Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roof Insulation, Have you had it done via rebate.

Thanks

Well known ambulance chasers Shine Lawyers eh?

No mention of the Bozo's that screwed up the install, noooo it has to be the Gubbermans fault.

It's like Peter Garrett went round there himself and did the job.

Shine Lawyers are just doing this for the free publicity.

I wonder if he had an Earth Leakage cutoff switch, anrn't they supposed to stop this sorth of thing?
    Last edited by Globe; 15-02-10 at 04:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 707 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    . Including a government that is financing a scheme of this type. They either forgot ( unlikely ) or just thought that they should be able to get away with it.
    Hazard assessments are done on a site-by-site basis, not on an industry-wide basis. Basic OH&S 101
    Last edited by Don Benosee; 15-02-10 at 05:49 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Globe View Post
    I wonder if he had an Earth Leakage cutoff switch, anrn't they supposed to stop this sorth of thing?
    In my place the safety switch is only on the power circuits....my light circuits have none.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

Globe (15-02-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    No...I disagree. Wanting the media to practice vigilante justice is stupid.

The instigator of this scheme without sufficient or any oversight is the government. The media should pressure THEM to find the guilty, and the minister responsible for rushing this politically motivated fatal shambles (and that is what it is) into operation should be out of a job

Cheers
    enf
    Vigilante Justice.? Are they pursuing Peter Garrett in this fashion.?

There are Laws, Health and Safety act, regulations, Codes of Practice etc that govern these. Even if some of these lack specific specific detail there is a common law duty of care to be considered. I would like to see a copy of the JSA for each of the fatal incidents.

I see this as having highlighted flaws in existing regulations which may be under the control of State Government Ministers.

The deaths of the installers will be investigated and charges laid as per whatever State authority sees as needed such as Workcover in Victoria.

What about Solar hotwater rebates, solar panel rebates and water tank rebates etc.? These have been accepted. The main push for these schemes is to reduce greenhouse gasses and energy use requiring more powerstations to be built and will benefit the average punter. The funds also go into the big "money go round" to also stimulate the economy.

Disclosure- I have benefitted from the Solar hot water scheme and potentially from the solar panel scheme.

Thanks

Why couldnt they place a layer of insulation over any electrics on install.
    This is all because cowboys working under big companies do the work.
    We had em here .They didnt need to measure the house lol.They got it of the satellite images lol

Then there is the downlight issues from heat .Another kettle of fish
    Last edited by Oscar; 16-02-10 at 07:51 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Oscar For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (17-02-10)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dogsbreath View Post
    Vigilante Justice.? Are they pursuing Peter Garrett in this fashion.?.
    No, but they should be. They have a far better chance of being right than running around madly trying to find individuals to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by dogsbreath View Post
    There are Laws, Health and Safety act, regulations, Codes of Practice etc that govern these. Even if some of these lack specific specific detail there is a common law duty of care to be considered. I would like to see a copy of the JSA for each of the fatal incidents.

I see this as having highlighted flaws in existing regulations which may be under the control of State Government Ministers.

The deaths of the installers will be investigated and charges laid as per whatever State authority sees as needed such as Workcover in Victoria.
    This should have all been sorted via co-ordination between the federal and state authorities PRIOR to any rollout of this type. But it wasn't. It was a politically motivated rush job, and should be seen so. The world isn't going to climate change hell by waiting for possible pitfalls to be sorted out.

More Australian deaths have occurred in this fiasco than in the Afgahn war for christs sake.

Disclosure- I havn't benefitted from the Solar hot water scheme and potentially from the solar panel scheme, or any other scheme for that matter. But thats from choice.

