Thread: Windows XP SP3 Error

Thanks

Default Windows XP SP3 Error

hey guys

i currently have windows xp with service pack 2 and i went to install the full version of service pack 3 but i keep getting an error saying "access is denied" "click ok to undo installation"

it happens half way through when its installing the new files

any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Look Here ->
    Thanks

There is an application that can be used this sort of problem "Solving setup errors by using the SubInACL tool to repair file and registry permissions"

Download

also

to save you making it below.

Source:

How to download and run SubInACL

Here are some steps that can be used to download and run the SubInACL tool to repair file and registry permissions that are often needed to successfully install programs on Windows, particularly for MSI-based (Windows Installer) setups:

1. Download the SubInACL tool and install it. By default it will install to c:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools
    2. Go to the Start menu, choose Run, type cmd and click OK
    3. Type notepad reset.cmd and click yes to create a new file named reset.cmd
    4. Copy and paste the following contents into reset.cmd and then save and close it (or download it from this location on my file server and rename it from reset.cmd.txt to reset.cmd):

cd /d "%programfiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    5. Type reset.cmd and press enter to run the SubInACL tool (you will need to have adminstrator privileges for this to run correctly). This tool will take several minutes to run
    6. After reset.cmd completes, try to install the product that previously failed to install correctly on your system

A quick search on suggests this works for your problem.

Thanks

thank you for the reply ssrattus, i did all of the above but the error came up again

Thanks

Try installing in SAFE mode or

There is a slightly different version on the microsoft forum I linked above.

1. Make a backup of your registry.

2. Download and install subinacl.exe.

3. Create a file called reset.cmd with Notepad. Copy the text below into the file reset.cmd and run reset.cmd with administrative rights (it may take a LONG time):

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %windir%*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

4. Reboot at SAFE MODE and try install SP3 again.

Thanks

Does anybody know where you can get SP3 as an EXE rather than running Windows Update ?

Thanks

It's not a full release yet... it's release candidate 2

See

and the download is WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe at the bottom for english. It's 315MB

Thanks

Also available

Thanks
    Thanked 2,800 Times in 974 Posts

Thanks for the link troyboy. I downloaded and installed it. Everything seems to be running fine and only time will tell.
    Some people need to get their finger out of their arse so that the brain can get some oxygen"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

i been running sp3 for awhile, only diff is u dont need 100mb updates from sp2
    considering the sp3 dl is 350mb, a 700mb version with sp3 slipped is the go.
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68