Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 12567v C1 new vast channels for south east

Thanks

ABC and SBS seem to be encrypted now

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    In addition to that, at the launch of construction at the site of the Craigmore terrestrial translator (Adelaide SA) last week, Sen. Conroy announced the VAST satellite service would be operating in 3 months time.

The last I had heard was it would be ready for the first SA analogue switch off at the end of the year.

It's just another case of believe it when we see it.

I have several people in the Blue Mountains (NSW) waiting for a decision on this service, as they have NO TV reception at all, due to topography.

Yes, they are entitled to have Aurora now, but why spend money on installing Aurora, only to have to spend more to replace the decoder for VAST.

At this point in time, VAST will only be made available to those households in areas where their current terrestrial analogue service is about to be switched off, so even though VAST may actually be on air and some areas would have decoders available for it, blackspot areas in the Blue Mountains would have to wait until late 2013 (Sydney analogue shutoff) before they would be able to obtain a VAST decoder... even though they have no TV (analogue or digital) now.

This is a ridiculous restriction and I certainly hope that decision is changed.
    Its not only the Blue Mountains that are affected as I spoke to a retailer in Richmond near the RAAF base and he said that area at the foot of the mountains had numerous 'Black Spots' with both analog and Digital.
    I remember reading a history of when TV was proposed, it was expected that the TV signal would possibly cover some 25 miles (40kms) from the towers at Artarmon but they forgot the rise of the mountains as there used to be spots where at night before the light pollution blocked it, you could see the lights of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
    But like everywhere, where there is a High spot, some poor sod is in the gully.
    And Sydney with its rough topography is going to be quite a challenge.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

it shouldn't be a challenge. All they need to to do is allow anyone in a blackspot access to VAST as soon as it is operational. If you live in Sydney there should be no restriction to getting the signal at all because you would be receiving the transmission from your licence area and so nobody can complain about lost revenue from advertising.

I'm in a blackspot in sydney and have been for 15 years, I have one dish pointed for aurora and a second pointed at D1 for ABC/SBS multi channels. It seems I will have to wait another 3 years to watch GO 7two and channel 10 unless I subscribe to Fox, ridiculous!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

For those interested....

I've just been advised the new VAST STB's from Altec UEC will be available from June 8.

The DBCDE said 'Altec UEC is the initial supplier and distributor of satellite boxes' which suggests other manufacturers boxes may be added later.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

probably this one.....

there is a cheaper one, but only composite video. Why would anyone bring out a mpeg 4 hd box with composite video only ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    For those interested....

I've just been advised the new VAST STB's from Altec UEC will be available from June 8.

The DBCDE said 'Altec UEC is the initial supplier and distributor of satellite boxes' which suggests other manufacturers boxes may be added later.
    Should be interesting to see what PVR options turn up. With 4 out of the 5 networks on one sat transponder a single tuner STB will be able to record up to 10 tv channels simultaneously so you'll only need a twin tuner model to record every FTA channel simultaneously!
    Something that terrestrial PVR boxes couldn't do unless they had 5 tuners so a VAST service paired up with a good quality PVR would end the dilemma of channel recording conflicts which is all too often a problem in prime time for FTA.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

plenty of pvr models on the uec website..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    plenty of pvr models on the uec website..

Useless if they supply a bargain basement model and pair the card as stated in the VAST specs. It's up to what VAST actively supports rather than what models a manufacturer has due to the custom software they'll load on it.

Thanks

I agree with you davmel - useless that is what I expect too.

So if this STB is going on sale in June will it include the access card or is that to be purchased separately (at a later date probably 2013)??

What a joke and this is for free to air TV, yet many places already have digital well before the switch over. Thank goodness the new mining tax will mean I probably will have to move to the city, live on welfare and be able to receive all the FTA for nicks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by motor View Post
    So if this STB is going on sale in June will it include the access card or is that to be purchased separately (at a later date probably 2013)??
    The box and card are supplied together and are 'married' to each other.

