Thread: NBN trial sites

Thanks

Default NBN trial sites

The National Broadband network has just releases the locations of it's mainland trial sites and i've just discovered i'm living in the middle of one!

The sites are:
    * A part of the suburb of Brunswick in Melbourne
    * An area of Towsnville covering parts of the suburbs of Aitkenvale and Mundingburra
    * The coastal communities of Minnamurra and Kiama Downs south of Wollongong
    * An area of west Armidale, NSW, including the University of New England
    * The rural town of Willunga in South Australia

Anyone else in any of these?

p.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I never cease to wonder at the weird and wonderfull plans regarding BroadBand Internet.
    Several years ago now I watched the Bulldozers lay miles of Sky Blue coloured cable which I am sure was Optical Fibre cable all throughout the Central Tablelands, Lithgow/Bathurst area.
    I saw this same cable in the Potts outside our local 200 number 'exchange'
    and when I asked anyone working at this 'exchange' if it was now 'linked' by Optical Fibre thru to 'where ever', they inferred it was.
    From what I gather, to go ADSL all we need is the neccesary equipement installed in the 'exchange' but they wont do it because of the small number here.
    There is BB either side of me, one is a small town of 2,500 people, the other is a village no bigger than mine, so why havent we got it?
    As far as I am concerned, this roll out is a joke.
    No television, No ADSL and poor Mobile service and I am within 100 miles radius of Sydney.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I never cease to wonder at the weird and wonderfull plans regarding BroadBand Internet. ... As far as I am concerned, this roll out is a joke.
    That sounds like it was Telstra that rolled all that out?

The whole point of the NBN plan is to bypass Telstra because they are crap. Whether they will prove any better is a whole other story but to blame the NBN for the failings of Telstra is a little back to front.

p.

Thanks

I thought the legislation hadn't even been fully passed yet?
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poiuytrewq View Post
    That sounds like it was Telstra that rolled all that out?

The whole point of the NBN plan is to bypass Telstra because they are crap. Whether they will prove any better is a whole other story but to blame the NBN for the failings of Telstra is a little back to front.

p.
    So is this NBN rollout duplicating cable already laid by Telstra to these areas but not being used or connected or as I thought, to make cable available where none already exists?
    If it is replacing/duplicating, it aint here or new lay, it aint here either.
    This means again there will be bloody great gaps left throughout the country for who has what service.
    Duplication really makes sense doesnt it, doing that only adds a few more billions into the equation.
    This idea is as stupid as the cable laid by both Optus and Foxtel down the same street in the metrop and ignoring the side streets instead of running one cable and covered TWICE the area with the same length of duplicated cable and had more customers as well able to access the cable.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 03-03-10 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bambbbam View Post
    I thought the legislation hadn't even been fully passed yet?
    Same actually. They obviously have enough approval to go ahead with the trials even before the legislation passes though.

p.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    So is this NBN rollout duplicating cable already laid by Telstra to these areas but not being used or connected or as I thought, to make cable available where none already exists?
    It is rolling out a national FIBRE network not a cable network. If telstra has been deploying Fibre to the home there has been very little of it. The NBN will make a fibre point available in theoretically in 90% of Australian homes and then offer that network at wholesale rates to ALL telcos and not just telstra.

I believe the NBN are in "negotiations" with Telstra and other suppliers about purchsing their existing fibre networks with a view to incorporating them in the large national network. I think it is at that stage where the offer to purchase is being accompanied by the threat to duplicate.

This idea is as stupid as the cable laid by both Optus and Foxtel down the same street in the metrop and ignoring the side streets instead of running one cable and covered TWICE the area with the same length of duplicated cable and had more customers as well able to access the cable.
    I don't follow you. Isn't the point of having a single national wholesale fibre network that it avoids this kind of duplication?

p.

