earlier. Then swivell the Moteck on the main mounting pole till you receive B3.Tighten the nuts. Tune the STB to I701 and see how you go. If it is not quiet right, Adjust the LNB (wish I had seen Carmelo's post about adjusting the LNB a week ago)
    You should not have to adjust any thing else. It should be just a matter of fine tuning the LNB Tune to B3 on the STB and see if it is right. I had to compromise with the LNB to get a signal on Aurora.

It's now working fine with B3 and I701.

UGG

My sugestion is the following

Peak the LNB on i701
    - By doing this B3 transponders will be skewed, to fix this just flip horizontal with vertical and vertical with horizontal

(Gabber the replacement Username for Chief_Cornholio and an old C-band Dish Setter upper)

Site
    Site location Sydney, Australia
    Site latitude 33.92S degrees
    Site longitude 151.17E degrees
    Magnetic variation 12.6E degrees
    Polar elevation 55.43 degrees
    Apex elevation 50.57 degrees
    Polar axis 34.57 degrees
    Apex declination 39.43 degrees
    Declination offset 4.86 degrees

Key to Abbreviations (degrees):
    Long: Sub satellite longitude
    AZm: Magnetic azimuth or compass bearing
    AZ: True azimuth
    EL: Elevation
    Band: Active Bands

Thanks

thanks Zod66, the cloud came across about 11.00am this morning and it stayed for the rest of the day, so I will have good read of this stuff tonight and if worst comes to worse, i'll have a go setting up to these tutes
    thanks again
    Last edited by osci; 05-04-08 at 09:26 PM. Reason: punctuation

Thanks

I hope your logged in at the m,oment Farmsky

according to the geoscience website, am I reading this correctly? for my location below, the sun will be at true north at 12.25pm today?

Lat=-38°07'00" Long=+144°19'00" Height=0.0m

AZIMUTH AND ALTITUDE OF THE SUN
    Time zone: +10.00 hours
    Altitude includes astronomical refraction angle for a standard atmosphere.
    Date Time Refraction Azimuth Altitude
    06/04/2008 12:25:00 00°00'58" 0°03'37" 45°20'42"

Thanks

06/04/2008 12:25:10 00°00'58" 0°00'05" 45°20'42"
    Yup! ... and 10seconds.

But you can plot it any time around now and simply use a protractor to find true north.

Thanks

And Gorbtrack agree's.

Thanks

ya not gunna believe this - at 12.24pm cloud started coming across but still a faint shadow and then right on 12.25pm (zero point) gone completely!!!!

and it wasn't until 12.27pm that I could get a shadow for a reading, so I check it against geoscience website and gave the following

06/04/2008 1200 00°00'58" 359°21'13" 45°20'33"

pretty close but i'm not sue if its close enough, luckily i took a reading 12.00pm so I might be to use a protractor to work out true north from here.......

Thanks

all finished the setup, and still only getting C1 D1 D2, got to be the poll buggar it all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by osci View Post
    all finished the setup, and still only getting C1 D1 D2, got to be the poll buggar it all
    To find what is wrong you need to push/pull your dish slightly to get other satellites, or try to do it on let's say C1. When you see signal quality improves, you'll get an idea where is the problem: elevation or true north. Or maybe both.

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast