Thread: New house, blank canvass for CCTV setup.

Thanks

Default New house, blank canvass for CCTV setup.

Hi all,

I'm in the early stages of building a house (EDIT: currently designing, no physical build started yet) and am wanting to incorporate an expandable CCTV system. I am a registered cabler, although have been out of the industry for about 5 years, and in any case I have ZERO experience in CCTV setups so what I'm looking for at this stage is advice on a few items:

1. Is coax the standard cable of choice for CCTV systems? Connectors, ohms etc?

2. What separation is recommended between A/C mains and Ethernet cables?

3. What type/sort of DVR systems should I consider? As stated I would like expandability (up to 16 cameras), I would also like the ability to view cameras remotely.

Basically, I want to take the opportunity to lay the necessary groundwork now (cabling, power etc) so it's much easier later to add cameras as funds allow. I know there are hundreds of pitfalls, and I want to avoid as many as I can

Thanks very much for any and all advice.
    Last edited by Chivas; 22-02-10 at 09:40 PM. Reason: added detail

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Hi Chivas,
    If you are starting from scratch I would definitely consider planning in some form of structured wiring system like the (although there are others available as well).
    This allows you to have all of your equipment centralised in one area of the house but allows you to control from any room.
    Equipment can include (but not limited to):
    Security system, cctv, phones/intercom, network, a/v equipment (just mount ir receivers in each room to control various equipment), tv, foxtel, etc.

Rule of thumb is to keep all extra low voltage cabling at least 600mm away from mains wiring (not always practical in reality but some good forward planning will minimise) and whenever they must come close to each other it's best to cross them at right angles rather than have them run parrallel to each other.
    There are plenty of good DVRs on the market now to choose from ranging from fairly cheap equipment you can pick up at jaycar to enterprise systems that provide more features/reliability but obviously are going to set you back more $s. its really depends on your budget and how you expect to use it.
    Whatever you decide on, it's a good idea to make sure that all your equipment is compatible (e.g. does your TV have enough inputs to interface with the various systems etc).
    Check the link to get an idea of whats possible.
    If you run a couple of cat5 cables for network and telephony, a couple of coax cables for video and cabling for ir recievers and possibly audio speakers to each room from your central hub, you should be covered as far as the wiring goes. Dont forget the plumbing for the ducted vacuum system while your are at it.
    Sounds like you are embarking on an exciting project. I suggest you start a new thread as a kind of journal to keep track of where your ideas are headed, how the job progresses and get ideas and input form others as you go.
    best of luck.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SCT View Post
    Hi Chivas,
    If you are starting from scratch I would definitely consider planning in some form of structured wiring system like the (although there are others available as well).
    This allows you to have all of your equipment centralised in one area of the house but allows you to control from any room.
    Equipment can include (but not limited to):
    Security system, cctv, phones/intercom, network, a/v equipment (just mount ir receivers in each room to control various equipment), tv, foxtel, etc.

Rule of thumb is to keep all extra low voltage cabling at least 600mm away from mains wiring (not always practical in reality but some good forward planning will minimise) and whenever they must come close to each other it's best to cross them at right angles rather than have them run parrallel to each other.
    There are plenty of good DVRs on the market now to choose from ranging from fairly cheap equipment you can pick up at jaycar to enterprise systems that provide more features/reliability but obviously are going to set you back more . its really depends on your budget and how you expect to use it.
    Whatever you decide on, it's a good idea to make sure that all your equipment is compatible (e.g. does your TV have enough inputs to interface with the various systems etc).
    Check the link to get an idea of whats possible.
    If you run a couple of cat5 cables for network and telephony, a couple of coax cables for video and cabling for ir recievers and possibly audio speakers to each room from your central hub, you should be covered as far as the wiring goes. Dont forget the plumbing for the ducted vacuum system while your are at it.
    Sounds like you are embarking on an exciting project. I suggest you start a new thread as a kind of journal to keep track of where your ideas are headed, how the job progresses and get ideas and input form others as you go.
    best of luck.

While I dont really disagree with what STC is saying , in my experience I've found that generally structured cabling is more a marketing tool than a useable asset. Many new houses have boasted structured cabling when in fact all they have is a couple of cat5 cables to various rooms. I can recognise the use in lighting & music (ceiling) distribution it is a fact that these items will never change in their placement. As for phones , computer networks , audio/video inputs & output in particular rooms the best location for them will always change as furniture placement changes. So backbone cabling from a central location to fixed locations at the other end is usefull to an extent but generally structured cabling is overrated & in the long term under utilised.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    While I dont really disagree with what STC is saying , in my experience I've found that generally structured cabling is more a marketing tool than a useable asset. Many new houses have boasted structured cabling when in fact all they have is a couple of cat5 cables to various rooms. I can recognise the use in lighting & music (ceiling) distribution it is a fact that these items will never change in their placement. As for phones , computer networks , audio/video inputs & output in particular rooms the best location for them will always change as furniture placement changes. So backbone cabling from a central location to fixed locations at the other end is usefull to an extent but generally structured cabling is overrated & in the long term under utilised.
    All fair comments. I'd agree that unless there is an intent to utilise the setup you install there wouldn't seem to be much point going to that much trouble and expense.
    It is probably fair to say that purchasing a structered cabling hub such as the one I linked to doesn't provide any more functionality than designing and building your own cabinet to house equipment and wiring. Having said that, I can see some benefit in studying the concept of the hub enclosures and how they interface your various systems so that you can use the ideas presented in order to plan your build in advance in some ordered fashion.
    Watchdog makes another valid point about changes to furniture placement affecting the useability of your installed backbone cabling. This is also probably true to a degree but I would suggest that the only way to really cover this contingency is to install outlets for all of the various systems on every wall in every room. This kind of built in redundancy, while technically possible, is generally not feasible economically and some degree of decision making about how and where systems will be used should overcome this to a reasonable extent.
    One suggestion I would highly recommend though is that you allow to install at least one double power point on every wall in the house. This at least will provide a fair degree of flexibility with placement of electrical equipment in various rooms especially when the urge to redecorate takes hold.
    It is becoming increasingly more popular for home owners to install a home theatre system in one room of the house that is dedicated to this kind of activity (cinema room etc). In this case placement of items (and associated cabling) such as surround speakers, screens, furniture and even wall/floor coverings etc can effect sound quality (accoustics) and should be planned well in advance.

