Thread: Complete newbie needs to buy a Chinese GPS from Ebay - advice?

Thanks

Default Complete newbie needs to buy a Chinese GPS from Ebay - advice?

Hi austech, I'm a first time poster here

I've done some searching and read some stickies, and right now my head's spinning from information overload

I need to buy a 5" GPS - cheap and completely open (i.e. I need to be able to load my own downloaded programs / OS's into it), and currently planning to buy a Chinese one on ebay for about $100

My end goal is to have a GPS that has the basic functions of GPS, speed camera detection, up to date maps etc. Nothing too custom / fancy.

I need just a few basic questions answered:

1) any recommendations on what to look out for when buying a Chinese one on ebay? e.g. any 'brands' to stick with and to avoid? any specifications I should look for?

2) are all Chinese ones completely 'open'? i.e. I need to be able to load whatever I download onto the device.

3) what exactly IS a Chinese GPS anyway? I'm pretty computer savvy so I want to understand fundamentally what this device is. Is it basically a completely open PDA that I can load Windows CE etc onto it? can I load Linux distros onto it? etc

Thanks for helping out a newbie.
    Cheers guys!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I am in the process of buying one at the moment if you want to wait until I post a few findings.

I believe Tomtom wont run on some. The chinese units run Windows CE 5 or 6 which is a cut down version of Windows Mobile.

Look for something with 128 meg ram, not 64.

I have only previously had Windows Mobile GPS apps running so I cant answer alot until mine arrives.

BTW, there is one for sale in the BST forum the exact same as what I am getting. Might be worth a look, member is in Australia and you will get in quicker. Also has bluetooth and FM transmitter.

Thanks

Cool, thanks mate, I have a semi-solid understanding now! Feeling confident enough to make a quick buy...

I've been continuing my search in the last hour and I'm about to pull the trigger on this one:

There's a NON bluetooth version for $15 cheaper, so Im tossing between which one to get

So does anyone have opinions on how good the bluetooth handsfree function are on these devices? crappy microphone / sound quality? weak signal? any issues like that?