Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A rip off dish install?

Thanks

Default A rip off dish install?

I've recently signed upto Selectv. I already had a STB and Satellite setup but it wasn't pointing at Pas8. Originally I thought i'd be able to do that myself but now worked out there is a tree in the way so I need it moved and realigned.
    I rang the Selectv guys to get a quote.
    Originally the guy said it would cost $120 - $140.
    Once I told him I'd need extra cable, maybe 10mtr's worth, the price went up by $90.
    But I've seen the cable advertised at themodshop for $1 a mtr with fittings attached already.

What a joke.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RwS85 View Post
    I've recently signed upto Selectv. I already had a STB and Satellite setup but it wasn't pointing at Pas8. Originally I thought i'd be able to do that myself but now worked out there is a tree in the way so I need it moved and realigned.
    Once I told him I'd need extra cable, maybe 10mtr's worth, the price went up by $90.
    But I've seen the cable advertised at themodshop for $1 a mtr with fittings attached already.

What a joke.
    if its a rip off why not do it yourself?
    pretty sure selectv use subbys to do all there work...hence the pricing

pretty sure people here will be able to help you.

Thanks

okay, so was the quote for the supply of cable alone?

I bet not.

I bet it was to install it as well.

Did you consider that?

Thanks

Yes and did extra cable run have to run down or along a wall ? Was their original quote for moving the dish ??

Why not try with sat dish pointing at pas8 and tree first, depending on how close the tree is, you may be surprised and get a signal......

Thanks

Much, much cheaper to go the DIY option.

Thanks

I remember someone gave you an excellent advice - get the extra cable and use coax connectors to join your existing cable which runs inside your house wall and new 10m one which you can run under the gutter.

Banned
    Thanks

Smile where trying to stop thse shonks charging ppl to come out

hi there ,i agree that somerge you a rip off fee for coming where trying to stop ppl charging call out fees especially when its just the next suburb down. its a rip off i think there needs to be a big review in what ppl say is fair in charging ppl to come out especially when they want$80 per hour to align a dish its absurd ,thanks hamguy2 nsw

Thanks

$80 an hour

if its a colourbond roof and all he has to do is physically unscrew the mounts and supports, move it, refix it and align it and join cables it shouldnt take more than half an hour. It would cost him less than 6 dollars to make the cable and extension, so ring him again and ask him why so expensive?

Thanks

His quote is reasonable its certainly not a rip off, you won’t get a contractor out cheaper than that.

it cost me $80 to get a fridge mechanic out about a month ago and thats before he had done anything

if your not happy to pay a contractor just do it yourself

Thanks

You know there is a lot more involved in being a contractor than you might think. People see a rip off when in actual fact $80/hr doesn't go very far when you include the cost of purchasing a spec analyser, van, tools and ladders keeping cable and fittings in stock, insurance, rego, fuel, maintenance and servicing, workcover GST and PAYG tax. By the time it is all said and done, the poor contractor is lucky to be left with $25 in his pocket from the $80 he has charged. $90 is a pretty reasonable charge for an hours labour plus parts on top of the service call charge and time to move and re-align your dish.
    If it were so easy than you could do it yourself, but I bet you are not prepared to shell out several thousand dollars for a spectrum analyser are you.
    Instead you will beg or borrow from someone else, or alternatively you will buy one of the $25 satelite meters from eBay and spend 6 hours trying to find Pas8 only to give up in the end and call the contractor anyway.
    Save yourself some time and grief, pay the guy and watch TV or ask nicely for help, without the ripoff statement, instead of whingeing here!
    You want to do what exactly with that screwdriver?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by avtech View Post
    You know there is a lot more involved in being a contractor than you might think. People see a rip off when in actual fact $80/hr doesn't go very far when you include the cost of purchasing a spec analyser, van, tools and ladders keeping cable and fittings in stock, insurance, rego, fuel, maintenance and servicing, workcover GST and PAYG tax. By the time it is all said and done, the poor contractor is lucky to be left with $25 in his pocket from the $80 he has charged. $90 is a pretty reasonable charge for an hours labour plus parts on top of the service call charge and time to move and re-align your dish.
    If it were so easy than you could do it yourself, but I bet you are not prepared to shell out several thousand dollars for a spectrum analyser are you.
    Instead you will beg or borrow from someone else, or alternatively you will buy one of the $25 satelite meters from eBay and spend 6 hours trying to find Pas8 only to give up in the end and call the contractor anyway.
    Save yourself some time and grief, pay the guy and watch TV or ask nicely for help, without the ripoff statement, instead of whingeing here!
    I second that,As much as i like to help wether it be sat related or not, I need to put food on the table and pay bills.At the end of the day you also pay for knowledge.

