Thread: AV in on Chinese GPS PNA

Thanks

Default AV in on Chinese GPS PNA

Hi folks,

A while ago I purchased a cheap ($88) Chinese GPS from eBay, and noticed that it has an AV-IN port on the side (2.5mm socket) along with a headphone jack. The unit is black with an orange strip around the outside, and was not advertised as having AV in capabilities. Does anyone know if it is possible to get the AV-in working on these units, and if so, how? I have tried just plugging in a video source (using different pins), to no avail. Surching online has provided me with no results either.

It would be nice if I can get AV working on this unit, as then I can stick a reversing camera on my 4by

Pred.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 862 Posts

Without knowing how the input works it will be hard to impossible.
    Some only need a video signal and can be switched on over the menu others need a 12 or 5V input as well.
    The problem is that if you try the last there is real chance of damaging or killing your device.
    If you can open it you might be able to figure out how many connectors you need on the plug (2,3,or4).
    The ground should be easy to find the rest can be harder...
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I am wondering if its just an Audio OUT from the GPS to hear information when driving or carrying it for directions (AHHHH soo, a turn left in 60 Noodles) or if it has an internal AM/FM radio or a card slot, playback from it?
    IF it is a FM radio, remember that the Japanese FM band is above ours, never looked where the Chinese have theirs.
    Regreatably it could also be just an 'ole' not used on that model.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 12-03-10 at 06:21 PM.

Thanks

it could just be a hole that leads to no where, they could have used a case from another model and they couldnt be bothered making a new case that does 't have a AV IN (considering it wasn't advertised as with AV in)

I dont really know what a AV IN will do on that unit ?, i would image it should be av out ??

Thanks

I got myself a 2 din chinese "unit".

And I have a cable running from the back that says "Analog tv", but when I opened up the radio... well, let's just say they know how to handle a wire-cutter. :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I am wondering if its just an Audio OUT from the GPS to hear information when driving or carrying it for directions (AHHHH soo, a turn left in 60 Noodles) or if it has an internal AM/FM radio or a card slot, playback from it?
    IF it is a FM radio, remember that the Japanese FM band is above ours, never looked where the Chinese have theirs.
    Regreatably it could also be just an 'ole' not used on that model.
    Hi ive got a similar chinny gps with orange band, mine came with a transmiter and receiver for rear the view camera, the av in on my gps is a 2.5mm 4 segment pin, i also bought a 2.5 av to rca connecter cable from kenable about £2.50 that includes p+p for trying a cable connection from camera to gps(better solution) hope this helps....

Thanks

Hi,guy, it is uesd for a reversing camera.
    I sent a web here, which sells the reversing camera . It is called "taobao" ,just like ebay for chinese (though the characters you may not understand, but you can see the picture to image). There are two parts. One (with the camera and launcher) is fixed on the car license plate and the launcher is put inside your boot/trunk, connecting the power supply of reversing light. when you reverse your car, this parts begin to work to emit the view of your car back through the cam on the plate. The other red part(with the receiver and the input) can receive the view and show on your GPS(insert the AV-in ).
    The price is 200 yuan ,about 30 $. But I dont know if you wil get a fine as you have a cam on the plate. haha~.Anyway, i am really afraid the police because i can not clearly explain my viewpoints, and they are a little unreasonably troublesome. Do you thik so?? Sorry if i give offence.
    May be you can find the similar things on ebay.
    here is the web

Thanks

In addition, if any guy have problem with "the box characters",haha Chinese words, you can connect with me. I will try my best to help.
    email: qcscott2004@gmail.com

Thanks

Like most people have said it is designed to be used for a reverse camera but it can also be used as a separate screen, for example it can be connected to some head unit in-car to act as a screen, or connected to a portable dvd player as an additional screen.

Thanks

Smile

HI there..

Ok.. been playing around for a bit lately with some 4.3" and 5.0" CN GPS units.. Video Quality is OK, but Not great as the LCD screens in the GPS unit are normally pretty cheap with Tight viewing angles, Low bit converters etc.

Anyways, AV IN Details for Most units I've played with is as Follows:

The Plug is a Standard 2.5mm 4 segment: probably source a molded one from ebay/ phone shop /ipod etc.. chop the lead, splice to camera cabling etc..

Connections are:

1 - Right Audio In (RED)
    2 - Left Audio In (WHITE or BLACK)
    3 - Video In (YELLOW)
    4 - Common Ground for ALL Input Lines

If the above Pin-out Doesn't work, Try connecting the Camera Output (or any Video Source really) to either pins 1,2 or 3 till it switches and You can See Video on the GPS LCD..

From 30 years of playing with AV stuff, You shouldn't really damage anything with a few seconds of Quick connection to confirm or deny you've got the right Pin ( or segment) on the 2.5mm plug.

