Thread: Internet connection is not currently available.

Thanks

Default Internet connection is not currently available.

I recently reinstalled Win XP Pro following a major mal. I thought I had an incident free clean installation and the system is back where it was before the mal.
    HOWEVER ...... Now when I am browsing or checking email after a period of about 5 minutes of inactivity the next click returns a dialog box stating that No internet connection is available and offers me the options to work offline or retry .. retry always gets it going again.
    I am running on a wireless network connection which is always on and the modem/router doesn't appear to have a problem ... I have changed the wireless nic today scanned with AVG, Malwarebytes and Trojan remover ... nothing found. This is getting very annoying.... what might have I missed ... is there a setting in XP that disconnects after a period. Help would be appreciated.

Ok I have looked at everything I can think of .... someone .... anyone ... please
    Last edited by MrRadio; 24-02-10 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Heartrending plea

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Check the properties of the wireless device, there is an option for PowerManagement, disable that. Maybe that is the issue.

Do you use the utility of the Wireless adapter or just windows? It sometimes help by not using the utility.
    Cyberficial Intelligence, knowing me is knowing Insanity.

Thanks

Windows controls the wireless device. Interestingly I haven't yet seen it manifest while using the Fox only IE and OE. I am leaning towards the possibility of a malicious dialer hiding in there somewhewere but I have scanned three times and nothing.

Thanks

Finally, one tick in the box solved the problem .... but I have never had to tick that box b4. I am still none the wiser as to why I have to now or what has changed a couple of days ago to cause the problem. Anyway.. I guess all's well that ends well.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

You say this has happened after checking your Mail ??
    In the past I have had a problem with Outlook Express defaulting to 'Disconnect after Checking Email'
    I didnt have 'Auto Connect' set so I would be unaware of the disconnection untill I tried to surf the net.
    This 'Disconnect' didnt mean closing OutLook Express, it closed my Internet connection.
    As I was on DialUp at the time, it meant another phone call and when I contacted my ISP help line, we found this is what was happening.
    I had not changed anything then or when it again happened at seemingly random times but I wonder if a Downloaded Program wants to be the 'Default' Email server during installation etc and causes this to happen even though you dont select it during an Instal.
    I still check Outlook settings every now and again to ensure it is running as I want it.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 26-02-10 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks

After reading your post gordon and thinking carefully, thats a change for me, I think it was shortly after I installed the Fox that it went pear shaped. This might make sense because the box I had to tick to get it right again was the "Automatically detect settings" box in the internet options of IE.
    Last edited by MrRadio; 26-02-10 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Typo

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

It seems some Programs like you to use their versions of things like when loading RealPlayer as against MS Media Player, they try to make it the Default player and if your not watching what is being proposed, not only it but other changes can take effect.
    That 'Auto Detect' can be tricky as some wont work with it and others wont work without it. No Consistency so your left trying to figure out what is going on.

Dont you JUST love computers and all their 'Bleedin' whacko weird and wonderous workings?

Thanks

What I have found in the past with XP and a machine with a pci modem, is the default setup windows does leans towards dialup, so as mentioned before, the disconnect after checking email would be set and even though it would work on a broadband connection that wasn't the default option.

I would always have to go to the internet connection properties and select the LAN option then auto detect, after that all stayed as it should.

Piss the dialup modem off and you never have the issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skozzy View Post
    What I have found in the past with XP and a machine with a pci modem, is the default setup windows does leans towards dialup, so as mentioned before, the disconnect after checking email would be set and even though it would work on a broadband connection that wasn't the default option.

I would always have to go to the internet connection properties and select the LAN option then auto detect, after that all stayed as it should.

Piss the dialup modem off and you never have the issue.
    Good theory .. but I don't have a dial up modem .