Thread: Vista antispyware 2010

Thanks

Default Vista antispyware 2010

Had a visit from my brother yesterday, and he brought along his infected laptop. Apparently he inadvertedly downloaded this virus known as Vista Antispyware 2010, which looks like a genuine MS / Vista product and he automatically scans your HDD and tells you that you have numerous security breaches then it asks you to activate their AV package to remove the problems.

The virus of course prevents you connecting to the net and if you do, it stops you clicking on any downloads.

A quick google on this mongrel will reveal heaps of cases of this infestation and solutions to the problem. I used a few but this one worked well

Basically you need to change your registry then use one of the virus removers like Malwarebytes to dig this mongrel out.

Some sites have reported that the virus can return as it embeds itself somewhere pretty deep.

Managed to clean the Bro's lappy and have rescanned several times with other useful products.

Thanks again to Phillquad for providing links in another thread

EDIT

Obviously similar /same virus as the XP antivirus bug that supermega had in a previous thread.
    Last edited by myf360f1; 25-04-10 at 09:08 AM.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I saw it on a mates sisters machine last year.

Annoying ####er isnt it ? The people that invent these things should be shot.

Thanks

It is always safer to format with this virus. I agree it can be removed but there is always many registry keys that become infected.

Needs to be a slow format as a change to partiton table just doesn't cut it

Regards

Extradry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    I saw it on a mates sisters machine last year.

Annoying ####er isnt it ? The people that invent these things should be shot.

Absolutely, it prevented me from doing repairs, but I got there in the end, VERY FRUSTRATING.

Extradry, I have since read that its a bit hit and miss with this virus, it has returned on some infected PC, so I advised my brother that if it reappears its format time. There are heaps of articles in google on this and some say that MB can get and remove it but its not foolproof.

At least he can now back up his data which he has never done before but now realises how inmportant that is...........DOH

• The Following User Says Thank You to myf360f1 For This Useful Post:

Extradry (26-04-10)