Thread: Re:Re:Data Loss

Thanks

Wink Re:Re:Data Loss

Simply can't believe the number of mistakes that were performed, In this day and age 2 x 70gig hard drives are certainly not large, so why hasn't Leaseweb used a few usb backup-up 500gig drives to protect their customers data?, It's certainly a big loss as there was a lot of information for up and coming sat enthusiasts as well as the more seasoned.
    On the bright side though there were some threads which deserved to be deleted.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Polak View Post
    Simply can't believe the number of mistakes that were performed, In this day and age 2 x 70gig hard drives are certainly not large, so why hasn't Leaseweb used a few usb backup-up 500gig drives to protect their customers data?, It's certainly a big loss as there was a lot of information for up and coming sat enthusiasts as well as the more seasoned.
    On the bright side though there were some threads which deserved to be deleted.
    no point crying over spilt milk mate
    whats done is done
    move on

Thanks

Congrats though must go to Admin & the team for getting the site back up and going as quick as they did.

Thanks

Hi all, What great people we have running Austech. They have done well to get this great forum up and running again.I have been around since 2001 and have found it to be the best forum for info on many things.We will all work hard to keep Austech as the best forum around.Fare well to the old data and welcome to all the data.
    Cheers to all.

kevin1341 Far West NSW AU

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatGuRu View Post
    Congrats though must go to Admin & the team for getting the site back up and going as quick as they did.
    Personally I think this is something that really hasn't been said enough. The hoops Admin had to go through with Leaseweb is amazing (at least from what I hear) and personally I dont think there is much more that can be done.

Hopefully every tech person here will learn the lesson to check your backups to see whether they are okay before your problems occur, this doesn't seem to be something Leaseweb did
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks

Default For the old times

Here are a few memories of the old Austech site for those who find it hard to cope.....

Thanks for the admin and mods for the work done.

Cheers.

Thanks

Default Archive Section

I feel certain that a lot of the really important information will have been saved to members' hard drives, and just needs to be gathered together to provide an invaluable source of archived information. I know that I've saved a lot over the years. For instance I have a Humax power supply schematic, Activate VII, Sidplayos description of how CS works, Jomac season interface details, Kuband's Send in the Clones, copies of many programs like FM Card, Card Hunter, Cardblaster, a tutorial on capacitors etc etc. I have Kuband's landmark explanation of how Irdeto works on paper that I could scan and upload. I also have paper copies of the Jaycar card reader mod and many other assorted items. I've also kept individual posts of members that I found really useful and filed them away. We could have an archive without the wafffle!

I know that we have MegaUpload, but it's not a permanent source, as files are deleted after a certain time. We need permanent storage. Maybe a local server that a member could share with us? Remember the tutorial section of the old forum? That had so much vital information. I reckon we could restore that by putting together the individual parts we've kept. Over to you mods.

Thanks

I still can not believe that the site the size Austech was did not have 1 single backup over the 8 years
    Man that is the first thing i preach
    IF IT DONT WORK USE A BIGGER HAMMER

Thanks

me and my friend run a website, and we have had our share of bad hosters, we ended up with some random persons website on our domain that we had bought. best to set up your own server, not buy or rent one.

ps i have downloaded countless alarm manuals from the alarms section and are helping me to understand a lot about electronics. thank goodness i saved them...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    I still can not believe that the site the size Austech was did not have 1 single backup over the 8 years
    Man that is the first thing i preach
    no backup for 8 years?

Wasnt the site switched over from one server to another not long ago when the site was sold?

I would have thought a backup would be created incase something went wrong there.

Unless a straight server to server transfer was done.
    Engineering Parts for CNC Builds Stepper Motors, Switching Power Supplies