Premium Member

Thanks

That was the question I posed earlier,
    Is this 'NEW' National Fibre Network going to areas NOT presently served by a Fibre cable OR is it DUPLICATING already existing cable whether it is in use or not ???
    If for TECHNICAL reasons, the current OPTIC fibre cable in place where it is proposed to lay this NEW cable, is NOT suitable for the new service then this NEW FIBRE cable is an upgrade, NOT a duplication.
    If however the current OPTIC cable is able to carry the service, then laying NEW is a bloody waste of MONEY.
    Here we then run into the Brick Wall of Corporate stupidity if the in place cable is owned by another and they dont want to play by leasing/selling/sharing that cable.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

I know I'm a little dense, but why wouldn't they test the new service in an area that has no broadband access at all?

Surely this is a better way to test something?

Premium Member

Thanks

I think the word 'Test' is wrongly applied here as against another servie, rather to see how well it performs under 'REAL' time conditions such as load and capacity and reliability.
    In Theory everything works 100% of the time 24/7 but often the REAL world puts that out the window.
    Dont forget by choosing semi isolated places where nothing existed before and letting everyone know it is a 'TEST', if it crashes big time, no adverse publicity is there?
    Big difference if it was installed cold in a City and fell over, OH BOY !!!

This was partly why the Mildura area was chosen to be the first place for the FTA Digital changeover, small enough, far enough away to make mistakes and not get your head bit off.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 04-03-10 at 08:02 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

If you want read the why's and how's you can find most of the info here

I got excited when I read Armidale was a trial site, but it's in the west and I am in the east :-(

Thanks

I am about 300 metres from the brunswick test area
    Only Premium Members may advertise in their signatures!

Thanks

Including the area around the University of New England is stupid, as the university itself is already directly connected to a 1 Gbit fibre optic link through AARNet, at costs much less than the NBN will ever offer. There are also a number of points between UNE and the Sydney PoP where schools and the like could connect.

Thanks

And if the Libs get in ????? There goes your NBN network

JH

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoward View Post
    And if the Libs get in ????? There goes your NBN network

JH
    I tend not to pay any more notice to it, as I believe it will never get to me , and I am in a position similar to gordon_s1942, but only 30km out of Coffs Hbr.

I,ve been advised that there are no plans by Testra ( i know it is a different consortium for NBN) to change any of the infrastucture at our local exchange, and being more than 3km from it, the best I'll get is adsl1, and I should be thankful of that. I pay for 1500 speed, but best regular speed is 1300, and they say I should be happy with that.

When someone advises that all australians will have access to nbn, then I'll get excited, until then, I fall back to my usual diatribe of one service for the city, nothing for the bush, but we pay the same taxes.

Banned

Thanks

Red face You are not Robinson Crusoe with your rough deal from Telstra

[QUOTE=viewer;297778]

I,ve been advised that there are no plans by Testra ( i know it is a different consortium for NBN) to change any of the infrastucture at our local exchange, and being more than 3km from it, the best I'll get is adsl1, and I should be thankful of that. I pay for 1500 speed, but best regular speed is 1300, and they say I should be happy with that.

I am 4.5 klms (cable length) from the Tweed Heads Exchange and cannot even get Adsl1 because Telstra refuse to follow UK standards and connect Adsl to lines with 60DB loss (mine's 59Db) instead sticking to there unrealistic 56Db cut-off point.
    The NBN is a projected 8 year rollout plan so I maybe pushing up "Daisy's" before it comes to me.

Otherwise known as VK4XA MaXiLeeCH's Avatar
    Thanks

As the crow flies, I am less than 800metres from my exchange.
    My phone line is another matter entirely, It's almost 3Km!
    ADSL 1 @ 1500 is ok but much more than that is an issue. (Att figure is 40+ & 25+db down and up respectively)

Damn I hate Innisfail.
    (Which used to be known as Geraldton, but they changed it to avoid confusion with WA's Geraldton.)
    You can bet your bippy that NBN Co wont make an appearance here anytime in the near future, It's taken from when mobile phones were introduced to late last year to get an Optus tower into the area!
    What hope do we got for decent broadband..............not alot I fear.
    Last edited by MaXiLeeCH; 17-05-10 at 06:47 PM.
    MaXiLeeCH
    Lord of his ring, keeper of his faith, master of no-one!