Thread: changing phone companies and need internet as well

Thanks

Default changing phone companies and need internet as well

Hi all,

I’ve got a business which consists of one phone line.

I really need internet because of the software we are using so im looking around for a company which has phone line and ADSL bundled up.

I called Telstra and they are a rip off. I tried iinet which seem fairly good but was wondering if there are any others out there who don’t charge a line rental. Iinets line rental is $29.95 per month.

Is there any way I can sign up with a phone/internet company and not have to pay the phone line rental?

Most importantly, I MUST be able to keep the same phone number.

id consider voip but im not sure i'll be able to keep the same number.

At the moment, we are with a phone company called NBTelecom and their call rates an absolute rip off.

Any help much appreciated.

Slick1

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Everyone charges line rental because thats what Telstra charges to anyone reselling phone services.

The cheapest you can get is Telstra Homeline Budget for around $20 a month and then sign up with a voip provider. But as with every provider , the cheaper the line rental, the higher the call costs. If you dont use voip you will have expensive call rates.

Some ISP will offer you cheaper ADSL if you sign up for them forphone services like

Thanks

Thanks for your reply Sanity.

Question about the line rental. At my home, we used to pay line rental when we were with Telstra, then we got an OPTus rep come to our door and asked if we wanted to swap over and blah blah blah. He said that there is no line rental involved.

How do they work that out?

Administrator
    Thanks

Just add it in to the cost.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Just add it in to the cost.
    and they can still do it cheaper than Telstra..... go figure...

Administrator
    Thanks

$29.95 is the cheapest home phone plan that I could find on the Optus website.

Thanks

i called optus and they said that they couldn't transfer the number over to them.

Thats no good to me.

Administrator
    Thanks

You may have to transfer back to Telstra before transferring anywhere else.

Thanks

TPG have a $1 line rental but it only applies on certain exchanges... They allow you to port your number too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    You may have to transfer back to Telstra before transferring anywhere else.
    yeh thats what i have to do.. Transfer back to telstra and then over to optus or whatever company i choose.

Thanks
    Slick1

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Many people forget that unless your in an area serviced by other companies like Optus/AAPT who have their own physical network, your using Telstra lines but being billed by the other company.
    I gather in some exchanges companies like Optus/Dodo and others install their own equipment but use Telstra lines to the customer.
    It never ceases to amaze me how business's like Telstra can afford to sell as do gas and electricity providers to an On Seller at a lower rate that they can make a profit on but Telstra charge their own customers higher rates.
    I did think you could keep a current number if you transfered company to company so I think I would be asking the Telephone Regulator about that if it was really important to keep it.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

HTML Code:
    The cheapest you can get is Telstra Homeline Budget for around $20 a month
    With Homeline budget, you supposedly agree "HomeLine® Budget customers agree not to acquire services from other carriage service providers by dialing their access override code and must not acquire a broadband service from another service provider which is provided using line sharing technology. "

Does anyone know if they actually enforce this?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Like all Rules,Laws,Regulations or CONTRACTS untill you or the other party breach that arrangement, you wont know.
    Its a bit like playing Russian Roulette with an empty Gun, untill you load a chamber the risk doesnt apply.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by autotuner View Post
    HTML Code:
    The cheapest you can get is Telstra Homeline Budget for around $20 a month
    With Homeline budget, you supposedly agree "HomeLine® Budget customers agree not to acquire services from other carriage service providers by dialing their access override code and must not acquire a broadband service from another service provider which is provided using line sharing technology. "

Does anyone know if they actually enforce this?
    Dunno , I have it and use Voip.

Thanks

Although slightly different I went Naked DSL and could port my number over (well I'm in the process of doing it). I did this with Exetel with a lot of help from Warbo from the forum. Hes a great guy and is really helpful. Any questions he'll go out of his way. Wouldn't hurt. Great rates too with Exetel
    Last edited by acejas; 28-04-10 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks

Well i just managed to swap my phone back to telstra on a month to month contract so i'll be looking to swap over to optus. i was going to go with telstra for broadband but they wanted me to sign up for 24 month contract. No chance..

any other good ISP providers. I was considering to go with OPtus once i swapped over phone lines but there may be better deals out there.

This was what i had to do to be able to keep the current number.

Optus seem to have good phone plans. i

Thanks

Hia,

Check out Trinity Telecom for your phone provider, the basic package costs $25 a month line rental, but local calls cost 12c each, STD calls are about 10c a minute (capped at $1.98 for an hour), and mobiles are 22c a minute (capped at $1.50 for 15 minutes). They have another package which costs $35 a month line rental with cheaper call costs, and their top package costs $55 a month for all unlimited & untimed local and STD calls.

Oh, they run on Telstra line and you can keep your number, too

I've just sent through a churn order to them and I've just churned to Mediamesh ISP on an $89 a month unlimited ADSL2 account. They're only a new company and are having some slight teething problems, but I'm pretty happy knowing that I'll be never be paying more than $90 a month for my internet.

Just some ideas for you to check out, good luck.
    Last edited by kunsan; 02-05-10 at 04:07 AM.

Thanks

Optus now has $99 unlimited high speed and interent and unlimited phone calls to standard and national numbers and mobile's, includes rental, if i was recently looked to Iprimus i would be on it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz808 View Post
    Optus now has $99 unlimited high speed and interent and unlimited phone calls to standard and national numbers and mobile's, includes rental, if i was recently looked to Iprimus i would be on it
    Looks good, but there's always a catch, here, especially with the ADSL2, the ADSL2 speeds cap @ 15GB and then shape to 256kbps, it also counts uploads into the data allowance, so yes.. it is unlimited, but shaped.

Quote Originally Posted by Optus T&C
    ~Exclusions apply. Not to be used for commercial purposes. Optus Local and Long Distance Fair Go™ policy applies. 2. Minimum total cost over 24 months is $6,790.95 ($99 'yes' Fusion Plan, plus 2 'yes' Family $49 Cap plans plus 1 $30 recharge on Turbo Cap). Payment by direct debit, includes $19.95 modem delivery fee and $99 connection fee. Excludes optional handset and Pre-Paid charges. # Excess usage does not apply. Unlimited Broadband unthrottled up to 15GB, then the service will be speed limited to 256kbps. Usage means monthly combined uploads and downloads, 1GB = 1000 MB. 4. New Optus Broadband customers only. A $19.95 equipment delivery fee will apply but if you move to a plan lower than the ‘yes’ Fusion plan $99 or cancel your service within 3 months of commencing your plan, you will incur a $140 hardware fee. **If you exceed your plan's "Optus2AnyOne Value" or "Optus2Optus Value" in any one billing period, standard rates of your plan will apply. "Optus2Optus Value" may only be accessed after "Optus2AnyOne Value" used up. *After this limit is reached, calls/text will be charged at applicable plan rates for the remainder of the month ^Turbo Cap: $30 = $300 included Value. $30 Cap includes $30 MyCredit, plus $120 MyBonus plus $150 Pre-Paid Messaging Money. All credits expire within 30 days. Exclusions apply to MyBonus & Pre-Paid Messaging Money.

MyBonus excludes premium SMS & content, Zoo content usage charges, Instant Messenger, video calling, 966 and satellite calls. Pre-Paid Messaging Money can be used to text/MMS any Optus/Boost Pre-Paid Mobile within Australia. General: Cancellation fees apply. Optus Cable broadband only available to selected homes in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. Optus Services not available in all areas, including NT and TAS.
    Last edited by kunsan; 02-05-10 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks

Thats sucks 15gig, then 256kbps TPG 130gig then throttle to 1500kbps, but thats internet only