Thanks

I am not a contractor and don't intend to judge their fees. It's free market here, you don't like it, don't buy it.
    From the other hand arguments I can hear sometimes make me smile. It's like the contractor buys the new analyser and ladder every time he is asked to realign a dish. Or maybe the cost is not partially paid by the tax man?
    And when the last time you saw contractor with analyser in his hands when aligning a dish?

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hamguy2 View Post
    hi there ,i agree that somerge you a rip off fee for coming where trying to stop ppl charging call out fees especially when its just the next suburb down. its a rip off i think there needs to be a big review in what ppl say is fair in charging ppl to come out especially when they want$80 per hour to align a dish its absurd ,thanks hamguy2 nsw
    you can always do it yourself!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WH20 View Post
    I second that,As much as i like to help wether it be sat related or not, I need to put food on the table and pay bills.At the end of the day you also pay for knowledge.
    Agreed, charge $50 for the job, and $100 for knowing where to look ! .

I don't think the installation costs make "SelecTV A Rip Off", perhaps the thread title is a bit vague and should be "Installation seems a bit expensive".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bulbous View Post
    Agreed, charge $50 for the job, and $100 for knowing where to look ! .

I don't think the installation costs make "SelecTV A Rip Off", perhaps the thread title is a bit vague and should be "Installation seems a bit expensive".
    Agreed, or Sat installer wants to rip me off.
    Not Selectv is a rip off.

If you feel the price is too high, grab a ladder and DIY.

If you cant, you now know the prices and know why their so high.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RwS85 View Post

What a joke.

At the end of the day if he has to run or not thats business if your not happy go and pay foxtel or Austar 199.00 installation fees.

business is business there not there to give freebies out. and if it has to be run then yeah think of the extra labour time.

stop being tight arse if you don't liike the price go to the modshop and buy it and install it your self you will save 80 buxs

Chief

Thanks

I think that the best thing said is.............don't like the price ?, don't get it done.

I'm pleased that people understand that prices and quotes etc, are usually based on an average, ie how much money it costs a contractor to turn up and do the work, and also make a profit.

At one time I worked for a company that installed ceiling sweep fans for a major retail supplier, my Boss got $70/per install (this was a while ago btw)........now if we had 3 in one house, with the controllers being put next to the light switch, with good ceiling access........yippeeee all round.

Get one with a flat Clip Lock, or iron roof, no ceiling acesss and hey we're there for 4-6 hours..................big loss.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

You dont have to use Select's preferred installer , you can pick up the yellow pages and call anyone you like. So if you think his price is too steep , ring some other installers for a quote and see what they say.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WH20 View Post
    There's not a lot of knowledge to it, but I agree with some of what you say.
    It aint rocket science or electronic engineering, learn & DIY!!

Thanks

as a contractor ( not the sat field ) when some one says thats a bit expensive. whats the best you can do I GIVE THEM THE YELLOW PAGES.

when i give a quote i take everything into account and that includes traveling there , listening to them talk ( my time ) having them over my shoulder while i work all material tax's insurance fuel my time to enter it in my accounts books when i get home my holidays i dont get paid for sick days i dont get paid for pulic holidays and the list goes on.But at no time am i looking at ripping anyone off as it has been mentioned there are a million and one other contractors in the yellow's

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast