Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DM500s aspect ratio switching problem on wide screen TV

Thanks

Default DM500s aspect ratio switching problem on wide screen TV

DB500s with (latest gemini) does not switch the WSS - even when manually changing the settings in the A/V menu from 16:9 to 4:3 - there is no changes in the display aspect ratio

Can someone confirm is this is a known H/W problem or an issue with gemini image?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

You will have to change the tv's aspect ratio in its menu along with the dreambox's for it to change.

Thanks

thank's for the 'tip' - but that's already been done ...

... irrespective of this - there appears to be NO visula changes when the DB's A/V settings are changed ... strange?

Thanks

I have had that problem for sometime. Tv1 is really the only one that is effected by a stretched screen

Thanks

on my tv,i have to select auto as aspect ratio and not 16:9.
    the tv detects it and works like it should.
    when i pick 16:9 some channels are stretched.

Thanks

DM600PVR has the same problem - No 'Always 16:9' in Aspect Ratio setting.

Thanks

Same issue here the DM500 is just about the only sat box that doesnt seem to handle 16:9 <-> 4:3 switching very well.

can anyone confirm if they have either of these working - and if so what image/version you are running....

1) SCART pin 8 switching (tells your TV to switch to 16:9 only works if you have SCART of course)

2) WSS Line 23 signalling (this signal is embedded in the video signal - so only works if your TV supports it)

Thanks

mine is working
    PLI lolite,aspect ratio setting on dreambox is 16:9,aspect ratio setting on tv is auto,using normal rca plugs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeahbabi View Post
    mine is working
    PLI lolite,aspect ratio setting on dreambox is 16:9,aspect ratio setting on tv is auto,using normal rca plugs.
    Always has been with this image on both scart and a/v and svid on the other boxes (600 etc and no matter the TV we use here [an example below]) but not what the OP asked I am afraid, he needs a solution for his installed image.

It is a hobby so mileage varies
    Loving IPTV with XBMC and android M8
    Join in the XBMCHUB community and visit me at http://tvaddons.ag/

Thanks

mine is working
    Are you sure your "AUTO" setting does not just zoom the image to remove black borders. It should be locking onto 16:9 or 4:3 only.

Otherwise you get a slightly distorted aspect ratio when viewing 16:9 material (worse with 2.35:1) and a stretched image when viewing 4:3.

If it does work properly then it looks like WSS signalling is working on the DM500 and your TV is able to detect it.

Thanks

its working perfectly,if i set the TV to 16:9 i get a stretched image on the 4:3channels.

Premium Member
    Thanks

its working perfectly,if i set the TV to 16:9 i get a stretched image on the 4:3channels.
    But you don't want this do you ?

Premium Member

Thanks

I hate nothing worse than this setting. Why stretch the image and make it look out of whack just to fill the screen?

To the OP if you can't find a solution for your current image, try PLI iolite or later gemini versions. I'm pretty sure both dm500 images allow you to select "always 16:9". By selecting this option it will display 4:3 images with black bars down the sides (unstretched) and 16:9 images full screen.

Thanks

Angry

Can anyone confirm if a PLI image on a DM500 has "always 16:9"

Seems my Gemini 4.2 does'nt, really annoys me watching 4:3 stretched on to a 16:9 as my plasma does not have auto, either 16:9 or 4:3 (And no i don't want to change it myself)

Premium Member

Thanks

I can't find the always 16:9 button on the PLI image, xlrate. Seemed to be the same settings as gemini had.

Thanks

... ok ... seems to have received quite a few comments on this subject ....

Here is my take on it ...

1. DM500s with latest Gemini does not support 4:3 on a widescreen TV ( in its native 16:9 aspect ratio ) when the broadcast stream is in 4:3

2. If broadcast stream is in 16:9 - the the DM500s will produce a 16:9 aspect - not stretched.

3. If broadcast stream is 4:3 and you have 'auto' aspect ration set on your TV - then the image will be stretched.

4. The 16:9 / 4:3 config settings on the A/V config page in the Gemini is broken.

5. Pli image seems to 'stretch’ the image when in 4:3 and TV is in Auto aspect ratio also

I hope that the above is NOT conclusive ....grrrr ... it would be nice to have a ‘fix’ for this problem ...

Any H/W boffins out there that can confirm if this is a H/W circuit fault or bad software?

Is there similar problem with 7020’s with same images?

Thanks

I just bought a $3000 46" Samsung TV it does not have the "auto" setting and am getting this problem... feel ripped off. Im pretty sure the sonys do have this feature and it works properly. My Tv has a "just scan" setting but is only enabled for digital signals. I guess the only option here unless it can be done by the dream is a new firmware on the TV which could support the "auto" setting or an expensive component to HDMI convertor which costs more than the dream.

The pace boxes that comes with optus/foxtel have a setting where the aspect of 4:3 can be controlled by the tv or the STU.

Thanks

This thread is very old but I'm wondering if there is a solution now. I've got a fairly old Sharp CRT Tele and it does not have an auto setting. Hence signals broadcast in 4:3 aspect are displayed streched on the 16:9 display. I'm using Pli Image but from memory my other box with Gemini had this same issue.

Thanks

Noticed similar problem our way with a standard definition Samsung LCD and DM500s. Glad you resurected this thread as had same question on my to-do list. Unfortunately looks like this may be still the case, as has not been fixed, as interesting to see how far back this goes!

Lucky for our household (at the moment) we are receiving mostly 4:3 signals so this aspect is almost permanent on the AV channel the box resides on!
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Thanks

my guess is the DM500s probably does not have the CPU power to convert 4:3 video on the fly so the aspect ratio is maintained on a 16:9 TV. If not then it probably has more to do with the crippled software they run as it seems to be the only sat box with this issue.

Anyway, another way to get around it is if you have the right image on the DM500 and a TV that supports either WSS signalling or via SCART pin 21 switching then the TV picks up the signal is being broadcast in 16:9 or 4:3 and switches automatically.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast