Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finding Optus D2 Signal in Melbourne using Foxtel Dish

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Well done mat101...Go get 1 stripe added to your installing uniform.

Your on the way up now...you'll get keen to do more things now...it's like a bug..it get's you.

Nice to hear a good ending...makes the forum more worthwhile for it's members.

Thanks

Thanks guys !

Thanks

Hi,
    Sorry for digging out an old post. I find my situation and issue is exact the same as the one from this thread, which is trying to use an old Foxtel dish (65cm) for Optus D2.

I've been trying to align the dish (4 degree to the left - from behind), but I could not get any signal apart from the one at 156E (Optus C1/D3).

- my STB (Skybox F3) settings:
    + Satellite: K_Optus D2
    + LNB Freq: Universal (9750-10750)
    + Transponder: 12644 V 22500
    + 22K: Auto (grey out - can't change)
    - my LNB: sharp quad LNBF-Ku BS1R8AR428A -from web search, freq 10700
    - I also use a sat-finder Satlink WS-6903 ().

I'm not sure with my 'cheapo' sat-finder, I can increase its sensitivity. I don't have any manual/instruction on how to use it. There are 2 buttons under the 'ATT' label (arrow to the left and arrow to the right) which I don't know what they are for. The sat-finder pick up the signal from Optus C1/D3 fine. LED show 99, with buzzer sounds in quick tempo, which I think indicate a very strong signal. When I start rotate away, the LED display going down, with the buzzer sound goes slower until silence, and the LED display 17. I rotate the dish upto 45 degree both to the left and right of the original location (156E), but could not get any other signal.

I would appreciate if someone can point out if I did something wrong, or anything else I can try.
    Thanks
    D
    Last edited by zcooler; 21-08-12 at 01:09 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

zcooler,

The operating instructions for your satfinder are available here:

The ATT are attenuation buttons, to increase (up) or decrease (down) the amount of signal attenuation.

As D2 signals are lower than those of C1/D3, you need to increase the sensitivity. Eg: decrease the attenuation.

Next, your decoder must have the correct LNB settings to match the LNB in use.

You say your LNB has a LO of 10700, but you show your decoder is selected for a universal LNB. (9750-10750)

You must change this to a single 10700 LNB (I'm not familiar with your decoder, so whatever setting that shows a single figure of 10700)

D2 is a little to the left (west) and a little higher than C1/D3. When viewed from behind the dish.

LNB skew is important. If you are in the eastern states of Australia, the LNB output connectors will be approx at the 7 o'clock position.

You will need to see a signal scale screen from your decoder to optimise the LNB skew, as your satfinder will not display signal quality.

Now you have access to instructions for your satfinder... that should make it easier to find.

Just ensure you have your decoder set up correctly first.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

zcooler (23-08-12)

Thanks

I'll just point out that the sats are much closer together than most people would beleive. If you move the dish off C1/D3 in the correct direction, as soon as the meter bottoms out, it will jump straight back up, as you are onto the next sat.
    I got 99 problems and a crimp aint one...

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nbound View Post
    If you move the dish off C1/D3 in the correct direction, as soon as the meter bottoms out, it will jump straight back up, as you are onto the next sat.
    This is why you must have the sensitivity turned up, because C1/D3 is comparably much stronger, so if you dont have the sensitivity/gain up, it won't register the weaker signals of the other sats when you have the dish pointed at them.

Thanks

thanks mtv for the instructions. Now it gives me the 'motivation' to try again this weekend. I can see a few things I can try:

- setting with the attenuation
    - try not to have the satfinder in front of the dish

My LNB skew is already at around 7 o'clock position, and yes, I'm in Eastern Aus (Melb - VIC).

LNB Freq: from memory, I can only select from a drop-down list, and there is no entry with the single value 10700. But I'll double check again.

How can I check if my LNB (Sharp: LNBF-Ku BS1R8AR428A) is a high gain one? googling doesn't come up with anything.

