Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roof Insulation, Have you had it done via rebate.

Thanks

Default Roof Insulation, Have you had it done via rebate.

Had one of these guys come round and inspect the roof insulation.
    needs to be replaced, can be done via the rebate, they wanted $400 cash for the removal, and insulation.

edit: was really reluctant to provide contact number for head office, frankly I think its a bit of a scam. I might be wrong, his excuse was that if I ring his head office, then they (head office) will think that he has not explained it to me correctly and somehow then will reflect poorly on him.

Have been told by others that, they were charged $200. even @ $400 this sounds like slave labour!

I was told, it would take 4 hours to remove and install (2 guys).. I was very surprized as I have done a roof, and it took at least 3 full weekends with 2 guys(me & my friend) and industrial vacuums (granted MUCH MUCH bigger house has had several extensions) and different insulation - house was from the late 20's

then with the current curfuffle, with "installer" deaths was wondering what other think/have done?
    Last edited by z1gg33; 11-02-10 at 03:00 PM. Reason: ...
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Had it done with no monetary outlay.

Came first, did inspection, returned 2 weeks later and did the job, nothing to pay.
    Last edited by viewer; 11-02-10 at 03:18 PM. Reason: took 2 guys less than 1 hour

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

I had to pay $150. They did it within the fortnight. I used Cool and Cosy here in Perth. They did our old house 12 years ago and did it well. Could have got a dozen quotes via all the junk mail, door knockers etc but just wanted to deal with that company.

Banned
    Thanks

Just to clarify my post...we already had insulation in 80% of the house. We thought we may as well see if we qualified for the free grant to do the rest. The mob said we were ( local major hardware store) and they put in the max they could.I think the grant was then down to $1600 worth of bats and labour. There was more left over than we actually needed, and the remainder was spread on top of part of the existing bats that had been put in over 20 years ago, and gone real thin. None was removed.

Thanks

If you accept the Insulation offer I believe, not 100% sure, that it prevents you from claiming the solar hot water rebate. I was able to subsidise my solar hot water system by about $3000 through government rebate and REC's.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

They were getting $1600 but from what I read today Peter Carrot has reduced it to $1200 to " reduce the amount of cowboys ".

I am not sure how reducing the money will do that , but thats what you get when you put a rock star in government.

Thanks

it was reduced to $1200 few months ago.This was once it started and they began to do the audits they found over inflated charges from new bodgy installers.

this was determined by companies such as cool and cosy - pink etc allowing the government auditor to look at what they were charging for XXXX size install for the last 18 months and found the majority of new and small operators were way over charging and that they had to reduce the amount and sent mail to all registered installers who had to register with the government for the payments they wanted to claim
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

My father just had batts thrown over the rockwool insulation he had for $0.

I had them come around and check mine, they told me mine was fine and did not need upgrading.

Lots of stories appearing in the paper about foil insulation installed leading to electrocutions and talk of all foil installs needing an examination for safety reasons.
    Last edited by Godzilla; 11-02-10 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    My father just had batts thrown over the rockwool insulation he had for $0.

I had them come around and check mine, they told me mine was fine and did not need upgrading.

Lots of stories appearing in the paper about foil insulation installed leading to electrocutions and talk of all foil installs needing an examination for safety reasons.
    from what i've heard thats spot on, it's the problem of young guys, (inexperienced and untrained other than to say "only tread on the beams") doing heaps of work, unsupervised instaling foil insulation, not bats.

they are installing this stuff over faulty/dodgey/just plain old wiring that has an un-insulated section and it's foil and therefore conductive, so "puff"....

we've all seen these jockeys with a trailer that should have a warning light mounted atop because its nearly the size of a covered 18 wheeler trailer, with a 4 door ute packed with young guys going like a rocket (prob paid by the job) it wouldn't surprise me to find it's actually local insulation surpliers, ie they only have MAYBE one or 2 fulltime installers hireing these guys on a job by job basis and making a packet, by all means make a packet, but dont kill people on the way!
    When I explained to the guy what avatar I wanted, that wasn't what I meant!

