Thread: Can I Use My IQ at Someone Else's House?

Thanks

Default Can I Use My IQ at Someone Else's House?

Hi guys.

I've had Foxtel at my Mum's house for years. Now I've moved out & when I rang Foxtel to connect I was told the unit's wiring probably isn't the latest & greatest so I can't get the IQ.

The new apartment is only a few years old so I am very sceptical. I'd like to take my IQ from my old place to the new one for a few days to try it out.

I know in the analogue days you could use a STU anywhere & Foxtel wouldn't know it was at a different location. Now that they have the newer digital service will STUs sitll work at a different location & if so will Foxtel know?

Thanx for looking.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

probably work okay as long as there is a sub box working already.

the foxtel operators hardly know what a cable looks like.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skywalka View Post
    Hi guys.
    when I rang Foxtel to connect I was told the unit's wiring probably isn't the latest & greatest so I can't get the IQ.
    Thanx for looking.
    The IQ needs a duel LNB to work correctly you got told about the units wiring problem because it sounds like its setup the old MDU way i.e. single LNB split to every unit

is there any way to mount your own dish ?

Thanks

yep...IQ will will if you move it to an other address..it must still be an active fox\optus sub card

later

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. I've just discovered what I assumed was a Foxtel outlet seems to be another regular antenna outlet. I don't know why there would be 2 side by side.

I'll try & get into the roof this week & see if I can find any Foxtel cable to connect to.

z80, I don't know if there is a subbox already. Is there only 1 subbox for the whole complex or does each unit require one?

RSA, if all else fails I'll investigate getting a dish.

Thanks

IQ to operate properly allowing you to time shift & watch one channel whilst recording another needs 2 signal feeds, allowing both vertical & horizontal signal feeds to be utilised by the IQ box. it doesn't need an active ph line. This is a scam by telstra to get phone calls @ 50c a pop.

Thanks

If the apartments have Foxtel satellite can I bring the IQ from apartments with Foxtel cable? I think I once read that they have different cards.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skywalka View Post
    If the apartments have Foxtel satellite can I bring the IQ from apartments with Foxtel cable? I think I once read that they have different cards.
    The cards are the same the boxes are different. You could put the card into a dreambox/octagon 418 and it would work

Thanks

Are you saying there are 2 different IQs?
    So I couldn't use a cable IQ with Foxtel satellite?

Thanks

2 different boxes

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

apologies, I didnt read forum heading so my posting was irelevant to cable services
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 19-05-08 at 04:14 PM. Reason: incorrect forum

Thanks

Over 2 years later & I still haven't done this! Still paying for Foxtel @ my Mum's & I never watch it.

I might take the time to ask U knowledgeable people if much has changed in that time.

There is a satellite dish on the roof but I never actually determined that's how the Foxtel is received at the new building. Is there a way to determine if the new apartments use cable or satellite? I have access to my neighbour's equipment. I guess this is step 1.

Step 2 would be to access the Foxtel signal. I have a large balcony that points North. Am I able to put my own dish up to receive the Foxtel signal.

Step 3 would be to find a way to watch the signal. Are the dreambox/octagon 418 suggested by paddyd still viable? Do they function like an IQ? Is there something else that functions like an IQ? Can I achieve IQ functionality with a computer?

Step 4 My fiance is Croatian so I'd like to look into accessing TV from that part of the world. This probably complicates the project but maybe there is an all in one solution so I thought I'd ask now.

Sorry about all the questions but I've been reading for hours & the letters on my screen are starting to look like the coding from the Matrix!

Thanx 4 looking.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I think from this posting Confusion reigns supreme.
    Are you talking CABLE or Satelitte as they are two entirely different systems and use different receivers which CANNOT be interchanged.
    You CANNOT plug a Cable receiver into a Satelitte dish or vice versa.
    With Satelitte, you can take the STB ANYWHERE in OZ so long as there is either a dish installed or you do your own install.
    Many still think Fox and Austar are different services and wont work over a line drawn on the ground but they do.

Satelitte IQ STB's require TWO cables from the Dish plus the TV antenna cable.
    As for your Fiance', there are companies who carry ethnic channels but you cant use the PayTV STB to receive them that I am aware of.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

To find out what Foxtel cabling/infrastructure exists in a building, call Foxtel.... it should be listed on their database.

Yes, if you install a dish with a clear view towards the C1/D3 satellites (NNE) you can receive the Foxtel signals. You may require permission from the building management to have a dish on your balcony.

You will of course need an appropriate decoder and an active subsciption to display the programs.

Yes, there are a few decoders still around that you can use a valid Foxtel card in... not sure about computer decoders though... others may be able to advise better on this.

Unsure about Croatian-specific channels, however, there are numerous multi-language programs on various satellites, other than C1/D3, so you may need a motorised dish, single dish with multiple LNB's or additional dishes to view other extra sats.

I suggest you sort the Foxtel reception issue first before attempting the others.

Thanks

hi,i want to run a foxtel iq2 hd cable box with a current/activated smart card in a house that has satellite foxtel.can someone please help me?
    is there some sort of converter i can get to put in-between the satellite plugs at the wall and the cable set top box? or is there a different type of box i can get and put my smart card into and use as an alternative to the stb.
    thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tivoli View Post
    hi,i want to run a foxtel iq2 hd cable box with a current/activated smart card in a house that has satellite foxtel.can someone please help me?
    is there some sort of converter i can get to put in-between the satellite plugs at the wall and the cable set top box? or is there a different type of box i can get and put my smart card into and use as an alternative to the stb.
    thanks
    If you've moved house and it's a legit subscription, Foxtel will change the box over to a satellite type.

No, there's no converter.... the two boxes/signals are entirely different.

Some third party boxes will run standard Foxtel cards for satellite, but not sure about iQ2.

Thanks

Why dont you just cancel your subscription at your mothers house and apply for as a new subscriber at your new residence then it is Foxtels problem to install and you will probably get 3 month free movies etc because you are a new customer.