Thread: Victoria : A family affair

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Victoria : A family affair

Quote Originally Posted by Brief Preview
    JOHN Brumby denies revelations that four family members on the taxpayers payroll will damage politicians in the eyes of the public.

A bullish Mr Brumby today also rejected that it was a bad look for the Labor government after almost 11 years in power.

Mr Brumby also distanced himself for the employment process claiming the hiring of his two sisters-in-law and his daughter by other Labor MPs had nothing to do with him.

But the decision to employ four family members on the public payroll has been slammed by taxpayers.
    See link for full story

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Pretty common for the boss to help get relatives jobs in any buisness I would have thought.

Ewww! Why do I suddenly feel so dirty?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heraldsun
    Mr Brumby's daughter, a nephew and two sisters-in-law work as electoral officers and inside his office and that of Deputy Premier Rob Hulls.
    In any first world government, this would be called blatant Nepotism.

In a labor government, it's called business as usual.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackDuck For This Useful Post:

bss904 (12-03-10),eaglem (13-03-10)

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

It's very common for all sides of politics to do this. I guess it can be a form of abuse in that other than keeping family and friends in a job the politician perhaps has someone working there who is unlightly rat them out for abuses of their position or use of electoral allowances which has been shown to be of great importance in Victoria at least.

It's also very convenient that while taking a partner on a tax payer funded tour would normally mean they have to pay their own way if they travel as a member of staff then it's on a the good old tax payers credit card.

A while ago a person employed in a politicians office was happy (while drunk) to tell me all about how the politician regularly flew off overseas and recently to Asian destination for cloths shopping and it was all a great joke.
    Last edited by SystemRat; 12-03-10 at 03:45 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I know its common in politics ( and unions ) , but I wouldnt think the premier would be dumb enough to have that many family members feeding at the trough.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

HoochDaTank (12-03-10)

Thanks

Mate they all have their snouts in the trough, like the Sydney club director who signed contracts to purchase goods from his own family companies, everything from printing to deliveries etc..

Don't let people tell you this is a classless society - there is a certain level of people that get whatever they want.
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Thanks

Storm in a tea cup.
    Democracy & Ignorance = A Winning Combination

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,079 Times in 9,094 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by osci View Post
    Storm in a tea cup.
    I agree totally....compared to the 1.3 billion+ he's blown on the MYKI trough its absolutely nothing hey?....

Cheers
    enf
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

osci (13-03-10)

Thanks

All of these details will be recorded in the parlimentary register that covers conflicts of interest, whether real or perceived!....this will be a public document/register and an FOIi request should get anyone access to the register.

I just think its very hypocritical of the media to be choosing to bring this to the public attention now, if it is an issue of the public interest, then why not raise it at the time or immediately after the time it occurred.

In the case of one of the sisters-in-law, she has been working in the electorate office of one of the state members for 22 years, and I thinks thats well before Brumby's time as a member of parliment....so what else is the media not telling the all to willing to believe public?
    Democracy & Ignorance = A Winning Combination

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,079 Times in 9,094 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by osci View Post
    All of these details will be recorded in the parlimentary register that covers conflicts of interest, whether real or perceived!....this will be a public document/register and an FOIi request should get anyone access to the register.

I just think its very hypocritical of the media to be choosing to bring this to the public attention now, if it is an issue of the public interest, then why not raise it at the time or immediately after the time it occurred.

In the case of one of the sisters-in-law, she has been working in the electorate office of one of the state members for 22 years, and I thinks thats well before Brumby's time as a member of parliment....so what else is the media not telling the all to willing to believe public?
    You want sensible, non biased, accurate and timely reporting from the media?

I'm having another vision...I see..I see..I see the cover of Pink Floyds Animals album...complete with chimneys and pink pigs...

Cheers
    enf
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

no big deal, people get jobs from family members in any industry, It isn't as if they are making policy based on a family members business getting a contract.
    iam a bogan

Thanks

Just found this old article where a woman was charged after putting her cat on the electoral roll.. so anything is possible.

The focus of vote rigging and electoral fraud this morning shifted from political parties to pussy cats. A Parliamentary Committee has heard today how, after a Federal Police investigation, a pet cat had its voting enrolment cancelled.

The moggie, named 'Curacao Fischer Catt' and her owner escaped with just a slap on the paw apparently.
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bambbbam View Post
    Just found this old article where a woman was charged after putting her cat on the electoral roll.. so anything is possible.
    About 1983 I think, You had to apply for the issue of a medibank card, I filled one out for my doberman, as his penmanship was deplorable, and about 2 weeks later it arrived in the mail.

A medibank card for Bismark D Brown-Doggie.