Thread: Tuning your car with Pro Scan and cable

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Tuning your car with Pro Scan and cable

Anyone do this themselves ? I have a copy of the Pro Scan software and was thinking about buying a cable off ebay

I have noticed my Z3 2.8 6 cyl is using more fuel than usual....9.5 litres per 100/kms when it usually uses 9.1 so was thinking about some tinkering. But the question is , is there any damage you can do ? From what I am reading if you make a backup first you are pretty much right ?

BTW , if you are a Premium Member there is a full version of Pro Scan in the premium members forum.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Nothing wrong with DIY however balls it up and you will be selling your soul to your local BMW dealership.

Why do you want to retrieve fault codes, do you have a problem?

Do you want it to reset your service light? Ive heard there is a pin that you ground at the service port to do that on BMW's.

Im unsure if your standard ecu is reprogammable, most cars ive seen have the chip replaced or a programmable piggy back unit.

Id just drop some new plugs in, change filters and oil and Bobs your uncle.

Some smart arses just throw black tape over the service light
    Last edited by Godzilla; 19-04-10 at 12:57 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Here's a bit more info about what it allows you to do.

Yes , if it can reset service lights I would use it for that as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Its a nice diagnostic tool to retrieve service codes if you have a problem.

A little sale lines in there like generating performance stats.

Without a dyno its just taking educated guesses of your performance. (esimated)

Its not a real tuning tool unless you can make adjustments inside your ECU, it is capable of telling you your running rich for example by checking your O2 sensors readings but you cannot do more than change your O2 sensor, plugs and check your fuel system to fix it.

If your ECU is not programmable you cannot alter your fuel injectors duty time to lean it out.

As i said a nice diagnostics tool but to make it a real tuning tool you need a reprogrammable ECU.

Im currently using a Power FC with hand controller to control my engine and to move my settings around while driving.

You can pull all codes, monitor all the sensors and adjust things but you need a programmable ECU to do that.

The software your looking at is full of gadgets that make calculated guesses, however under all the polish its just a standard ecu monitor to retrieve fault codes and sensor readings.

You could save a packed googleing which pin you need to earth to reset your service light.

All workshops use a ECU reader to pull codes and do service resets, very few however tune with one.