Thread: Options for upgrading a Wiikey 1 install?

Thanks

Default Options for upgrading a Wiikey 1 install?

I have a launch model Wii I'm wondering what to do with (well a friend wants it but it won't play new super mario bros). It's been sitting around and I'm out of the loop with mod options now available.

A Wiikey 1 (1.9s) is soldered in and 4.1e update installed, no homebrew or softmod. Softmod likely to be a non-starter as more likely to stuff up patching etc.

Would prefer running games from DVD rather than SD or an external HDD, though I have access to both of those.

No update from Wiikey.cn for the legacy chip, so is it better to softmod or take the chip out (or cut the wires) and put a new chip in?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

To play NSMB on wiikey1 you can run it through geckoOS.
    Whilst this is a softmod, you dont need to alter your IOS files (which is the cause of bricks). Its a really simple softmod.

Otherwise you can just remove the Wiikey1 and install a new chip.

Ive been suggesting to new customers that 1 game isn't worth a new chip though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by urban_s0ulja View Post
    To play NSMB on wiikey1 you can run it through geckoOS.
    Whilst this is a softmod, you dont need to alter your IOS files (which is the cause of bricks). Its a really simple softmod.
    I was thinking about future games too, but for nsmb purposes... if I install gecko os and run through that you don't need to change anything else, and the disc iso doesn't need patching?

All the how-tos are quoting iso changes and 3 other pieces of homebrew plus non-standard settings to run it (from disc anyway, though could live with sd booting for one game).

Also i assume it's better to install gecko os and avoid the latest wii updates?