Thread: 360 - 2 RED LIGHTS - Need help!

Thanks

Default 360 - 2 RED LIGHTS - Need help!

I need help!

I have 2 red lights.

Mine are left 2 lights (console horizontal).

Can play for about 5 or so minutes before the console fans turn off, display goes out, 2 red lights on. Just started happening yesterday. Same results using another power supply. What's happening and is it fixable?

Thanks heaps to anyone who can help.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

get it fixed under warranty.... 2 red lights, 3 red lights its all the same...

Thanks

Hey pak_indo,
    I would do that but it's my JAPAN 360 I imported
    That would be a problem getting fixed by Microsoft australia yeah?

I would have preferred my aussie one to die.

Thanks

dunno there... I personally would expect it to be reasonable for microsoft to repair it one way or another. Cant think of a reason why the shouldnt/couldnt and they will do a better job and you will keep your warranty

Thanks

Good news, all seems well now!

The heatsink was absolutely caked full of dust!

Cleaned it out and gave it a test run, have gone from 5 minutes max before the 2 red lights to about 8 hours last night with no problems whatsoever!

Very happy!

Thanks

If I were you I would put a intercooler or something like that or it won't be long before you do see the 3RL.

Because of the mechanism that causes the 3RL problem, its important to minimize temperature extremes that leads to the solder balls cracking and causing dodgy contact with the mother board. The way M does this is with a additional passive heatsink on the GPU ....as well as some epoxy on the corners of the BGA packages (which is pretty dodgy as well). Forcing more air through the unit will achieve a similar result to having a passive heat sink, not as good though obviously because the extra fans are noisy as all %$@ but it will certainly help or at the very least delay the inevitable.

Thanks

I am not trying to hijack the thread, it could be quite relevant.
    I had 3RL problem and the console was sent to MS for repair. The unit came back few days ago working nicely, when over suddenly it stopped with two lights on a left, exactly as timdotexe described. Initially console wouldn't listen to remote power off, then it finally powered down. The console restarted OK after that and didn't fail since (more than 2 hours).
    Is it something wrong with MS repair or their fix is not permanent. Will my console suffer to the rest of its days or I can force MS to do something better then sticking a passive heatsink in?
    Is it better to tell MS to get #$%ed and try to modify it myself?
    Sorry for this rather angry post, I am quite frustrated now with MS service, I did expect better outcome.
    And I have and always had external cooling fans at the back, which didn't prevent the 3RL to hit me.

Thanks

External cooling fans won't always prevent, but they will extend the time till the fractures occur. The other part of the equation is preventing the warp across the area of the BGA package. Microsoft apparently think that a few gobs of epoxy are enough to achieve this.

The other factor here is their use of lead free solder which makes the solder less flexible and more brittle. The use of lead free solder in electronic manufacturing is mandatory, so they have little choice here, unless you have someone reball the device with leaded solder and reflow the device. Even then I am not sure if this is 100% solution, even leaded solder will fatigue eventually if no other measures are taken to prevent the warp on the mother board due to heat and cool cycles.

i think you have to wait till your unit exhibits some more problems before you become more concerned, if it only happened once then it could have been anything, power supply spike for example.