Thread: map network drive security

Thanks

Default map network drive security

Not sure if this is a security question or networking question, i think its both.

I have a client who has windows server 2008 standard with file services activated.

There are 5 computers that are map networked to a folder on the C Drive, i have created 5 login accounts with password on the server,

3 computers can login to map network drive using there username and password, these details are different to the local login and password, none of the local computers have login passwords, they dont want them to have any.

OK so 3 of the computers can connect to the server using the login details on the server

The other 2 however when i connect using theres, as soon as the computer restarts it requires the password for map network drive, however if i connect as the guest account it stays connected. The main issue with that is 1 of the accounts is the owner and the other is a staff member, they want restrictions on what the staff member can open so i cant have them both login as guest. any suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be much appreciated. Thank you

client computers are running vista home premium with sp2
    Last edited by cybertech; 22-04-10 at 03:25 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

anyone?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

I have only used Server 2003,

Have you set up NTFS permissions for each user ?

this will allow each user only the permissions you want them to have,

I think it is Read, Write, Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Modify, & Full Control.

You will also have to give full security access to the folder to the users you want to access it,

You only allow the users, what you want them to be able to do,

Are the users in different Groups ?

the other option you have is to set up some Group policy's

(but as I said I'm not experienced with Server 2008, so could be leading you astray)

Good Luck
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cybertech View Post
    Not sure if this is a security question or networking question, i think its both.

I have a client who has windows server 2008 standard with file services activated.

There are 5 computers that are map networked to a folder on the C Drive, i have created 5 login accounts with password on the server,

3 computers can login to map network drive using there username and password, these details are different to the local login and password, none of the local computers have login passwords, they dont want them to have any.

OK so 3 of the computers can connect to the server using the login details on the server

The other 2 however when i connect using theres, as soon as the computer restarts it requires the password for map network drive, however if i connect as the guest account it stays connected. The main issue with that is 1 of the accounts is the owner and the other is a staff member, they want restrictions on what the staff member can open so i cant have them both login as guest. any suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be much appreciated. Thank you

client computers are running vista home premium with sp2
    I realise that it involves a bit of research, but there is plenty of information on the internet regarding setting up users on a Windows Server 2008 system.

Several that spring to mind are:-

1/. The Petri IT Knowledge-base at

2/. The Technical Resources section of the Microsoft Server 2008 website at

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, but all were missing my question. I can browse the server fine, connect to the folder fine. But when i map network the drive it is connecting using the guest account not the credentials i have choosen, when i specify the credentials they have to re-enter it in everytime.

but i have resolved the issue by.

Creating the windows profile of client pc to be same name as profile on server. I then added the windows password to account. Then went to control userpasswords2 and let it login automatically.

now it map network connects using the correct account rather then guest account

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Out of curiousity, why haven't you disabled the guest account?