Thread: To spa, or not to spa ...? That is the question.

Thanks

Default To spa, or not to spa ...? That is the question.

Hi all

Been tossing up this question for a few years now. Originally thought about a pool, but decided we didn't want something that permanent (or expensive).

Recently we have been researching buying a decent size spa, so thought I would ask fellow austechers. Specifically, looking at one for family entertainment, perhaps with the TV/DVD player, etc.

Would love to hear the pros and cons from anyone who owns, or has owned a spa. Any tips and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    AussieM8

Look Here ->
    Thanks

We've got one in the bathroom, had it for a few years now and its been used probably about less than half a dozen times....

I personally regret wanting to get it now, its a bit of waste in my opinion. Id go the pool if I could go back(and had the space for one)

Your family maybe different though.

Thanks

Yeah, not talking about a spa bath more of the hot-tub variety that sits outdoors with a hard cover, seating 6-8 people.

Thanks for the prompt reply though.

Thanks

It's a good thing to have compare to the pool. Much easier to run and maintain. The problem is after 5-6 years it's kinda getting boring. Also be ready for a nusty energy bills in your mail box.

Thanks

My brother has connected his to a slow combustion stove to reduce heating costs and is looking at using some solar hotwater panels for summer use.

Thanks

there are swim spas, but if you dont want permanent forget them

Thanks

I have one, but it was in the house when we bought it. I've used it once and would never have one if I built my own place. I don't know what all the fuss is about really...didn't do a lot for me. Uses too much water and I assume it will overload most septic and water treatment systems (ours is plumbed to an old redundant septic tank).

I personally would prefer the extra space in the bathroom and if we stay here long term, I will renovate this room and pull it out - keep an eye on eBay.

I don't think they do much for the value of your property either...people have moved on I think.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

I put in an outdoor spa about 15 years ago.
    There are some great spa shells out there in all shapes and sizes.
    You have to ask yourself whether you just want room for yourself and the missus or have the option of more people. Some spa shells might look big but have really only two recliners shaped in and don't really allow for additional users.
    Mine's just an old circular spa with max seating for 4.
    There's nothing more relaxing than a good spa.
    You need a good air blower (get the most powerful one you can get as this gives the best massage action). Mount this as far away from the spa as you can (but above the waterline!) so you don't listen to the howl of the motor.
    A spa has to be hot. I've been in that many spas that just are not hot enough. Look for a temp of at least around body temp or slightly higher (37 ° - 40° C).
    This brings me upon the heater, most if not all portable spa's you buy nowadays are electrically heated and usually havce the heating element built-in to the pump.
    They take ages to heat and really need the insulation blanket cover to stop heatloss.
    With these you really need to keep them heated to a certain temp all the time (more running costs) and then boost before you decide to have a spa. This temp boost can still take ages.
    That's why the best way in my eyes is to go for gas heating.
    We can decide to have a spa turn the heater on and half an hour later enjoy. Try that with electric.
    Blowers, lights and pump are usually switched via air switches built-in to the edge of the spa shell.
    I'd spend less than $50 per year on chemicals to run this thing just using a floating dispenser filled with bromide tablets.
    You'll also only need to run the pump (filter) about 1 or 2 hours a day max.
    Just remember you're bound by the same laws as to pool fencing.
    This is my sanctuary with patented cover >

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

A coating of reflective foil paper inside that dish and the right angle should make a pretty good solar heater.

Who said you were a big Weirdo, you just think at a higher level.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

weirdo (11-04-10)

Thanks

Spa do it.. But go gas.
    Heating times with electrics are very slow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to phatass For This Useful Post:

weirdo (11-04-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    A coating of reflective foil paper inside that dish and the right angle should make a pretty good solar heater.

Who said you were a big Weirdo, you just think at a higher level.
    Originally it did have a vinyl cover over it fixed with press studs. To keep it raised and stop rain water puddling on top I had to put an inner tube of a truck tyre under it (floating on the water).
    The downside with the vynil cover was that the spa wouldn't breathe and smelled too strong of chemicals. So I had to sacrifice a dish.

Thanks

Thanks for the info everyone, especially Weirdo's long post.

Are they easy to convert to gas? The one we are looking at is an 'above ground' model and is sold as electric.

Also, are they OK to cool off in the summer (ie. temp turned down/off)?

One of my major concerns is whether the novelty will wear off (like fromaron stated).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AussieM8 View Post

Are they easy to convert to gas? The one we are looking at is an 'above ground' model and is sold as electric.

Also, are they OK to cool off in the summer (ie. temp turned down/off)?

One of my major concerns is whether the novelty will wear off (like fromaron stated).
    The most expensive exercise with converting to gas is the thermostat arrangement.
    They are good for cooling down aswell.
    The better the blower/pump/jet combo the better the experience.
    The better the experience the less likely it will 'wear off'.
    Advantage of the above ground units is you can easily sell em when you get sick of them. You see quite a few of these for sale simply because they are portable and in my eyes a lot of these package budget units don't give you the best experience.

Thanks

I would go a 25 metre pool.

useful for fire fighting as well.
    It's a pleasant change to be in a country that isn't ruled by its people.
    Prince Philip
    To Alfredo Stroessner, the Paraguayan dictator

Thanks

Thought I would report back ...

We decided to order one from Blue Haven (and wasn't that a mistake). After paying a deposit and waiting a while, we received a call to advise that the spa we ordered had lot's of maintenance issues and they didn't want to supply it. They gave us a couple of more expensive alternatives (which had a less features) and said they would do it for the same price. After lot's of stressful phone calls, we got cold feet and decided not to proceed and asked for the deposit back.

We are now talking to a local company who sell 100% Australian made products and service their own spas.