Only those people authorised will be able to purchase them.

Thanks

Going by the tests this week there are a heap of VAST compatible decoders already on the market. Why bother with crap from UEC.

The DBCDE should make a card only option available . To say you can only use UEC set top boxes is in my mind being anti competitive.

Thanks

mtv - does that mean if you currently have Aurora and live outside any of the areas where digital is planned to be rolled out between now and 2013 then you'd be eligible? I have not seen any mention of dates for remote area change over.

"The subsidy opening dates for households in remote switchover areas will be published in July 2010."
    Last edited by motor; 21-05-10 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks

I'm interested in why so called "free to air" channels require encryption of any sophisticted nature. Why are they wanting to lock down the card to a box? What a joke.

Thanks

Would need to enter the boxkey if using a suitable aftermarket STB.

Water is wet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post
    Would need to enter the boxkey if using a suitable aftermarket STB.
    Encryption is Irdetov2 not Videoguard so a camkey not a boxkey is optionally involved. I'd be very surprised if a non-default unique camkey is used anyway rather than just having the box locked to a particular card rather than having the card locked to a particular box as well.
    Will have to wait and see how they are configured when available next month.

• The Following User Says Thank You to satdancer For This Useful Post:

Keepleft (22-05-10)

Premium Member

Thanks

Motor, I was guessing origionaly that as far as the Eastern States go, those west of Lithgow excluding Broken Hill would change over during the first half of 2012 and that would mean places like yours as well.
    But this is where the proposal gets sticky, does it mean places like yours, mine where there is NO reception now and others totaly on the Aurora system will be authorised to receive the VAST transmissions ??
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Gordon following the recent info posted and the post from Campersat website I assume now that if you have Aurora authorised now then you can buy a box and card and have it up and running ASAP. Time will tell at least it looks like we may not have to wait till 2012 or 2013.

Ranting and blood pressure hopefully returning to normal levels!

Thanks

Default VAST Channels appears to be all encrypted now

I found 4 TPs servicing VAST.. All channels appear to be encrypted now..
    11717 V 29998 (may actually be 30000)
    11597 V 29998
    11567 V 29998
    12447 V 29998

I suppose the unencrypted stream appearing earlier was just being tested..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malleesatellite View Post
    I found 4 TPs servicing VAST.. All channels appear to be encrypted now..
    11717 V 29998 (may actually be 30000)
    11597 V 29998
    11567 V 29998
    12447 V 29998
    Suggest you go check your values.
    The lowest transponder on D3 (11720V) does not currently have any services, not even an active null DVB multiplex.
    11597V & 11567V are several hundred MHz lower than Optus D3 even transmits on so those values are erroneous.
    12447V is the only one you got right but the symbol rate is 30000 (same as Aurora).

There are only two active VAST transponders currently:
    12447V (used by ABC for now)
    12567V (will have all VIC/NSW/ACT/TAS/SA zone channels except for ABC and news channel)

An educated guess is that after the 2 month Nine/SBS trial broadcast finishes on 12647V that the following 2 additional VAST transponders will be added:
    12607V (used for all QLD/NT zone channels except ABC & news)
    12647V (used for all WA zone channels except for ABC & news)

I also have a suspicion that 12367V could also end up being used for VAST given that Foxtel is currently migrating their services on that transponder to 12135V on Optus D3.
    Aurora/VAST will then have most of the vertical transponders on Optus C1, and the FTA re-transmissions for Foxtel will be on the vertical transponders of Optus D3.

Premium Member

Thanks

Motor, I wonder how much of Aurora do you need to have activated as I only have the ABC/SBS presently.
    I didnt bother trying for Impaja/C7 after reading their websites and I am not paying for a site survey to prove I am in a 'Black Spot' if they wont activate the card anyway.
    I had been considing buying a HD Satelitte STB untill I read the announcement of the 'locked' STB's.
    I aint spending money I dont have untill I see how the dust settles on this proposal.

• Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast