Thread: No Power!!

Thanks

Default No Power!!

Well my apartment block has been in almost lockdown for 24 hours now.

At around 7 last night (just as I was watching the tennis ) a sprinker pipe burst and dumped a ton of dirty water over a flat a couple of floors below me. Then, for good measure, it dumped a bunch of water down the building riser causing massive electrical damage for lots of other floors.

So was a hot, quiet night.. I did sleep well though, and luckily have the iphone for company.

Still no power, no lifts either - so have to walk up 13 flights of stairs anytime I want to go out. This body ain't made for rapid manual ascension!

Had the day off work, but have to go in tomorrow. As no hot water, looks like a cold morning shower with a cold shave. The worst part is I have been on hols and so haven't shaved since last Friday..

God knows how long this will take to get fixed! Days? Weeks?

Spent hours on the phone to agent, strata co etc. Silly woman from the Strata kept telling me the power was back on my floor. Umm no it isn't, I said. Oh Yes it is, she kept telling me. Sounds like an old python sketch!

Of course all the food in the fridge and freezer is ruined, I spoke to the elec company and they say as it wasn't a fault of their equipment, they're not liable.

I hope this isn't a prognostication of 2010!
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

You may want to check with your neighbors if their power is on, just in case that crazy old lady is right, maybe invite her in to see for herself.

Id be going mental with no power.

Thanks

Yep checked with neighbours, all still out.

I'm hoping if I wander round town for long enough, it may all be fixed by the time I get home and I don't have to walk up all those stairs again!
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Thanks

Makes you realise how much our lives depend on power. Hence why we upgraded our cooking hotplates from electricity to gas - as least we have something to use to heat up water.

bambbbam, do you have a bbq, as realise you live in a multi-story dwelling but wondering if you had say a small balcony - as one of these would be very valuable at the moment! Just a thought, as we lived off ours while the DIY/managed changeover of above project was in progress.
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Thanks

Yep a bbq sounds good.. the meat would all have been off though since last night.

I do live in the cbd so will just get something - being within 100m of kfc,hj's,maccas,red rooster, 2 subways and countless cafe's isn't good for the waistline.

Thanks

Well might have power tonight - three nights with no power is getting a bit beyond funny now..

Made the news with a v. short story

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bambbbam View Post
    Yep a bbq sounds good.. the meat would all have been off though since last night.

I do live in the cbd so will just get something - being within 100m of kfc,hj's,maccas,red rooster, 2 subways and countless cafe's isn't good for the waistline.
    I say go nuts.

With all those stairs you can eat what you want, as long as the ticker holds out that is.

Thanks

you know I read a Sc Fi book a little while back, and basically the entire social order of the world broke down...................in a little under 3weeks................without electricity

Thanks

If you have home/contents insurance, you may be able to claim all of your spoiled food. I'd imagine you were having some friends over for banquet, and now the crayfish, abalone & scotch fillet steak had to be thrown out because of hygiene reasons..... ;-)

Thanks

didn't you see the top of the dom bottle just break free smashing the 21 carrot longines. Which hit the Gucci manbag which fell into the pool, with my PDA and ...

I want it all back! whhhhhaaahhh
    When I explained to the guy what avatar I wanted, that wasn't what I meant!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mudcrab View Post
    you know I read a Sc Fi book a little while back, and basically the entire social order of the world broke down...................in a little under 3weeks................without electricity
    i would believe that. not all sectors, but the metros would collapse into anarchy.

at my last house we had a storm rip through that took power out for 3 days+nights. the only real problem is water. we had pump from tanks and trickle feed town water, so no pressure. its all good, plenty of land to dig holes etc, hehe, and it didnt take long after that for me to buy a generator capable of running the pump, but i could image a 13 story building without water pressure+power. extend that to 3 weeks and half a million people, and i think society would degenerate VERY fast and hard. camping is fine even for extended periods, but it takes space, so does growing all your own food.

Thanks

I dont think most people realise how fragile the infrastructure of our modern society is .

If we had a major earth quake here that ruptured main feeds for water and gas pipes knocked over power transmission lines and damaged our power plants. Plus most of CBD would be wiped out lots of old buildings there and the newer shitty ones.
    Anarchy would brake out . Time to leave ASAP .

When Melbourne's the gas plant blew up gave us a small window into the turmoil that would ensue .

So here we have one building with out power for a few days . Imagine the a whole city no water no power no gas for 1 year or so.

Thanks

An update: told to go to a hotel, power 'should be' back on by Sunday arvo although perhaps in a 'limited form' (whatever that means), one lift 'may be' working by next Tuesday, the other lift apparently is beyond repair at this stage.

Insurers have offered one weeks free rent to spend on accom, which isn't much but I'll take it for tonight & tomorrow.

Those social order comments are certainly true.. the place is starting to stink like rotten food as I think lots of people have just abandoned their flats, and all the fridge/freezer food stinks.

Will be nice to have a hot shower tonight, and to be able to watch TV!!