Thread: Download Speed Question

Thanks

Default Download Speed Question

Hi guys, recently upgraded my ADSL to ADSL2+.

Now I've been testing my speed and I'm abit concerned that I'm not getting the full speed that I should be. I'm syncing between 12000 and 13500. Now on quite a few occasions I'm getting between 1.2 and 1.3mps download speed using my newsreader from the newsgroups. There are of course accasions where I'm getting rather less. Anyway, if I download a file from say Rapidshare on a premium account, should I expect the same sort of download speeds? At most I'm usually getting 100KB/s. Web pages seem slow to load and when the kids use Youtube, it loads slowly and you get stuttering. I would've thought it should be able to cope quite easily.

cheers

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smithster View Post
    Hi guys, recently upgraded my ADSL to ADSL2+.

Now I've been testing my speed and I'm abit concerned that I'm not getting the full speed that I should be. I'm syncing between 12000 and 13500. Now on quite a few occasions I'm getting between 1.2 and 1.3mps download speed using my newsreader from the newsgroups. There are of course accasions where I'm getting rather less. Anyway, if I download a file from say Rapidshare on a premium account, should I expect the same sort of download speeds? At most I'm usually getting 100KB/s. Web pages seem slow to load and when the kids use Youtube, it loads slowly and you get stuttering. I would've thought it should be able to cope quite easily.

cheers
    Speed will vary depending on the server you are downloading from.

You maximum obtainable connection speed will depend on your distance from the exchange, quality of the cabling between you and the exchange, quality of cabling in your home, how ADSL filtering is applied and number of devices on your line.

Loading of web pages can vary greatly depending on their content, the browser you use, the configuration of your computer, how busy the website server is, etc, etc.

It makes no difference if you have a fast computer and fast internet connection if the website server is slow.

Thanks

Yep understand that however aren't files from places like Rapidshare premium suppose to be able to download at full speed? Surely I should get better than 100KB/s.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smithster View Post
    Yep understand that however aren't files from places like Rapidshare premium suppose to be able to download at full speed? Surely I should get better than 100KB/s.
    Let me try this analogy:

A freeway is capable of moving a lot of traffic very quickly, however, if it becomes congested, the traffic moves very slowly.

Thanks

Cool, just seems odd that you upgrade to get faster speeds only to get the same.