Thread: Exetel have been watching iiNet case

Thanks

Default Exetel have been watching iiNet case

i received this email today from exetel it appears they are going to go soft on users now who are found to be downloading stuff that they deem copyrighted.

Dear XXXXXXXX

For the past five plus years or so, Exetel has passed on to end users copyright infringement notices we receive from reputable agencies.

We have also then temporarily blocked internet access until the customer has clicked the button on the 'block page' acknowledging that they have received the infringement notice and either complied with it or denied the allegation.

Following the current court ruling by Justice Cowdroy in the Federal Court last Thursday we will modify this practice in the near future. We will continue to send any infringement notice we receive in the future but before the end of February we will not require the user to acknowledge receipt of it nor will we temporarily block the customer's internet access. We will continue to send the infringement notices because we believe it's in the best interests of the person who pays for the internet service to know what other entities believe the service is being used for. Many users who pay for the connection (and are therefore liable for how it is used and what it is used for) do not always know how their service is being used and we believe they should be informed.

Subject to final legal advice, and re-coding time and testing, we will in future simply send the infringement notice to the registered 'owner' of the service together with this cover email:

Dear [ ],

A copyright infringement notice has been sent to Exetel that states that your Exetel IP (internet connection) has been used to acquire material the breaches copyright.

You do not need to take any action except to be aware that, if you or some member of your household are in fact using your internet connection to infringe another party's copyright, they have been able to detect that action and could, at some time in the future should they wish to do so, involve themselves in the legal and other costs of taking some action against you.

Again, you are not required to take any action regarding this infringement notice and it is sent to you as a courtesy in case usage of the internet connection in your name is being used in ways unknown to you.

Exetel Provisioning

i wonder what can o worms this might open up for the RIAA/MPAA etc etc

NS
    The Early Bird May Get The Worm But Its The Second Mouse That Gets The Cheese!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoService For This Useful Post:

John1711 (09-02-10),z1gg33 (08-02-10)

Look Here ->

Thanks

I still think its sneaky of them joining in and contributing to the "illegal" content. then notifying the isp of your breach.... cheeky buggers
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

noservice, i got the same email today,
    do you think every exetel user got the same mail? or maybe they're only warning
    some users?
    Last edited by gavpk; 08-02-10 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks

i got the same email and so did my parents and we have only been signed up for about 3 months and 1 month respectively so i think it was sent out to everyone.
    DM600 & 85cm Motorised Dish

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gavpk View Post
    noservice, i got the same email today,
    do you think every exetel user got the same mail? or maybe they're only warning
    some users?
    I received the same email today, i think every exetel user will get the same email.

Thanks

Wow reading that it sounds like they are promoting piracy on their service. I'm shocked they would be so upfront about it rather than continuing with the system they had.

There is gonna be a world of hurt coming from the new copyright laws if they keep this sort of thing up. 3 strikes by accusation will be here before we know it.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
    Wow reading that it sounds like they are promoting piracy on their service.
    I dont think they're promoting piracy, it feels like they're trying to shift responsible onto the end user.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

John Linton ( CEO of Exetel ) is a very bizarre character. You should read his blog pages. Its like the rantings of a mad man Having said that , good on him for some of the things he does. The industry needs a rebel.

Thanks

I recieved the email also good news i think i knew of people being disconnected because there kids where downloading stuff they didnt know where illegal being kids lol at least now they are aware of it and can fix it :P

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    John Linton ( CEO of Exetel ) is a very bizarre character. You should read his blog pages. Its like the rantings of a mad man Having said that , good on him for some of the things he does. The industry needs a rebel.
    Being an agent I always have an interest in his blogs. I don't agree with everything he says and does but I give him massive kudos for having the balls to come out and say the things that some people only want to think.

I would much rather deal with a company run by someone like him who tells you how is, as opposed to a company like Telstra who only tell you what you want to hear!

• The Following User Says Thank You to warbo For This Useful Post:

Hakko (11-02-10)