Thread: Windows XP wont boot up

Thanks

Default Windows XP wont boot up

Hi all,
    i've built a PC not too long ago and just the other day, i tried starting it up and instead of getting to the windows desktop, i get the black screen with the options to start windows in Safe Mode. Start windows In safe mode with Networking, Start windows using last good configuration, and then finally, start windows normally.

If i let the countdown get to 0, the computer boots upgain and the whole process starts again and it does the same thing.

If i select the other option, "Last known good configuration" after a while, it gets to the same screen.

Does anybody know what i can do to get it to boot up so i can recover the folder i'm after, then i can start again and reformat and reinstall.

Thanks
    Slick1

Look Here ->
    Thanks

boot into safe mode ... then shutdown .. then turn on see how it goes .. and no success go back to safe mode to recover the folder ya after .. then do windows repair ... see if that helps ...
    Trust thyself only, and another shall not betray thee.

http://s18.postimage.org/h9xu3rrhx/fb_sevapers.jpg

Thanks

Thanks for that link. i didn't have the option to repair the XP installation so it was best that i formatted and reinstalled.

I didn't loose as much data as what i thought because i did manage to back it up only last week.

Thanks
    SLick1

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

Why did you have to reformat the drive? Did it have errors?

Thanks

I couldn’t do a repair on the installation. It kept on coming up with the black screen with the option to boot in safe mode, Safe mode with networking, last known good setting, Start windows normally. Once I select “Start windows normally” it counts down to 0, reboots and does the same thing again. I couldn’t get it to boot into windows.

My main concern is why did it happen??

Slick1

Thanks

hi
    was it OEM windows? if OEM did u change mutha board or cpu? coz u will get that same symptom u had.
    from the microsoft database

Users who run a Microsoft Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) operating system may upgrade or replace most of the hardware components on the computer and still maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software provided by the OEM, with the exception of an upgrade or a replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade or a replacement of the motherboard is considered to create a new personal computer. Therefore, Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect then a new computer is created, and a new operating system license is required. If the motherboard is replaced because of a defect, the user does not need to acquire a new operating system license for the computer. The motherboard replacement must be the same make and model, or the same manufacturer’s replacement or equivalent, as defined by that manufacturer’s warranty. The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the end-user license agreement (EULA) and the support of the software covered by that EULA. The EULA is a set of usage rights granted to the end-user by the computer manufacturer. The EULA relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular computer. The System Builder is required to support the software on that individual computer.

Understanding that end-users, over time, upgrade their computers with different components, Microsoft views the CPU as the one remaining base component that still defines that original computer. Because the motherboard contains the CPU, when the motherboard is replaced for reasons other than defect, a new computer is essentially created. Therefore, the original OEM cannot be expected to support this new computer that they did not manufacture.

The licensing rules do not apply to non-OEM Microsoft operating systems.

unquote

i have this problem often when replacing a blown board for people. pisses me off coz usually i have to slave the drive into another machine to save what documents they usually havnt backed up. i think if u pay for the operating system then u should just be able to use it on whatever machine u want to.
    cheers
    treble

Thanks
    Thanked 2,800 Times in 974 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slick1 View Post
    Hi all,
    i've built a PC not too long ago and just the other day, i tried starting it up and instead of getting to the windows desktop, i get the black screen with the options to start windows in Safe Mode. Start windows In safe mode with Networking, Start windows using last good configuration, and then finally, start windows normally.

If i let the countdown get to 0, the computer boots upgain and the whole process starts again and it does the same thing.

If i select the other option, "Last known good configuration" after a while, it gets to the same screen.

Does anybody know what i can do to get it to boot up so i can recover the folder i'm after, then i can start again and reformat and reinstall.

Thanks
    Slick1
    I had exactly the same thing happen to me yesterday. I sat down at the 'puter and it restarted for no apparent reason. It would only boot up to the start in safe mode etc. I hit enter to start in last known config. It boots back up to the same screen. After trying all the options for reboot I am starting to get a bit cranky.
    I let the counter run down to 0 with it set on restart windows normally. It booted up and hasn't missed a beat.
    I have no idea what caused it and cannot find any faults so it must be a gremlin.
    Some people need to get their finger out of their arse so that the brain can get some oxygen"

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

Yes, I am aware that XP does this from time to time for no apparent reason, but reformatting hard drives is not necessary unless the drive has errors, a faulty overlay or bad sector table etc.

If you just wish to get rid of XP and install a new copy, use an NTFS boot disc, delete or rename the Windows directory and start installing the new OS.

Thanks

I had same problem last thursday just getting going again, there's been a few around here lately

Thanks

did anybody else do a windows update recently as i had the same problem early this week with one of my comps that had a windows update done after a lot of swearing and a system repair it is back and running again
    IF IT DONT WORK USE A BIGGER HAMMER

Thanks

the computer which this happened to isn't connected to any network or the internet. The WInXP i installed already has SP2. No other updates have been installed so i suppose that eliminates a windows update....

Slick1

Thanks
    Thanked 2,800 Times in 974 Posts

I have just had the same problem again but this time it was caused by a couple of flash drives and my printer.
    Plug the flash drives into the usb and the computer resarts into recovery mode. I have a canon mp530 printer and as soon as you turn it on the same problem.
    I was tearing my hair out trying to work out what was causing this conflict with only some equiptment.
    As an off chance I restored my computer to the day before I installed SP3.
    Problem solved.
    There must have been a conflict with SP3 and some equiptment running through usb.
    Maybe SP3 has a bug in that particular area. Other than that it works fine.
    Some people need to get their finger out of their arse so that the brain can get some oxygen"

Thanks

Default Windows XP wont boot up

I'm about to fit a new motherboard to a PC with XP Pro SP3. I used my old motherboard to upgrade my daughter's PC and had the boot problems. Solved it there by formatting, re-installing Windows and applications (got rid of all the rubbish on her PC).

Now back to my PC. I understand I'll have to do a Repair install but what if that doesn't work. I have a ghost image of the HD but if I restore that won't it have the details of the old motherboard?

Luckily I have 2 HDD and all my data is on D: drive and it won't be too much of a pain to re-install all the applications on C: drive but if I can avoid it so much the better.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Nifty