Thread: CAM into PC's PCMCIA slot?

Thanks

Default CAM into PC's PCMCIA slot?

Gday,

Probably a useless thread, but I have read about updating CAM firmware in certain PCMCIA slots in laptops. I have 4 PCI - PCMCIA adapters for desktop pc's and would like to know if there is any software that may allow me to read details (firmware version etc) from a CAM I have sitting around. Even less probable - are you able to use them as a CAM/CARD reader in conjunction with DVB-S software instead of using a smart card reader...

Thanks,

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I don't know of anything. I enquired as to whether a PCMCIA 'phoenix' reader was available a long time ago that would simulate a com port then an external serial (or usb) reader wouldn't be required.
    I've updated some cam firmware via pcmcia slot on a few cams but found it to be very laptop specific.
    I also tried with a programmer called a Giga programmer to read them etc and no go. But maybe I just don't no what I'm doing!

Cheers,
    Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

the manual of the duolabs cas3 programmer says it can emulate a DVB PCMCIA CI slot and run a cam from a PC as if it was inserted into a DVB Box CI slot...

Thanks

if you can get the laptop(or the PC) to recognize the CAM( have a driver or INF file for it) then the rest should be sweet.
    off my memory, they only work with windows 98.
    haven't tried any in years though.
    cheers
    "People who love sausage and people who believe in justice should never watch either of them being made" Otto Bismark

Thanks

Thanks... I have a Irdeto cam but no card for it - guess I should still be able to test it tho.. The PCI-PCMCIA cards I have will run under W98SE up (with the OS installed drivers).. I am trying to get another bank acc setup next week - if it all works is anyone interested?? hehe...