Thread: How to get Foxtel on multiple TV's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default How to get Foxtel on multiple TV's

Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you can help me out.

I have Foxtel, I think it's the SD version (the grey/silver box with the hard drive/recording functionality).

I've been reading the forums a bit and it seems that it is possible to share out a single Foxtel connection to multiple TV's. Unfortunately I did not find any in depth tutorials on how to get this working.

I know that I may need to purchase a "dreambox" or whatever that is.

Can somebody please either explain how to get this working (for the cheapest amount possible obviously), I would greatly appreciate it.

• Also, where do I get my hands onto one of these boxes?
    • How much do they cost?
    • Will I need Foxtel to give me another SIM card?

My current setup at home is as follows:

I have the Foxtel box in the lounge room. I have a living room which I also want to get Foxtel to. The living room is where my HTPC is with no TV tuner. Living room is also where my router and cable modem is. The Foxtel box in the lounge room is connected via a telephone cable. Foxtel is letting me trial a second box in the living room which is connected via a cable connection. I was hoping to leverage this cable connection.

Thanks a lot guys in advance.

2. Look Here ->
    Thanks

Cheapest box w/ cable tuner= dm500C (c indicating cable tuner), sub $200AUD/ea. You will find sellers in the sat forums or they occasionally pop up on eBay. You will need one dm to act as server which will take your current fox card (what colour is it? and it's not a SIM btw). The server will act as a tuner to itself, so you will be able to watch TV with it. Room 1 solved. Each additional room will require it's own box, and will be in client mode pulling ch data from the card in server room. Each box will need a unique IP within your LAN, and networked accordingly. Your existing foxtel box (property of fox) has no use in this scenario/setup and cannot communicate with the dm's. So, if multiroom is +$15/mo. you may be better off sticking w/legit over splashing several hundred toward boxes, etc. Bear in mind too, this is not straight forward.. you will spend many hours learning the boxes, telneting, ftp, custom cfg work, the list goes on. If you are already familiar with linux, even better. As quick point of mention, it is possible to use a dm500 to record programming (not always flawlessly) over LAN to a mounted pc hdd but you will effectively lose this feature by retiring the legit fox box.

Thanks

"I smell shenanigans"

Roger the Alien

Banned
    Thanks

for $12 or $15 a month you get another box in another room.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

RF back channel is easy and cheap to do. If it is a first generation IQ it has a modulated RF output on channel 41 which needs to be bumped a little by a mini amp to feedback through your existing antenna system. BTW you can change the RF output frequency through the setup menu. If it is the newer IQ1 there is no RF out and a modulator or old VCR could be used.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Thanks

Mate

Resilinx, LOcal product. It will distribute HD over 2 cat 5 cables. The box only costs about $250.00.

It is by far the best solution for HD video distribution for upto 4 other rooms.