Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED downlights

Thanks

The LED lights that have a number of LED lights in them usually are more general light. mine are 80LED 4W leds that put out apox 40W of light.

Each led in the cluster is lower wattage.

Quote Originally Posted by rank1 View Post
    I just bought a couple of LED downlights to compare them to my halogens. I am very impressed with the light, I actually prefer it. The guy at the LED store said these were 48w as compared to my 50w halogens, so the drop in brightness is minimal. It is a much whiter/cooler light than my halogens so it actually appears to be brighter.
    Each unit only has 3 chips/diodes, which makes me wonder how one packed with diodes would go, I've seen units with 12 diodes in them before, but I guess that was a few years ago.

These units just plugged straight into my old Halogen mounts, did not have to remove the transformers or anything.

If anyone is interested I can post the details of where I got them from.
    I believe the wattage quoted is the light wattage of an equivilent bulb. EG. 1X9W LED (3x3W Diods) can output the equivilent to a 50W halogen. so what the manufacturer will do is give the Lumans of the bulb but give the aproxomate equil in Halogen and sometimes compact fluro.

going by what rank has said it sounds like they are from 6 to 9W LEDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Chee View Post
    Well obviously a 48W LED putting out the same light as a 50W halogen will not consume 48W.

Or put it another way. An LED consuming 48W will put out a helluva lot more light than a 50W halogen.
    PS i will also post better pictures of my LEDs soon

Regards

Thanks

Well obviously a 48W LED putting out the same light as a 50W halogen will not consume 48W.

Or put it another way. An LED consuming 48W will put out a helluva lot more light than a 50W halogen.
    what makes it a 48watt led then, now if your saying it has light equal to a 48watt halogen, then you are comparing light produced, that gets measured in lumens... not watts

heres clip to a 40watt laser canon test
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hfCVuYnT0Q&feature=related]YouTube - 40 Watt Laser Cannon test clip[/ame]

heres a 30watter cutting a hole
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyH5wF7H9cM&feature=related]YouTube - 30W Laser with a pigtail burning a hole with just 10W output[/ame]
    When I explained to the guy what avatar I wanted, that wasn't what I meant!

Thanks

heres a link to the most powerful LED i've heard of being used for lighting so far

Thanks

hey guys just read the thread about rat's.....i mean led's...lol

any way i realize its about led's but my boss has installed in his place 35w down-lights but not ordinary ones here is a link they save 33% of power and last longer......

my main point is that i could not tell the difference in light from a 50w to the 35w it was only that he told me he had them installed and when i looked close he was not lying, so from personal experiance great light output and you save power,,,,cost is another issue but i have contacted some of my wholesalers and have gotten them to as cheap as $6-$8 depending which one.....

cheers
    Alen

Thanks

ok, so you walk in to Big W or what ever shop of your choice and pick up a compact fluro light. lets say an 18W light. does it say aproxomate light output equil to 100W incandesant or light output aproxomately equil to 2100lm?

I am sure that it is said somewhare on the package the lm value of the bulb but is not standing out.

Think of it this way.

if a bulb A has 800lm output. can you picture it? think of how bright it would be in a room? of if i said 800lm bulb aprox light output equil to 25W on bulb B incandesant or halogen.

this does not say Light A uses 25W.

the ones i am using in my house by memory are about 650lm and i worked out that i needed 6 to get the light i was getting with a 100W incandesant in my living room.

The light is also more even across the room. no big shadows like there where before.

Mine are 4W each. and i have them all on one transformer. works well. i am very happy.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by iwacelect View Post
    what makes it a 48watt led then, now if your saying it has light equal to a 48watt halogen, then you are comparing light produced, that gets measured in lumens... not watts

heres clip to a 40watt laser canon test

heres a 30watter cutting a hole

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post
    ok, so you walk in to Big W or what ever shop of your choice and pick up a compact fluro light. lets say an 18W light. does it say aproxomate light output equil to 100W incandesant or light output aproxomately equil to 2100lm?
    my point exactly, bigW making it easier for the general public, as a simple way of geting the gen public to understand, you can also walk into a tandy/dicksmith and get advise, but i wouldn't!

as a tech i was questioning a "48 Watt led" being used for domestic light...OMG

it was also the power calculation, theres only 2 watts difference between that and a 50 watt halogen/ccfl/searchlight, the item doesn't matter...only power consumtion, thats all i'm refering to.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iwacelect View Post
    You're quite right, and I believe there was a push for lighting manufacturers to move towards W/lm (efficiency) rating being printed on the pack.

But average joe public doesn't know jack and so salespeople will still use "W" as a unit of light output.

Thanks

Also for the record. when ever i plan out the lighting in a room i work it out lm per m2 to give me a better representation of how bright the light will be in a room and how many Lights i need.

You're quite right, and I believe there was a push for lighting manufacturers to move towards W/lm (efficiency) rating being printed on the pack.

But average joe public doesn't know jack and so salespeople will still use "W" as a unit of light output.

Thanks

To Bazzy and others

I hope you are using approved electrical Devices and not some cheap nasty Chinese imports that has not passed Australian Standards.
    I would not even trust Bunnings, Australian lighting and others as they are known to sell rubbish and known to give bad advise by unqualified staff, Secondary I would recommend A licensed electrician to do the job as I have seen a lot of DYI people land in big trouble when things go wrong and the insurance companies decide not to pay out for damage caused by incompetence.

Do yor home work properly.

Thanks

I am licensed.

The downlights i get are direct from the manufacturer and are manufactured in australia.

Also i have seen some dodgy work done by some so called licenced electricians to, so there is no need to warn me about that.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by officemanager View Post
    To Bazzy and others

I hope you are using approved electrical Devices and not some cheap nasty Chinese imports that has not passed Australian Standards.
    I would not even trust Bunnings, Australian lighting and others as they are known to sell rubbish and known to give bad advise by unqualified staff, Secondary I would recommend A licensed electrician to do the job as I have seen a lot of DYI people land in big trouble when things go wrong and the insurance companies decide not to pay out for damage caused by incompetence.

Do yor home work properly.
    Last edited by bazzy; 08-05-10 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks

don't know if too late for this thread but Of course it is not putting out 48w it is saying it is equivalent to a 48W halogen but it is probably consuming a lot less power like I bought these recently from trim energy and they output only 9W of power pretty much same colour. should get an led tv now as well

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Anybody tried out these?

To my knowledge Australia does not produce LEDs, merely enclosures and fixtures for them.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

from my research, these 10W "brightgreen" leds are the way to go
    you really need to look at the lumen output to figure out how bright they actually are

The DR700 is an LED retrofit MR16 bulb with a total light output of 720 lumens, the same as the average 50W halogen according to the Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency. The difference is that the DR700 uses only 10.5 Watts.

DR700 works with all 12V transformers currently on the market and dims down to 0% of its original light output. Simply remove your existing MR16 halogen and replace it with the DR700.

not cheap but will pay themselves off over time

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12