Banned
    Thanks

I doubt (wasn't here but wife is sure) the two fellas that did our's had any formal training. I guess we are just as bad, as we did not ask for proof of credentials/training etc. Just two youngish fellas working like bats outa hell she reckons.

Point for self....go up inside roof area on the weekend and have a look....

Hmmm..

Banned
    Thanks

I looked on line about training
    2 DAY NEW INSTALLER COURSE - REGIONAL
    Price $590.00
    Price – xxxxxx Insulation
    Clients*
    $490.00*
    No. of
    Attendees

It also says they get a white card or cic card.

Thanks

I was speaking to someone who got into it when it first started and he tells me they hang around the jobs/notice boards at Tafes and hand out business cards, no shortage of workers desperate for a dollar.

Im pretty sure there is no formal training.

Thanks

The "Rep" told me that it needs to be cash and handed over to them, as "these guys are just laborers" (no disrespect, but the guy knocking on my door was nothing more than a hawker as far as I am concerned) so thought it funny, that he called them "just laborers" it was actually worst than that.
    Last edited by z1gg33; 11-02-10 at 08:04 PM. Reason: the replaced with that
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

I think the employers of the dead employees should be hung out to dry . The buck stops with the employer to provide a safe working environment / training in safety and the job .

Isn't this the way it works for all other industries .

Hows it the government at fault if I employ some one and shove them straight into a roof with no training of any kind .

There are Federal and State basic work safe codes to comply with already.

They should make an example of these employers clean them out financially and gaol time also .

Administrator
    Thanks

The government has been warned 14 times ( pretty sure it was 14 ) about this issue and did nothing. 4 people are dead and about 1000 roofs are live.

The government knew quite well that a heap of unqualified bozos would be doing these jobs and didnt give a shit. Until it was revealed there are 4 dead and lots of live roofs.

Peter Garrett should be sacked as a minister. How did he think all this insulation was going to be installed in the " giveaway " time period ? By the tiny amount of qualified people ?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

What a shambles this whole thing is...

Even the ACTU is on his case...

Cheers
    enf
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Administrator
    Thanks

I just read a hilarious article where the head of a union was blaming Tont Abbott for it. Head scrtacher that one.

But yes , what a shambles. Every bum and his dog has been on this band wagon. Standard setup seems to be a rusted out XD Falcon station wagon on gas attached to a trailer containing batts stacked about 20 meters high. At least 4 bozos in the car all smoking and looking like they have been inhaling fumes all day. The funny thing is I went to Melbourne last week and saw exactly the same setup Must be a franchise

Administrator
    Thanks

Also forgot to mention the difference between issues in QLD and VIC.

Victoria uses batts so therefore we dont have the electrical risk. But we do have a fire risk. If you have downlights and have had any clowns install installation I would suggest you have it checked out promptly. Some of these idiots have been lying batts OVER THE TOP of downlights which is likely to cause a fire.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z1gg33 View Post
    Had one of these guys come round and inspect the roof insulation.
    needs to be replaced, can be done via the rebate, they wanted $400 cash for the removal, and insulation.

edit: was really reluctant to provide contact number for head office, frankly I think its a bit of a scam. I might be wrong, his excuse was that if I ring his head office, then they (head office) will think that he has not explained it to me correctly and somehow then will reflect poorly on him.
    I'm pretty sure if you have any type of existing insulation in your roof you do not qualify for the rebate although lots of the installers will do it anyway so they get the extra cash and they just say the house had no insulation.

It sounds like the guy asking you for cash didn't want you ringing the head office because they would find out he isn't meant to install it in a house with existing insulation.

Thanks

No ingxen, my father had the new one laid over his rockwool insulation for free.

They said the rockwool does not meet the minimum insulation requirement, therefore he gets it and with no charge.

We tried at my place, they took a look up in the roof space and said mine does meet current regs, therefore no (2nd layer of) insulation

They do throw a new layer of the new stuff up if your old one is not insulating to current regs.
    Last edited by Godzilla; 12-02-10 at 02:27 PM.

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast