Thread: Want to get off the grid? Not in Qld...

Thanks

Default Want to get off the grid? Not in Qld...

I heard from a pretty reliable source today that if you want to disconnect yourself from the power grid in Qld, and you have power running past/to your property, the power companies by law can still charge you connection fees. Only state in OZ apparently. Any sunshine state folks have any experience here?

Great idea on this new section too...nice work.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

For many years a number of councils in NSW at least would charge you a water rate or fee on your rates for water if you had the pipe past but non connected to your property.
    This was eventualy stopped as people rightly claimed no other service made any such claim and it wasnt apparently legislated for.
    Obviously you would have to get a solicitor check your specific area to see if any such legislation exists.
    It could be like a covernment estate builders have on their Sale agreements or Council building restrictions to ensure each house is built to a specific value and form in an estate or area.
    In some way it could be like the Rule/law that if a sewerage sytem is made available to an area, houses must connect to it and fill or remove septic systems depending on the local council requirements.
    Also in NSW now, I understand you cannot install new or replace an electric Hot water service with an electric unit if Natural gas is available in the street, connected or not to the property.
    Possibly one with a heat pump would be exempt from that requirement as woud be Solar Panels.

Thanks

I had a argument with a NSW north coast council of paying for a water service charge and it wasn't even running past a vacant block I had.

They ended up trenching in 150 metres of pipe to get a meter on the block at no charge .

Thanks

Round here they claim its a fire fighting levy.Empty blocks can be protected by having a hydrant near by so they pay water rates.

Thanks

I don't know if it still applies, but when we had rural property near Kempsey in NSW, part of the building approval stated that you had to have a 10,000ltr water tank exclusively for fire fighting.