Thread: CS serial port 'handshaking' requirements?

Thanks

Default CS serial port 'handshaking' requirements?

I have developed a WRT54GL CS server running openWRT with appropriate serial port H/W mods which I would like to share with others

Unfortunately the standard serial driver does not support H/W flow control.

It is possible to do a further mod to the 54gl implementing a CTS – partial flow control – using one of the GPIOs and writing an additional kernel load driver.

My question is whether there are any phoenix type interfaces which work fine without H/W low control?

If so which?

If not – what H/W flow control requirement is necessary for reliable operation with a phoenix interface?

Using a device such as a 54gl is great – its quiet, low power and provides a complete ‘stand alone’ card server for < $80 – much better than dedicated PC.

EDIT: I've just noticed a thread referencing a BF430 device being used for CS. The BF430 function (as used in the CS) can easily be implemented with the above WRT54GL mod / software.

For those of you who are familiar with openWRT - we simply use the ser2net module and remap the serial port to a TCP/IP port. This works well. BUT there will not be any H/W flow control (as it stands).

In the thread referencing the BF430 - there is a link - - which details a 'how-to' in configuring the BF430 - which some members are using successfully for CS.

In the set-up it shows the serial port set-up and the flow control parameters are set to NONE.

Well this answers my previous question on the requirement of H/W flow control

Can someone who IS using the BF430 confirm that the device can be used successfully with a phoenix interface without flow control?

Any feedback on this would be most welcome
    Last edited by eyesee; 21-03-08 at 05:14 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyesee View Post
    I have developed a WRT54GL CS server running openWRT with appropriate serial port H/W mods which I would like to share with others

Unfortunately the standard serial driver does not support H/W flow control.

It is possible to do a further mod to the 54gl implementing a CTS – partial flow control – using one of the GPIOs and writing an additional kernel load driver.

My question is whether there are any phoenix type interfaces which work fine without H/W low control?

If so which?

If not – what H/W flow control requirement is necessary for reliable operation with a phoenix interface?

Using a device such as a 54gl is great – its quiet, low power and provides a complete ‘stand alone’ card server for < $80 – much better than dedicated PC.

Great work ..

Thanks

here is my bf430 setup, now this is with the unit in realcom mode.

Thanks

hey ...

Thanks for the info ...

... sounds great - I guess since you are actually using the device this must be working without flow control ...

... you mention the unit is in 'realcom' mode ... can you eleborate on this?

Is the physical DB9 plug / cable connecting to your phoenix using any CTS / RTS signals? If these signals are NOT being used by the BF430 - then this should work without any flow control. I am just worried that the BF430 does in fact use H/W flow control on a low level interface layer - but the software does not need it. My mod on the WRT54GL physically has no H/W flow control.

Anyway - best thing is to try it out.

I am in the process of doing this - soon (awaiting appropriate smartcard for the phoenix) - when fully tested - will post results ...

Thanks

realcom mode is used to transparantly pass signal levels of control lines.

The line causing you grief will be the DCD line. (pin 1.)

It has been used as the defacto card reset line.

You will need to tranparently pass that control line whilst emulating no protocol conditions.
    It's a contradiction of terms no flow control, but monitor the dcd line........

Thanks

This thread should be in technical and develeopment, not dreambox.

Thanks

... thanks ...

... the saga unfolds ...

I though there might be some 'hidden' leyer whereby there is some H/W control ...

Your explanation just nailed it!

Looks like I will need to implement a GPIO function for the 54gl - this can be done and should work ...

A little more work than expected - but what the heck - its all good fun

EDIT: Moderators - please move thread to appropriate section - sorry it is a technical subject - but was linked to DB serial port (pun not intended)
    Last edited by eyesee; 21-03-08 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Moderator - please feel free to move thread to appropriate section

Thanks

I am sure you will end up with a great solution.

Bear in mind there are other implementations of the wrt54 and i am sure you are aware of them.

The one single biggest issue in Aus is pixelation and lack of grunt by the unit.

Do as much cacheing as you can, cause it will need it I suspect.