Cheers
    enf
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Peter Garrett doesn't spend a whole lot of time in reality - never has.
    What a poorly planned and disastrously executed plan to win a few greenie votes.
    Did he seriously think his little scheme would not be rorted by all and sundry?
    What planet does this idiot live on? Utopia?
    Krudd's stimulus dollar windfall (also known as Howard's Surplus) couldn't have been pissed down the drain any faster by this moron.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Standard setup seems to be a rusted out XD Falcon station wagon on gas attached to a trailer containing batts stacked about 20 meters high. At least 4 bozos in the car all smoking and looking like they have been inhaling fumes all day. The funny thing is I went to Melbourne last week and saw exactly the same setup Must be a franchise
    Heard an interesting story today, look out for the ones who can't seem to include a ladder in their kit. They'll ask to borrow one and while the owner is out in the shed trying to oblige they will grab what they can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    What a poorly planned and disastrously executed plan to win a few greenie votes.
    Did he seriously think his little scheme would not be rorted by all and sundry?
    Krudd's stimulus dollar windfall (also known as Howard's Surplus) couldn't have been pissed down the drain any faster by this moron.
    I think Peter Garrett better start singing that song "Batt Sky Mine"Er!!!
    or start dancing with those little Indian kids aka Bollywood style!!

Thanks

Had my house done today. I counted two installers going in to the roof space and counted two returning safe and well.They used non conductive localy made bats I selected after a bit of investigation.It's up to me to make sure any work carried out on my house is safe.I can't see how anyone can blame a third party for bad or unsafe work.It's also up to me to protect my family and ask many question,use my own common sense then make a informed choice even if is is free.

I had one company ring my wife to ask if we had received a rebate then proceeded to book us for a quote.They rang back the next day to change the time so I promply declined the offer. I did not want to deal with a company that ignored we were on the do not call register. It just sounded alarm bells to me and I was glad to be rid of them.I had a few words to my wife about what had happend because she didn't understand why I was upset as she thought she was doing a good thing(and it was).The problem was she could not tell me anything about who they were or what they were using for insulation.
    I've got to say I was pissed off.

I guess the good side of it was we did get insulation fitted and it was free and safe.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The only time the government gives out freebies or a rebate is two months after I've paid full price full price for the product or service!!! In the last week and a have I've had about 4 different teams of Pakis/Indians asking if I've got insulation in the roof and a lot of these people look like they've just stepped off an Indonesian Fishing Boat. Is this why Rudd keeps letting these people in, as canon fodder to replace those getting killed in the industry????
    The Eagle Flies High!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    sounds like you know him well?
    When I explained to the guy what avatar I wanted, that wasn't what I meant!

Thanks

This is what I was talking about in my original post. The minimum requirement is very low below R value 0.5 (which is almost nothing at all considering most installs are approx between R 3.0 to 6.0 depending on the insulation used) and most places with any type of existing insulation are well over that therefore are not eligible for the rebate. A lot of installers will do it anyway and claim the rebate and charge enflated prices for the work so they get as much money as possible. Obviously they would prefer to remove the existing insulation "evidence" first so if it gets audited there is no proof that the existing insulation was over the minimum insulation level.

"I said I already had insulation, my home was only built in 1995. But they wouldn't take no for an answer, they said it didn't matter."

Melbourne man Robert Crawford, who has worked in the industry for almost six years, said he walked away from the scheme in disgust.
    Mr Shinnick said a Templestowe customer, who had insulation installed by his company 12 years ago, decided she needed it "upgraded" after a random call from an insulator.

"The company who did it pulled out the old insulation, which was perfectly OK, put in substandard insulation and charged her to remove it," he said. "Now we have to fix it up because the workmanship is so bad."
    Last edited by ingxen; 19-02-10 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks

Insulation Scheme has been canned .

Thanks

not canned but changed
    as it should have been from the start
    same as solar/hot water/lpg ect

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mickc View Post
    not canned but changed
    as it should have been from the start
    same as solar/hot water/lpg ect
    Just what I heard for the promo for the news . Teach me for listening to them as usual they have stuffed it up.

Also water tanks have to be installed by a licensed plumber.

I dont think many people know about the federal rain water tank scheme .
    You can double dip EG claim the state and federal schemes for the same installation.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 389 Posts

Pandora perhaps and what we are seeing is his avatar.
    The question is, who is driving it and why?

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123