Thread: AussieBroadBand (Satelitte) sold.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default AussieBroadBand (Satelitte) sold.

I have just received and email from ABB that from the 1st of May ABB will transfer all current Satelitte customers (IPSTAR) to SKYMESH.

Wireless and ADSL customers are not affected by this proposal.
    Makes me wonder if they have had enough of the problems experienced with the Satelitte service over the last few months and decided to get out.

I have noticed a marked improvement to the service over the last 4 weeks but I had one droput within the last hour.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

The change won't alter the amount of traffic on the satellite no matter who your ISP is.

I've been put on a different transponder, made no difference.

Been told that the uplink voltage from my modem was too high, and an overnight download from Ipstar to the modem would correct this.

Made no difference.

If anyone can tell me of a satellite service provider that can offer the reliability of dialup I'll sign up straight way.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

What is an 'Upload' voltage ?? it s a bloody TRANSMITTER that possibly has a variable RF output that according to ABB, they could control from their end.
    They decided to send me an Attenuator (10db) as they thought I might be getting too much signal from the Satelitte and it was 'over driving' the receiver.
    It did know the signal back from 100 to 76 but that was late last year before it REALLY went ballistic.
    As none of the 8 companies I know of who sell IPSTAR have anything to do with the actual transmission/Reception of the signal, the fault is somewhere in the IPSTAR camp itself.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

G'day fellow long suffering IPSTAR customers.

Yes, I rang AussieBB when I got my email re the sale... the guy kind of admitted that it was consuming way more effort than the rest of their business.

My service is somewhat improved after being put onto a 'clear channel'.

Apparently, the problem is that normally one is on a 'shared channel' and with the current iCON firmware if anyone is logged out, then all others on the same channel are logged out. Thus if I had multiple power failures causing my iCON terminal to log out, then all those sharing my channel would be inconvenienced. The interim solution is to allocate a dedicated 'clear channel' to the worst affected customers. However, these 'clear channel' have greater latency which results in an increase in timeout problems with some web sites.

The solution to replace the interim one is new firmware. Apparently new iCON firmware is being developed that avoids logging out others on shared channels. When this is released, it is hoped the 'log off' problem will be fixed and when those on 'clear channels' are returned to 'shared channels' their latency will be reduced to normal!

I've checked other providers using IPSTAR platform and my best option is to 'go with the flow' to SkyMesh.

cheers