Thread: Domaine name insted of Static IP

Thanks

Default Domaine name insted of Static IP

Is it possible use a domaine name insted of a static IP to be a server? . If so , what I need to run a server . Regards kaza

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Short version yes.
    You can either user a dynamic DNS service that will allow you to use on of there DNS Zones and store your IP address on it.

If you want your own domain name. eg: (just made that up).... then you will need to buy the domain name (there are many places to do that, so cheap and nasty others a bit costly) most you should have to pay (and this is the top end, so shop around) is $120 for 2 years for an .au domain name.

To use you domain name you may (I have not checked) be able to find a DDNS service that will host it for you. If this is the case you could use a dynamic IP from you isp then update the A record for that via the DDNS services. If not you have 3 options.
    a) A static IP Address then use your domain name registrar to host the DNS server stuff for you (most will do it included in the price you paid for the name).
    b) A static IP Address then setup your own DNS Server at home (and find some frindly mate to run a 2nd dns server). Alot more work for you
    c) Find someone that will host a dynamic update for you domain hosts.

I know it can be done as I setup a proof of concept project a few years back and wrote some custom software to make it work.

Have a look at the Dynamic DNS Services like
    These will allow you to have a free service (limited) as well as look after your domain name for a fee.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crypto7 View Post
    Short version yes.
    You can either user a dynamic DNS service that will allow you to use on of there DNS Zones and store your IP address on it.

If you want your own domain name. eg: (just made that up).... then you will need to buy the domain name (there are many places to do that, so cheap and nasty others a bit costly) most you should have to pay (and this is the top end, so shop around) is $120 for 2 years for an .au domain name.

To use you domain name you may (I have not checked) be able to find a DDNS service that will host it for you. If this is the case you could use a dynamic IP from you isp then update the A record for that via the DDNS services. If not you have 3 options.
    a) A static IP Address then use your domain name registrar to host the DNS server stuff for you (most will do it included in the price you paid for the name).
    b) A static IP Address then setup your own DNS Server at home (and find some frindly mate to run a 2nd dns server). Alot more work for you
    c) Find someone that will host a dynamic update for you domain hosts.

I know it can be done as I setup a proof of concept project a few years back and wrote some custom software to make it work.

Have a look at the Dynamic DNS Services like
    These will allow you to have a free service (limited) as well as look after your domain name for a fee.
    Thanks for reply crypto7 . I have domain name (xxxxxxx.com) and paid for DNS and now I don't know how to set up to have connection like static IP? . regards kaza

Thanks

If you have a static IP address and simply want to use a domain name, then you need to setup and "A" record in the DNS.
    eg: Lets say your real "static" ip address is 1.2.3.4 and your domain is goodtimes.com and you want to have a "host name" called homeserver.goodtimes.com
    then your dns hosting service should allow you to request or update your records somehow. if you need to request it be setup then you will need to ask for something like this.

Can you setup and "A" record for homeserver.goodtimes.com with an IP address of 1.2.3.4

Note: An "A" Records is an host name to IP4 address

Once the have done that (or you have done it), you should then be able to test that it resolves.
    eg:
    ping homeserver.goodtimes.com
    The ping may timeout depending on firewall rules etc, but it should at least resolve to the correct IP.

Once that is working then you simple let people know the host name and they should be able to use that and just replace the IP Address.

On the other hand, if you want to drop your static, then you will need a provider to proide a ddns service for you (as above).

Note: Depending you your home device (internet gateway) or home computer, your ISP the dynamic dns may not update at the sometime as your IP does, thus will have pause between your IP chaning and people getting to your server. Also DNS records will have a TTL (Time To Live). If this is set to 3600 (1hr) and someone gets the A record, they wont check for a new IP until the TTL expires (1hr in this case). So without a static IP you will need to keep this value low.