Thread: Is this enough for basic gaming?

Thanks

Default Is this enough for basic gaming?

I've been running a htpc for a while which is pretty basic and want to start getting back into games. I will be buying parts to build a high end gaming rig over the next few months but want to try start now. System is a 3800+ x2 a64, rs200 ati mobo, 2x512mb at the moment (getting 2x1gb pc3500), ati hd3850 and a 46" sony bravia lcd. I'm just hoping to at least be able to play native HD resolution (1920x1080) even at the lowest settings. I can play HL2 at the moment fairly well but CSS and TF2 seems to lock the pc up at the menu. I'm pretty sure the 1gb of ram and windows vista is the biggest thing holding me back, which the 2gb will help a lot. Any other options for cheap upgrades, was thinking of maybe getting a 4400+ which is a slight upgrade but apart from that I can't really go anywhere further with the current setup I have.
    Last edited by Endlesswant; 03-05-10 at 04:12 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

your best bet would be to create a new partition and install xp, and then use xp to run the games simply because vista is a resource hog. An extra GB of ram will do it the world of wonders aswell but not sure if you will be able to run at native res (especially if thats not a typo). Basically it will run some game's but doubt you will be able to run at full grafics and could be laggy, not up to date with the gpu you have but being a 3 id say its getting on which means you wont be able to play the latest games because your gpu wont take some of the software(eg pixel shaders). All i can say is try it.But the 4400 should fix that.
    With your pc locking up try a program called gamebooster, it will free up alot of your pc and ram, i get almost an extra 2GB(i have 6) of ram using it.
    Stop being so stupid.. it’s my turn!!

Thanks

Well hl2 runs at that resolution fairly well but I can't even get into a game of css or tf2 at all which is just annoying. I can tell at the moment it's more of a ram/vista problem because it takes a fair while for things to load between scenes on hl2 and it hangs a bit after loading a new scene plus it's using page file . The card is a dx10.1 card 512mb 256bit pretty basic in now days standards I would guess, only reason I bought it was because it was cheap and I wanted hdmi (mainly for htpc) bought it yrs ago I think.
    When I upgrade I will probably just get a q6600, 4gb ddr3, hd5770 something reasonably budget orientated.
    Edit: Lol oops found the typo meant 1920x1080, fixed the op too
    Last edited by Endlesswant; 03-05-10 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks

Well if its a dx10 card it should be ok,1st i would try gamebooster and see if u can get css or tf2 to load, if not im sure the xp and an extra GB of ram will do the trick, But when you get your new system you will be impressed.

Thanks

Would I be better off putting a hd 5570 into my mother's computer which is a am2 x2 3800+ with 2gb ddr2 and runs winxp instead?

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply. But yes you would be better off doing that.

Thanks

I am really confused in the css frames rate test at 1920x1080 I get a average of 159fps which is more then enough for smooth gaming. So I log onto a server with maybe 50ms of lag and everything is up the shit. Games jumpy then eventually just boots me, guess there's something else wrong with my system .

Thanks

Does it run smooth in single player???
    What is your Internet speed.??
    make sure there is no malware or spyware. Malwarebytes or even ad-aware should fix this.
    What is your "ping"in game. anything over around the 250-300 ms range you will usually be kicked.Try and make sure your on an aussie server (if your in Australia) gamearena or internode usually have servers for most games( there will be many more).

Thanks

get console .. 360 or ps3 ... way better .. no issues ..no installing ... just insert and play !
    Trust thyself only, and another shall not betray thee.

http://s18.postimage.org/h9xu3rrhx/fb_sevapers.jpg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
    get console .. 360 or ps3 ... way better .. no issues ..no installing ... just insert and play !
    Already got a xbox 360 always prefered pc games anyway, Stick suck for fps lol.

Eh I gave up on this system for gaming lol, just going to start buying my new system, i7 930, scythe mini ninja, dfi lanparty jr x58-t3h6, sapphire hd5970 4gb toxic oc, gtx 260 for physx card, crucial ballistix tri channel pc3 1600 6gb, m12d seasonic 850w modular psu, antec fusion black case, intel x25-m 160gb ssd.