Thread: Two problems with my PS2s: CD tray a bit hard to slide out + Does not read DVDs

Thanks

Default Two problems with my PS2s: CD tray a bit hard to slide out + Does not read DVDs

I've got two PS2s and each one has a problem:

1) The first PS2 (original phat one) has developed a small problem where I press the eject disc button and because the CD tray seems like it is not aligned properly, I have to press the button a few times for the CD tray to slide out. Alternatively, I press the button and just pull the CD tray out with my own fingers. This happened after I accidentally hit the CD tray while it was still out and it had these problems since then.

Is this easy to fix and how? My Xbox (original phat) has the same problem, check .

2) My second PS2 (original phat one again) can play CD-based games without a problem but does not respond when I put in a PS2 DVD game. It just stays on the main balls of light screen. I used to be able to play PS1 CDs and PS2 CDs/DVDs without a problem and I have no idea why it stopped playing PS2 DVDs. In case it matters, this PS2 has not been modified in any way.

Is this easy to fix and how? I think it's a laser alignment issue or something because the body of the PS2 console has been accidentally knocked around a few times.
    Last edited by layz33; 01-04-10 at 10:23 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

first ps2 ,
    take the top off , take the top off the dvd drive .
    you will see the tray
    now with the machine facing you you will see two small screws on the side of the tray , take these out ,then slide the tray all the way out of the machine , replace the tray , makesure it goes all the way back , put back together and it should be fine .
    try cleaning the laser lens off the paht ps2 , but if it has stopped reading dvd but still reading cd , then more than likely the laser is stuffed

As far as your xbo goes replace the drive bands , some may say to use belt grip spray , but that is a bandaid solution at best

Thanks

Thanks for the tips. Just wondering, does PS2 laser lens cleaning require any specific special tools or anything, what should I use? I'm not too familar with opening up consoles but I might have to do it.

Thanks

Philips screwdriver, cotton bud & some isoprpyl should do the job. just be careful with the cotton bud as they can be abrasive.
    PrecisionMods