Thanks

1. Is coax the standard cable of choice for CCTV systems? Connectors, ohms etc?

RG59 with 24/0.20 F8 is suitable for analogue video. I'd run Cat 6e for PTZ and to future proof your installation.

2. What separation is recommended between A/C mains and Ethernet cables?

As stated by SCT: 600mm

3. What type/sort of DVR systems should I consider? As stated I would like expandability (up to 16 cameras), I would also like the ability to view cameras remotely.

A standard analogue DVR should be fine. If you get a 16CH DVR you're getting ripped off IF it does not do more than 100pps (@ 4CIF/D1) for under $1500 or does not have free remote managment software package included.
    Most of the basic DVRs have software for PDAs.

Thanks

Have a look at this structured cabling system, i installed one in my house when it was being built it is fantastic, if you google Lexcom Home network system you will find some info its made by PDL.

The LexCom Home Network system is so flexible that applicable
    equipment can be connected to any LexCom Home Network outlet in
    any room. This makes it easy to move equipment around the home and
    gives users greater freedom and options in the planning of their new
    home design.

All Functions in the Same Outlet
    Each communication or entertainment device (whether it be a telephone,
    computer, TV, etc.) is linked to a standardised wall mounted outlet via a
    specially adapted connection.

Three types of connecting cords are provided for TV/video/radio, telephone
    and computer / network devices to be connected to the wall mounted outlets.
    Easy to Change the Function of the Outlets

The distribution centre is a bit like a computer
    patch panel. For every outlet in a room, there is a
    corresponding port at the distribution centre, with the
    same numbering.

A patch lead at the distribution centre connects the
    outlet in the room to an active module (which can
    be either the TV amplifier module or the telephone
    module or the data module).

For example, to change a TV outlet in a room into a
    computer outlet, simply unplug the patch lead from the
    TV amplifier module and plug it into a spare port on
    the data module. In the room, a computer can now be
    connected to what used to be a television outlet.

• The Following User Says Thank You to 2Secure For This Useful Post:

Chivas (20-09-10)

Thanks

Thanks heaps for all your posts so far guys. I have looked at the Hills set up and although I like the concept, I think I'd prefer to build my own cabinet. I plan on running my own structured cabling back to a central point with a few racks so I can patch things as I need to. Ideally I'd have plenty of wall sockets in each room but as SCT mentioned - I need to balance flexibility with feasibility.

I know for a fact that I will not be able to purchase/install all the cameras I'm after initially - so should I run coax/ethernet (as applicable) to each desired point and create a wall socket in the roof so I can just mount the camera and plug in? Or is it standard to run the cabling through the camera bracket into the roof so that it is not visible at all?

2secure - I've had a bit of a look at the lexcom kit and it's definitely worth more of a look - which I'll do today.

Thanks again everyone for your responses.

Thanks

The lexcom gear looks ok, although it put me on to the Clipsal site which I am really impressed with.

A quick question while I remember - with switches like these:

or these:

... Are they more prone to wear and tear as opposed to conventional switches?

Ta... *Continues to look....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
    I know for a fact that I will not be able to purchase/install all the cameras I'm after initially - so should I run coax/ethernet (as applicable) to each desired point and create a wall socket in the roof so I can just mount the camera and plug in? Or is it standard to run the cabling through the camera bracket into the roof so that it is not visible at all?
    You can go either way depending on the type of cameras you use.
    Normal digital (or even analogue) cameras require a RG59 coax for the video signal and a 24/0.20 fig 8 cable for power (either 24vac or 12vdc depending on the cameras).
    Alternatively you can use IP cameras in which case you would run a cat5/6 cable to the camera for video. While IP cameras are generally more expensive they do provide some advantages as far as picture quality (you can of course get some very good quality standard cameras as well, it depends a lot on your budget) , versatility and ease of cabling (some of the IP camera ranges allow for POE or power over ethernet although I have had both positive and negative feedback on the use of this. Others here may have more info.)
    There are a wide range of mounting brackets and housings to choose from and some do provide for concealed cabling. My advise would be to use these as they provide a degree of mechanical protection for your cables as well as looking much nicer.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SCT For This Useful Post:

Chivas (20-09-10)

Thanks

Thanks SCT.

I would prefer to use brackets offered concealed cabling - and I think I'd prefer to IP cameras, but will look more into the pros and cons...