Thread: Heritage Listed Install

Thanks

Default Heritage Listed Install

Hi guys/gals

Most of my installs are greenfields (new) sites but I now have to do an install at a heritage listed site - I cant seem to find anyhting on heritage listing install requirements and what restrictions there are - I have a meeting with the owners very shortly and would rather be armed with the right info.

ASIAL was as always a wasted phone call (beats me why we pay them really) - and I assume it will need council approval - so has anyone had any experience on this....

Thanks in advance

PS - I am in QLD

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

I don't know if there are any specific restrictions in QLD, but NSW and Vic require all cabling to be concealed. eg: no surface-mounted conduit/ducting.

Thanks

Anyone else know anyhting - thanks

Thanks

strongly recommend contacting the heritage trust for the area and getting everything in writing and signed as to what and how the works can be carried out.

When i was plumbing in Sydney and worked at the rocks i spent more time doing paper work than actually working and they will inspect and pick the shit out of every part of the job.
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Thanks

If you can run it on wireless you will save yourself a whole lot of grief.
    They tend to crack the sads when you so much as drill a hole.
    Therefore, wireless and Blu-tac are the order of the day. :P

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Therefore, wireless and Blu-tac are the order of the day. :P
    you're joking - right? especially if its video to be installed. I've knocked back a couple of heritage jobs over the years because you could not get definitive answers to questions. It's more a case of "you do your work & then we'll come & check it out & reject it". I would get the owner to do the ground work , put in writing how he requires the job to be done & accept responsibility. Work out your hours & then double them. Otherwise you are heading for a whole heap of grief.

Thanks

My advice, forget about the job. Put it in the too hard basket, unless you really need the work.

Im sure the heritage orders in QLD would be more or less the same as NSW. If so then you will more than likely be banging your head against the wall dealing with them.

That said if you conceal your wiring i cant see they would have too many issues. If the house is brick cavity construction then thats easier said than done.

Thanks

I worked on a couple of heritage listed buildings in NSW during the early '90s.
    Most of the advice given here by others seems pretty valid (ok..except for the blu-tac).
    I wouldn't just give up on the project as too hard either.

Yes, there are several issues relating to exposed wiring and drilling into or even in some cases mounting equipment on walls etc and wireless is definately worth consideration but you will still need approval before fixing to any existing structures.

As suggested, the building owners should have already done most (if not all) of the heavy lifting in relation to finding out what the relevant codes are and providing specifications relating to the scope of works. They should have lodged an Integrated Development Assessment System (IDAS) application with the appropriate QLD gov department if the site is heritage listed or of heritage value.

Installing new equipment in heritage listed sites is far from impossible and can be very rewarding both monetarily and in providing a sense of contributing to the preservation of important cultural and historical sites.
    is the only link I could find relating to undertaking new work in QLD listed heritage buildings.

Good luck.

Thanks

One thing I have learned with this type of installation is to do a brief of system and the installations methods that will be used. Ie Concealed cabling in roof with corner mounted camera at location x, 10 mm hole in corner etc.

Then get a signature from the owner that this has been approved by relevant bodies. Different inspectors have varying views. I have had a call 2 years after original installation at a museum wanting a keypad moved out of sight at a rear door and the wallpaper restored.

The few I have done have generally used a good wireless alarm system and for cctv small pinhole or pencil camera's. Bigger cameras are generally out since it detracts from the heritage look.

Keep in mind as well the ceilings are generally horsehair plaster or tin and often rot or white ant damaged. Cover your ass in case something cracks, particularly if got the big decorative pieces in centers of ceiling.

Thanks

Don't forget some buildings still have the good ol' arsebestos!