Once the Unit Has a Video Signal connected to it ( and normally, no matter what is application or s/w is running on the GPS unit, ie. Nav, Games, Apps, the Win CE desktop, whatever...), It will switch to AV In Mode.. You'll get Video and Audio.. If the unit has a Thumb-wheel style Volume control on it use that to control Volume, If not, the Audio will eithr path thro at 100% volume or Maybe determined by current volume setting in s/w running, or Win CE Sound settings..

Finally, Obviously the Audio will sound pretty crappy and the L+R Channel are mixed as the unit only have One speaker internally, but "should" send L+R to the Earphone Jack (3.5mm) Audio Output.. most schematics I've seen feed the Stereo Audio thro to the Audio Output jack, via some amplification circuitry obviously..

Good Luck..

Hope this helps you out..

GPSMAD.

Quote Originally Posted by dapredator View Post
    Hi folks,

A while ago I purchased a cheap ($88) Chinese GPS from eBay, and noticed that it has an AV-IN port on the side (2.5mm socket) along with a headphone jack. The unit is black with an orange strip around the outside, and was not advertised as having AV in capabilities. Does anyone know if it is possible to get the AV-in working on these units, and if so, how? I have tried just plugging in a video source (using different pins), to no avail. Surching online has provided me with no results either.

It would be nice if I can get AV working on this unit, as then I can stick a reversing camera on my 4by

Pred.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gpsmad For This Useful Post:

xr6falcon (08-12-10)

Thanks

.. could you post up some screen shots of the Stock Menu for you unit..?

might help a bit.. also any info about about the OS, details in the Menu's "about" or "info" sections of the manu.

G.

Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gpsmad View Post
    HI there..

Ok.. been playing around for a bit lately with some 4.3" and 5.0" CN GPS units.. Video Quality is OK, but Not great as the LCD screens in the GPS unit are normally pretty cheap with Tight viewing angles, Low bit converters etc.

Anyways, AV IN Details for Most units I've played with is as Follows:

The Plug is a Standard 2.5mm 4 segment: probably source a molded one from ebay/ phone shop /ipod etc.. chop the lead, splice to camera cabling etc..

Connections are:

1 - Right Audio In (RED)
    2 - Left Audio In (WHITE or BLACK)
    3 - Video In (YELLOW)
    4 - Common Ground for ALL Input Lines

If the above Pin-out Doesn't work, Try connecting the Camera Output (or any Video Source really) to either pins 1,2 or 3 till it switches and You can See Video on the GPS LCD..

From 30 years of playing with AV stuff, You shouldn't really damage anything with a few seconds of Quick connection to confirm or deny you've got the right Pin ( or segment) on the 2.5mm plug.

Once the Unit Has a Video Signal connected to it ( and normally, no matter what is application or s/w is running on the GPS unit, ie. Nav, Games, Apps, the Win CE desktop, whatever...), It will switch to AV In Mode.. You'll get Video and Audio.. If the unit has a Thumb-wheel style Volume control on it use that to control Volume, If not, the Audio will eithr path thro at 100% volume or Maybe determined by current volume setting in s/w running, or Win CE Sound settings..

Finally, Obviously the Audio will sound pretty crappy and the L+R Channel are mixed as the unit only have One speaker internally, but "should" send L+R to the Earphone Jack (3.5mm) Audio Output.. most schematics I've seen feed the Stereo Audio thro to the Audio Output jack, via some amplification circuitry obviously..

Good Luck..

Hope this helps you out..

GPSMAD.
    Thanks GPSMad - I'm just about to take delivery of a 4 pin 2.5 AV plug so I can connect my 7" unit up to my rear view cam. Your diagram is very helpful. I initially got another 2.5mm AV in plug but it was the wrong type, it only had 3 segments and the video bit must have been in the wrong section. Anyway the 2.5mm AV plugs and cables are cheap enough so I ordered another one.

Regards Mike

Thanks

Finally got the 4 segment 2.5mm AV In Plug and cable .. Tried it out and it works a treat ... These are a couple of shots of the screen with the car in reverse...

And another one ...

Works automatically when reverse is selected and when you take the car out of reverse the screen returns to the Sat Nav program you were running such as Igo Primo etc.

Regards Mike

• 26-12-10, 02:23 AM

Reason
    Spam

Thanks

GPSMad,
    I have been trying to do pretty much what you outlined with a couple of the Chinese GPS from DealExtreme. No luck so far. I have been using the pin layout you suggest, amongst others. I note from some of the posts on the DealExtreme site, and elsewhere on here, that people who have got it to work have been using CE5.0 devices.
    Can you advise what the ones you were playing with were.
    Mine are both CE6.0, and I am starting to wonder if that is the issue.

Thanks in advance. I will also send this to XR6Falcon, as he seems to have got it to work also.

Cheers
    Kev Devlin