Thread: PS3 Not ps2 compatible

Thanks

Default PS3 Not ps2 compatible

Hello,
    Mate of mine recently bought a 40" Sony LCD HD tv and as part of a Sony promotion he got a free PS3 Blue ray.
    Problem is.... his Playstation 3 does not play Original PS2 Games.
    Are there different models of ps3's? If so, why would Sony (apart from their obvious greed) not enable the ps3 to play these disks.
    Also, is there a firmware update that allows you to upgrade unit and thus allow you to play these discs?

seeu

Look Here ->
    Thanks

yes different models, the 40GB model does not support backwards compatibility

have a read here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seeu View Post
    Hello,
    Mate of mine recently bought a 40" Sony LCD HD tv and as part of a Sony promotion he got a free PS3 Blue ray.
    Problem is.... his Playstation 3 does not play Original PS2 Games.
    Are there different models of ps3's? If so, why would Sony (apart from their obvious greed) not enable the ps3 to play these disks.
    Also, is there a firmware update that allows you to upgrade unit and thus allow you to play these discs?

seeu
    yeah its pretty pissweak isn't it mate?

as Toor has said, the bigger HDD version is backward compatible.

Mick

Thanks

Not any more, Sony have totally withdrawn backward compatibility was the last I heard, in any case the backward compatibility was always half arsed, except of course if you live in the USA where there is a full emotion chip inside. Even the 60gig version did not have a full emotion chip, rather it was a cut down version half running software emulation.

SOOO many people I speak to are put off the PS3 because of this, and a lot of people just assume wrongly that it is. When I tell them it isn't, they tend to be swayed more to the 360 which at least does a decent job of emulation.

I have to admit I was caught with the 360, I stuffed a xbox game in there and was shocked when it didn't work, but at least you CAN with 360 if you get the emulator packs.

I think this is a marketing disaster for Sony, I also think that it should be CLEARLY marked on the box "NOT compatible with PS2 titles"

Thanks

Thanks guys. I agree, it should be clearly marked on box.
    Also, F&*%%$N moron salesman with no idea giving people the
    "Oh, yes sir! It definately plays ps2 games"
    I told my friend he should ring Sony and tell them to come and pick up his
    $3000 tv and Playstation and jam it up their arse.
    Talk about misleading the public. They have an obligation under the Fair Trading act to ensure they don't claim features that don't exist.
    Unfortunately my mate isn't as prone to indignation and anger as me and is quite happy to brush it off... Sigh!

Thanks

If you want to play PS2 titles - buy a PS2. If you want to play PS3 titles and Blue Ray , get a PS3. If you have a PS2 and want a PS3, keep it to play PS2 titles as you'll get stuff all for it S/H. Got a chipped PS2? We'll your backups will never work in the PS3 anyway. I'd rather have a cheaper version of the PS3 that isn't backward compatible, than pay more for a console that is. As I said , you buy a PS3 for PS3 titles and Blueray not for PS2 titles.

Thanks

i havent played one ps2 title on my ps3 yet. And dont think i ever will. And before everyone label my an Xbox hater, i'm not i am in the lucky situation where i can afford to own both. And again with the 360 i have never played an oringinal xbox game

Thanks

Hang on, that's like saying if you upgrade to Vista, you shouldn't be able to access or use ANY of your documents or software from XP and thus have to buy a new pc.
    Why does the PS3 play CD's. Most people have a CD player and the ps2 certainly plays them. Is the hard drive IDE, SATA, or SATA2?
    Everything else about the ps3 is backward compatible. Most people have Original games and should not have to purchase those games again.
    Don't forget the ps3 has hdmi outputs and with 1080i upscaling would improve the quality of the graphics on your ps2 games.
    Have watched normal dvd's through mates ps3 and there is a noticable difference.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seeu View Post
    Hang on, that's like saying if you upgrade to Vista, you shouldn't be able to access or use ANY of your documents or software from XP and thus have to buy a new pc.
    Why does the PS3 play CD's. Most people have a CD player and the ps2 certainly plays them. Is the hard drive IDE, SATA, or SATA2?
    Everything else about the ps3 is backward compatible. Most people have Original games and should not have to purchase those games again.
    Don't forget the ps3 has hdmi outputs and with 1080i upscaling would improve the quality of the graphics on your ps2 games.
    Have watched normal dvd's through mates ps3 and there is a noticable difference.
    Greedy Sony?
    I guess SOMEONS gotta be the bad guy hey...

I think you guys are getting it wrong..
    The PS3 is a new machine with new technology. With the prie of PS2, and the fact most PS3 owners already have one, there is no point in backwards compatibility save for HDMI or upscaled output.
    As for ownign games and having to reppppurchase. this is not the case. There wont be many "updated" games for PS3 which came from PS2 source.
    As for scaling, MPG scalers arent an issue comapred to actual game res scaling.
    Theoretically youre corect, but the difference itself wont be all that much considering most people still play PS2 through composite connections. Through HDMI the PS2 material will be noticably better simply becuase its not restricted to the bitrates composite is restricted to.

As for biitching about backwards compatibility or what it can and cant do, the fact remains that if the PS3 doesnt do what you want, dont buy it.
    Noones holding a gun to you head.
    For many, teh PS3 is a welcome addition to any home theatre setup and offers much more than an XBox straight out of the box.
    The 360 has its own nuances, but in the end, the PS3 is a machine which does a job, and it does it well.
    The 360 (with HDMI), much the same

Ive got both, and i persoanlly prefer the PS2 be used as such, as i woudlnt want the kind of hours put into the PS2 forced onto the PS3 which is 3 to 4 times mroe expensive
    If the PS2 dies, so what, for under 200 i can get a chipped replacement.
    You cant do this with the PS3 at this time.
    The PS2 is disposable
    As for Comparing it to Xbox, consider the differential in HW between xbox and Xbox360.. there isnt much of a difference between the 2 machines save for updated HW.
    The actual code is the same as it always was so it shoudl inherantly have the ability to be compatible.
    Sony on the hand.. as "nasty" as people make them out to be, not only creatd a enw technolgy with the cell engine, but also refined that technology and are now pushing it within other technologies.
    There is no denying that Sony have evolved and been proactive with tchnology (thoughout their entire catalogue) whereas MS, is obvious in it for the $$ by using tried and true technogy, albeit working tech, its nothign new or innovative

I DO like the 360 catalogue of games, (mass effect and halo 3 to name but 2) but for what the machine is, and what it can offer a home theatre, its not worth the price tag, espcialy considering I will eventually be able to buy these games for my pc anyway.
    Exclusivity is another thing i consider when making an investment, and if i can buy a game on PC for 50bux, vs the same game on a console for over $100, i'd always take the PC option.
    There is no reason why prices need to differ in such a manner.

my 2c

Thanks

When you buy a 40Gb PS3 SKU it says on the back of the box it will not allow playback of PS2 titles.

Personally I couldn't care less, but I understand for those who do.