The SatFinder instruction mentions using RG-59 for jump cable. Is it an issue to use RG6 cable?

I also notice that on the wall plate (for coax socket), there is an electric cable come out and plug into a power point. Not sure why the wall socket would need power for. We have the system initially installed by Foxtel.

Administrator
    Thanks

The Sharp LNB's are fairly consistent with gain, so unless it's some rare model, I wouldn't be concerned about the LNB gain.

I always use RG6 Quadshield cable for the 'jump' cable.

RG6 Quadshield is the standard cable for satellite and digital terrestrial installations, so there's little point using RG59 (yes, it's a little more flexible by comparison).

Whatever the power plug is, it's unlikely to be connected to anything with your satellite dish.

Perhaps for a masthead or distribution amp for your TV antenna?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zcooler View Post
    LNB Freq: from memory, I can only select from a drop-down list, and there is no entry with the single value 10700. But I'll double check again.
    Make sure your LNB type is set to single, or something to that effect, not universal (universal LNBs have more than one freq which is switched by your box).
    I got 99 problems and a crimp aint one...

Administrator
    Thanks

Any development on this, zcooler?

Thanks

I finally had the chance to tried again yesterday, when it's sunny and the sky is clear. I also manage to borrow a portable LCD, and bring the whole system (STB + LCD + SatFinder) to the roof.

I did change the LNB setup to use single value of 10700, and start the SatFinder at highest sensitivity level. However, there was still no luck. It could only pick up signal from Optus C1/D3 at 156E, quite easily.

I got my STB tested with my friend's dish and it worked fine. So I can exclude the STB as the problem. This leaves me with a question if the LNB was configured by Foxtel to only work its signal/setting? I'm just asking a newbie question without knowing if it is even possible. If it is, then I may consider buy a new LNB and try again.

Administrator
    Thanks

This leaves me with a question if the LNB was configured by Foxtel to only work its signal/setting? I'm just asking a newbie question without knowing if it is even possible. If it is, then I may consider buy a new LNB and try again.
    No, Foxtel use bog-standard LNB's which cannot be altered in any way.

If the LNB works for you to find C1/D3, then it's working fine.

Considering the LNB works and so does your decoder on another dish, that only leaves your dish not being correctly aligned for D2.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Tiny (03-09-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink Repoint from C1/D3 to D2.

I finally had the chance to tried again yesterday, when it's sunny and the sky is clear. I also manage to borrow a portable LCD, and bring the whole system (STB + LCD + SatFinder) to the roof.

I did change the LNB setup to use single value of 10700, and start the SatFinder at highest sensitivity level. However, there was still no luck. It could only pick up signal from Optus C1/D3 at 156E, quite easily.

I got my STB tested with my friend's dish and it worked fine. So I can exclude the STB as the problem. This leaves me with a question if the LNB was configured by Foxtel to only work its signal/setting? I'm just asking a newbie question without knowing if it is even possible. If it is, then I may consider buy a new LNB and try again.
    G'Day Cobber.
    Your problem is that you have not moved the dish from C1/D3 to D2.

Mark your current Azimuth on the Mast and Elevation on the Bracket.
    Now D2 is to the west or left looking from behind the dish. Just a few mm.
    Then the Elevation needs to be raised slightly.
    You cannot get D2 from it's current position for Foxtel.
    Nothing wrong with the LNB setup.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

quote:zcooler.20/8:I've been trying to align the dish (4 degree to the left - from behind), but I could not get any signal apart from the one at 156E (Optus C1/D3)quote.
    I might be misreading the posts but are you setting the frequency you want on the STB for D2 and then with the Satfinder in line and the STB connected to a screen,very slowly turning the whole dish to your left while your facing NORTH.
    Before I moved a dish I had set up on C1, I marked the pole with a Texta so I could easily reset the dish and that mark can give you an idea how far you have turned the dish.
    As you turn the dish you should get some indication from the satfinder if your near D2.
    That's when you really go slow for the best position and try adjusting the elevation and maybe the skew of the LNB.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12